TripAdvisor
Overland Park
Post
Inbox
Search

“Fabulous authentic Korean deliciousness”

Korean Restaurant Sobahn
Ranked #156 of 602 Restaurants in Overland Park
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed November 23, 2016

My first time here, with someone who lived in Korea. She ordered for the table, yay! Everything was amazing. She doesn't want to try other Korean restaurants because she doesn't want to be disappointed. No need anyway. Sobahn is wonderful.

Date of visit: November 2016
Write a reviewReviews (29)

Reviewed October 29, 2016 via mobile

Homesick? Hangover? This authentic Korean restaurant is key. Great authentic Korean restaurant for those with Seoul in their heart.

I love the stews and noodles here and with every sip I am reminded of my stay in Korea.

Date of visit: October 2016
Reviewed August 12, 2016

This is the first time we ate at this restaurant. I heard it was good & have been meaning to try it. I have traveled to Korea many times & miss the food there.
A friend who has been living in Korea for the past 4 years was back in town visiting & I thought this was a perfect time to get together & share some Korean food.
I had the bulgogi. It was good but I did miss the traditional way of cooking at the table, like it is done in Korea. That's would have been part of the fun - cooking it yourself at the table.
We also shared Mandu Guk. It was flavorful & had lots of dumplings.
The service was spotty. Good at first, then slow. As more people came in the server had a hard time keeping up.
Prices are average.

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed July 17, 2016

I wasn't sure what to expect pulling up to a restaurant in a strip mall. Once seated at their beautiful wood dining tables I immediately forgot where I was and became deeply immersed in the menu and calm environment. I have returned several times since my first visit. It's become the special place I take people who matter.

Ask questions - the servers are friendly and helpful and they genuinely want you to enjoy their food. They will recommend and explain everything. They are attentive but not intrusive. Have some hot tea and relax into a meal that can transcend a bad day in a matter of bites.

Don't be intimidated by this menu. The flavors are really quite familiar, it's the presentation that is different. Try the Kun Mandu - a fried dumpling with beef, onion and glass noodles. The flavors will take you to the beef and noodle dishes popular in midwestern winters, but it's tucked into this tasty little wonton. For further investigation of the glass noodles I can also recommend japchae. It's noodles and veggies in sweet soy. The Kimbap is also a favorite - imagine a salad constructed of raw asian veggies that is served in a maki roll presentation and that would be kimbap. You get what only seems like a huge order until you start eating.

Banchan - it's what makes the experience special. Small dishes of sides like dressed or pickled veggies and kimchee... Which I found foul and off-putting until I tried it at Sobahn. Meant to compliment your bites or cleanse your palate it's exciting to be served so many things to try.

Dol Sots are a great choice for an entree. Served in a scalding stone bowl that's your best friend in the winter months. Spicy seafood fans should really try the kongnamul - squid and bean sprout. The safe choice for my dining companions has been the bibim bap - beef and veggies topped with a fried egg. The beauty of the steaming stone bowl is the aromatic experience followed by the delicious bits of crisped rice. Delicious in every language.

Be adventurous and let the welcoming folks at Sobahn give you a meal you'll crave for more than just the food.

Date of visit: June 2016
1  Thank JaneDoughnut
Reviewed April 9, 2016 via mobile

Had the Haemul Pajun(small seafood pancake), Dol Sot Bibim Bap and the Bulgogi. All was very good. Service was very nice and patient with our loud mouthed and rambunctious 2 and 4 year old boys. Prices were reasonable for the portion sizes. Will definitely come back in the future.

Date of visit: April 2016