Tripadvisor
Overland Park
Post
Inbox
Search

“Not overwhelmed, not underwhelmed...totally UNwhelmed in every way.”

Korean Restaurant Sobahn
Order Online
Ranked #155 of 602 Restaurants in Overland Park
Cuisines: Korean
Reviewed April 6, 2015

I was disappointed in this restaurant. I had high hopes due to the reviews, but it didn't live up to the reputation. Having actually visited South Korea and having true honest-to-god delicious Korean food, this restaurant is merely a shadow of the real thing.

We had the mandu, haemul pajeon, and dol sot bibimbap. The mandu was cooked nicely, but lacked seasoning. The haemul pajeon wasn't anything like what it was in South Korea, both in texture and in flavor. I realize that Kansas City isn't the place to get fresh seafood, so I can't judge them on using frozen, but the pancake itself was the wrong texture and wasn't seasoned well. The dol sot bibimbap was served crackling hot as it should be, but again lacked in seasoning. Korean food should be full of flavor and it just was not present here. They served only five tiny banchan with the meal -- honestly they should go all out on the banchan since they're cheap, and it's one way to pack a lot of flavor into a meal. Also, they didn't have makkeoli...

The service was extremely slow, even though we came in at 4pm on a weekday when there were no other customers in the place. I'm giving them an average rating because Kansas City really isn't a hub of cultural diversity, but if this restaurant was on the east or west coast, they'd be blown away by the competition.

Sadly disappointed. I really hoped this was going to be great.

Date of visit: April 2015
Write a reviewReviews (29)

Reviewed October 18, 2014

First time at Sobahn and I was truly impressed! We started with some Ty Ku (a rice vodka but smooth and delicious) and I highly recommend it. Kimbap is a sushi roll and was a unique combination of flavors. Kimchi Jun was the best I've ever had. Had to try their Bulgogi and was definitely not disappointed. My date had the daegu jjigae and could not stop commenting on how rich and delicious it was. She got an egg on top for a 50 cent upcharge. Staff was awesome. I will definitely be going back to Sobahn!

Date of visit: October 2014
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I've visited this restaurant 3 times now. Last visit was the last.
Service has always been bad, but the first 2 times I came the food was great and I would still come simply for that reason.

Unfortunately, the food ranged from ok to awful on my final visit, and that's it for me. So sad.

The vegetable pancake was great in visit 2, not good for visit 3.
Tried a 3 new items for visit 3, one ok ( kim chee stew with a few extremely fatty pieces of pork - mainly fat), one we sent back because the fish was rubbery and shredded in a thick grey stew (and we were still charged us for it), and one was just boring (huge pieces of boiled? tasteless tofu with warmed kim chee on top) and not recommended.

So, expect bad service definitely (see other reviews - sums it up), food - your taking your chances there. I HAVE had delicious food there, but I will not go back because of the chance of having to pay for bad food again. Different cook? I don't know... I don't know their schedules.

Date of visit: May 2014
Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

I saw one employee. I waited forever. A person at a nearby table walked out after ordering. Ridiculous wait. Ridiculous. The employee was apologetic. But geez. I mean the worst wait ever.

Date of visit: March 2014
Reviewed March 29, 2014

We waited an hour for our food to arrive, and was told they were very busy.

Not sure if I will go back.

Date of visit: March 2014