“Okay Business Hotel”

Marriott Kansas City Overland Park
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed January 12, 2011

Hotel property is your regular Marriott business hotel and caters to such. Of course, it does need some work with the public areas as they have become dated and the elevators need some serious maintenance attention. Very close to Sprint and you see a lot of their employees here as well. I worked remotely from my hotel room one day and thought about taking my laptop downstairs but everything is a ghost town from around 11 AM – 2 PM so I ended up at the Applebee’s across the street. Other than that, everything else was okay but I will stay down the street on my following visit and check the Sheraton.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed October 31, 2010

Nice, well maintained property. Good location, right off freeway and close to restaurants and shopping. Staff is certainly friendly and accommodating. However, the property is somewhat dated and the rooms are small. Fridge didn't work in the room I had, so the front desk asked if I wanted another one sent up. I said "no" and discovered a new fridge had been brought up the next day. Staff is very responsive. Only problem is that the hotel was full and only one of the three elevators was working during my seven-night stay. Inconvenient to say the least. And the safe was too small to hold a large laptop computer.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Everyone was very friendly and went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable. I checked in one afternoon and the next morning went to the front desk and the clerk called me by name - even though she had just met me once when I checked in.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2010

The Marriott was well appointed with fridge and safe in the room. It also had laptop hookup and wifi. The king size bed was really comfy except the fact the sheet kept coming undone from the corner, which can be quite annoying, but overall was very comfortable. The Epicure restaurant was fair however, the breakfast buffet was $16/per person. A bit pricey if you ask me. The bar area was great, especially Steven, the server (he deserves a raise!) The pool and fitness room serve their purpose, pretty basic though.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 21, 2010

Stayed at the Overland Park Marriott with husband recently and found the hotel to be fine. Husband travels frequently to this location and we appreciated the new updates to the hotel. Not sure why this Marriott is listed as a "Category 3" while the one in Country Club Plaza is a "Category 5". Really feel that this one is just as nice and enjoyed the stay. I was not as impressed however with the Nikko Japanese Steakhouse located in the hotel. Since it was pouring down rain we chose to eat in the hotel rather then venture out--what a mistake. For one they gave me a hard time when I presented the server with a "Marriott Rewards Dining Coupon for one free entree"--the waiter stated--"oh I have not seen one of these in a long time". I had actually checked with the hotel beforehand and they had assured me that the coupon would work. Anyway, when the waiter brought the bill not only was the one entree not removed ($29) but he then proceeded to charge us for an additional beer and an additional glass of wine to the tune of ($16). When I pointed the errors to the waiter he acted surprised, but then eventually removed the items. Unfortunately I did not realize that the gratuity was included until after we left the restaurant--so I guess the joke was on me after all--since I ended up leaving a total of $30 for the gratuity! This really annoys me since typically gratuities are only added when a large party is being served or in Europe! Bet lots of people make this same mistake and walk out leaving way more than they intended. Don't let it happen to you. Oh well, lesson learned--as we won't be going back anytime soon. Hope that hotel management considers this issue and stops allowing the automatic gratuity or makes it a clearer up front that gratuity will be included.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed August 8, 2010

We had rooms registered at one of the competitors across the highway and when we check in to tht hotel the rooms were awful, we then went over to Mariiott and they were able to squeeze us in at a busy time with 8 rooms! The rooms are spacious, clean, beds comfy, baths clean. The pool has an inside and ousite pool, the kids all swam and had a great time. Pay extra for the breakfast buffet, it was great.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Stayed here for one night on 10th floor - room was VERY nice & well-appointed.. Could certainly see throughout most of the hotel where the renovations had been done, but one glaring omission was the pool!! Peeling paint, cracks everywhere on walls, floating styrofoam in the water (plus water temp was WAY too cold even for July)... Am hoping this is next on their list for help....

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family