“Good Choice in Overland Park”

Marriott Kansas City Overland Park
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed August 4, 2014

Most of the reviews on this site give the Overland Park Marriott a "4" rating and that is about right. I would say it's a good hotel, and you likely won't go wrong staying here, but a little short of excellent.

The hotel itself is just off the freeway. Inside, it's a pretty standard Marriott. The hotel is about 30 years old, but has undergone renovation short of a complete makeover. Some of the finishes in the public area have a plastic feel to them, but the bathroom countertop was granite and the furniture in the room was wood, modern and attractive. There was a 32 inch or so flat panel TV and a variety of cable stations, as well as a larger desk with easy charge ports.

The hotel is not far from the convention center and access was easy. There is ample parking outside, which you would expect in a somewhat suburban location such as this.

They have two or three restaurants in the hotel, including a bar, a Japanese restaurant and another called "Epicure" which serves American fare. There is also a Starbucks downstairs.
The staff was extremely friendly, which is a huge plus.

Marriott charges either $13 or $16 per day for internet access (the price depends on speed), which was excessive, particularly since I was paying over $200 for my room. I only needed limited access, and was able to use the free access in the lobby.

While they had a Speakman shower head in the shower, which was nice, the plumbing seemed kind of weak and the toilet in the bath gurgled almost randomly on and off throughout the night.

Between the State of Kansas and the City of Overland Park, the taxes add up to about 17% of the total. This isn't the fault of the hotel as any hotel in the same city will have the same tax rate, but add that amount (plus internet if you want it) into the price.

There are many hotel choices in Overland Park. The Overland Park Marriott is a good choice.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

ElaineandGreg: Your assessment of the hotel was very thoughtful. I totally agree that our staff is huge asset and they are very friendly! Toni C, General Manager

Reviewed August 4, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Overland Park Mariott in July of 2014 and were satisfied in every way. It met Marriott's high expectations of cleanliness, service, location, and extras. It was about 15 minutes from downtown KC and really had a great location. The public areas were very nice with a great vibe, good bar and several restaurants, and a Starbucks on-site. We ordered room service late one night and found the food terrific!

The pool area was really, really good and we had it mostly to ourselves for 3 days. It was a combo indoor/outdoor pool, with several different areas to lay out: shade, full sun, dining tables, etc. and spotless clean as was the hotel. My wife really enjoyed the sushi bar which is also on-site. The exercise room (which we used every day) had 4 treadmills, several elipticals, free weights, nautilus weights, and free headphones to plug into the aerobic equipment.

Overall, a very satisfying stay and hotel. We will definitely go back.

1  Thank MDMUSA

MDMUSA: I am so pleased you were able to enjoy so much of what our property has to offer and had a wonderful experience! Toni C, General Manager

Reviewed August 2, 2014

One thing I noticed was that the hotel has elevators that move very quickly. The hotel was busy when we were there but I never felt I had to wait too long for an elevator.

The rooms in this hotel are typical for a full service Marriott. The room had an easy chair and space enough to be comfortable but it was not an overly large room.

Not so Great - The only issue I had with the room was that there were no outlets near the chair. There are outlets at the desk and nightstand on the opposite side of the bed from the chair. If someone is at the desk the other person needs to sit on the bed to work with electronics that need plugged in. Sitting in the chair with your electronics isn’t an option unless you travel with a power strip.

The only problem I noted with the bathroom was that there were no towel bars or rings. You had to lay your hand towel on the counter. The shower head was a larger head that gave a more rain like stream ad did not seem to have an adjustment to make the stream more vigorous.

Great - The concierge lounge was the best I’ve encountered in a long time. They served a meal - soup, main course, veg, salad, cheese and fruit. Simply wonderful. The lounge, and how well it is provisioned, will bring me back to this hotel. The evening meal was my favorite but breakfast was good too. They had scrambled eggs and a choice of sausages or bacon. In addition, they had the normal selection of breads, oatmeal, cereals and fruit. The Starbucks coffee was nice and bold and delicious. The lounge attendants were super and the work really, really hard.

For Marriott Rewards members that stay multiple days and want to forgo daily housekeeping service, the hotel offers 500 points for each day that they do not use housekeeping services. This is a new trend that I certainly find appealing - wish I was staying for multiple days.

Finally, I appreciated the abundant, free parking.

1  Thank AGoingGal
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2014

AGoingGal: Your analysis of the property is very much appreciated! Thank you for recognizing our hotel especially the hard working and friendly concierge lounge attendants, they are super. Toni C, General Manager.

Reviewed August 2, 2014

If you've read my other reviews you will know I am very picky & particular when it comes to my hotels. I stayed one night and it was a very busy Friday night for the hotel. I had to wait in line fore at least 10 minutes at the front desk, but after that I have NO complaints. The staff was friendly and smiling. There was a boys basketball tournament in town, so the hotel was hopping with a bunch of high school boys. I walked into my room and heard nothing, smelled clean looked clean, was clean and ohhhh so comfortable. The room I stayed in looked like it was a new hotel - I was so grateful for that. I would stay here again in a heartbeat....because it was clean and quiet and that is what I was there for - a quiet, comfortable night and that is what I got.

Room Tip: If you want quiet ask for a "quiet" room. Even specify this in your reservations...they a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

kcangel1: Your review made me smile! Our housekeeping and engineering team work very hard to maintain our property and it shows. Thank you also for recognizing our team’s friendliness, we truly do enjoy working in the hospitality business. All the best, Toni C, General Manager

Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night after a long drive. The lobby was very busy and quite crowded but check in was quick and efficient. Since I'm a Marriott gold member, I was given a room on the top floor. It was very quiet and the bed was extremely comfortable. The room was large however the bathroom was pretty small. Will stay here again if I'm in the area overnight.

Stayed: June 2014
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2014

We look forward to hosting you again soon! Toni C, General Manager

Reviewed July 27, 2014

We booked this hotel for the weekend for our anniversary. We have stayed at this hotel in the past and were always satisfied. It was a busy weekend and the hotel was full. The staff was very friendly and we didn't have any problems with check in. Upon arriving in our room we found an almost empty bottle of wine and an open water bottle in the mini fridge. Yuck! Other than that the room was comfortable. Marriott beds are some of the best! They really should pay more attention to the pool area. We went down for a quick cool off and the pool looked like it hadn't been cleaned in awhile - bugs, dirt and hair floating in the cloudy water. The pool deck was dirty inside and out. So much for a relaxing time at the pool.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

When a guest stays at a Marriott hotel, they expect and deserve quality accommodations and service. Please accept my sincere apology for our failure to deliver on these most basic expectations. Thank you so much for sharing your feedback with me. I have shared your experience with my senior housekeeping leader so that we may follow up on where our processes failed. I truly hope we have an opportunity to regain your trust and confidence.

Toni C, General Manager

Reviewed July 22, 2014

This would be best described as you average aging suburban Marriott. I have stayed here several times on business. It seems like they have remodeled in the past few years but you can tell it is still an older hotel. Service is always fast and friendly. The Starbucks in the lobby (full service, not the "serving Starbucks coffee" variety) is very convenient and perhaps the best feature of the hotel. My colleague nailed it when he described the bar as "feeling like the place they would hold your high school reunion". Wanted to try the hotel restaurant one night, but walked in and it was empty so we ventured across the street instead. An OK property if you have business in the area, but not somewhere to go for a special occassion.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2014

Last Friday, we actually celebrated the 30th anniversary of our opening. A few years ago we spent $20M to modernize the hotel and just last year we replaced all the beds. The people are truly what makes our place special...that and of course access to a full service Starbucks isn't bad either!