“Great hotel, great location”

Marriott Kansas City Overland Park
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Decatur, Indiana
“Great hotel, great location”
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Entry is grand and spacious opening on a casual restaurant, and bar and business center and lobby - yes easy to see many options. Starbucks off lobby if you are up for coffee. Rooms are extremely nice,comfortable and quiet. Many places to eat within a 3 mile radius

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Thanks for letting us host you!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Reviewed November 21, 2013

I stayed one night on business at the Overland Park Marriott. As Marriott's go, this one is pretty standard. What really impressed me was the friendly and attentive service by every member of staff I encountered, from my reception at the front desk, to housecleaning, to the servers in the restaurant. I really felt like a welcomed guest and would definitely return to this hotel on a future visit to Kansas City.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, November 23, 2013
Thank you for your post! I will share your kind compliments with our team. It means a lot to them when people recognize their “Spirit to Serve”! We look forward to your return visit.
Ankeny, Iowa
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a 2nd time and continue to have great stays. Friendly staff, very helpful. Clean hotel that is big but doesn't feel crowded. Rooms well appointed and fresh. Plenty of room to hang out in the lobby with friends between games. Would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments about our hotel's cleanliness and service levels! We appreciate and value your perspective and thank you for sharing with others.
Reviewed November 2, 2013

Terriffic reception and service. We stayed on the concierge floor and the service level exceeded hotel that are much more expensive. Room as as good as I expect from a Marriot and even though we faced the Interstate there was no traffic noise. Also fresh baked cookies everywhere in the hotel made you feel right at home.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael C
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments about our service. We look forward to hosting you again.
Bethesda, Maryland
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Being familiar with this property and its staff for the last 5 years, I must share my observations concerning its disappointing trends with front desk service.

I could not have imagined a hotel employing front desk attendants with seemingly no ability to attend to check-in services and other duties thought to be inherent to such a position. Indeed, this property handled such responsibilities just like any other functional hotel for some time; that is until the last 2 years roughly. At that point it was clear staffing and management changes suddenly caused front desk staff members to be utterly inept at their basic responsibilities, namely identifying room assignments available upon check-in after the designated 3 p.m. arrival time.

As someone with hotel employment experience, I have gleaned that current staffers simply have not been trained or are not expected to utilize this property's 400-room inventory to adjust room assignments for guests on the fly, instead cursing other hotel departments as though any given room should be clean and available for check-in simply because the room assignment had been designated overnight or earlier in the day, well in advance of current guest checkout realities and without regard for which rooms had or had not been serviced by housekeeping.

I'm not sure which segment of the staff ought to be replaced with robots (nor should that be the optimal solution), but both the front desk staff and the negligent management team are battling for that sad distinction. A robot may not cater to my admittedly self-centered request for a room upgrade, but at least a robot could reliably identify room options. Not to mention, reply to such posts with predictably phrased hotel management comments.

Room Tip: Immediately request the front desk manager to process your check-in.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Sir, thank you for providing your candid feedback. Meeting all guest room requests and preferences can be a challenge in a busy hotel. We have a process in place to be as accommodating as possible, but when we are unable to deliver upon a request, it is imperative that our team listens and is empathetic with the guest, providing as many options as possible. Clearly, based on your feedback we have failed to do so and it has caused a great deal of frustration and for that I hope you will accept my sincere apology. I have shared your comments with Calin, Sr. Rooms Manager and Chad M, Director of Hotel Operations. We would appreciate the opportunity to visit with you to understand more clearly your experience. Feel free to reach out to us directly.
West Lafayette, Indiana, United States
Reviewed October 18, 2013

The Overland park Marriott is a very nice, well maintained hotel. The service was good and my overall experience was satisfying. I would return to this hotel when visiting the Kansas City area.The concierge levels have very nice rooms complete with refrigerator and safe - I don't know about the rooms on the lower floors. While it is a little distance to the city, it is located right along I-435 which will get one anywhere around Kansas City that they want to go.

Room Tip: Rooms to the south are away from the Interstate and therefore quieter, but my room on the north side...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank John W
Thank you for your review and recognition of our hotel condition! Our engineering and housekeeping team do a great job. For your future reference, all of our rooms have either a cooler/safe or a refrigerator for guest use. We look forward to welcoming you again should your travels bring you back to O.P.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed here on a Friday night in summer 2013. Overall, I had a nice stay and would not hesitate recommending the hotel. I’m not sure about room rates during the rest of the week, but my room was a steal for a Friday night on an AAA rate—I got a full-service hotel for less than nearby properties with fewer amenities were charging.

The hotel’s parking lots were very busy and a tad confusing to navigate, but I was able to secure a spot; I appreciated that parking was complimentary. There was a bit of a line at registration, but the desk was fully staffed and the person who checked me in was apologetic for the wait and welcomed me to the hotel warmly. I was provided a room right in-line with the preferences I have on-file with Marriott Rewards.

My room was a standard Marriott room, but very nice. The bed was extremely comfortable, the décor was pleasant, and furniture was in good condition. The room was relatively spacious, although the bathroom was on the smaller side. Being on the top floor afforded nice views of the surrounding area. Despite a lot of activity at the hotel (busy lobby, what appeared to be a meeting with lots of kids, etc.), my room was quiet throughout my stay. Internet worked as expected.

The lobby of the hotel was less inviting than some Marriott hotels I have experienced—it’s very long and narrow. It did appear to be recently renovated and had working, social, and dining spaces.

Location of the hotel was good. It’s right off of Metcalf Ave., with a lot of dining options nearby. Access to I-435 interstate is nearby.

I would not hesitate to return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank brmusicman
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank you for recognizing the service your recieved during a busy time and the overall condition and comfort of our hotel. We look forward to hosting you again! All the best,