“Good Hotel for Business”

Marriott Kansas City Overland Park
Ranked #8 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Sarasota, Florida
“Good Hotel for Business”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My company used the Marriott in Overland Park for our Bi-Annual event. The event it's self was great and they catered to most of our needs. The only thing lacking was the size of the dance floor. We're a Ballroom Dance Studio and unfortunately because of the other events they had reserved for the date they weren't able to give us the size of floor we really needed. It was more of an inconveinience than anything and we were able to work around it. The local was nice and up to date as far as decor goes and every staff member was more than willing to help in any way possible.
I also reserved a room to stay in during the event and it was very well appointed and comfortable. The only complaints I'd have about the room would be the Bathroom. We had a suite and the bath in the living area was very dimly lit...I can't imagine trying to put on makeup or shaving in there. Then the bath in the bedroom, though more brightly lit, had a sliding pocket entry door that was very hard to open and close.
The only other complaint was that with my Marriott membership I was supposed to be able to get a free continental breakfast in the Concierge Lounge but it's only offered Monday through Friday at this hotel and our event was Saturday through Sunday.
All in all we had a good event and stay at this hotel and wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if needed.

Room Tip: The higher rooms are the quietest.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank janabm81
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, March 16, 2013
We enjoyed hosting your group again and appreciate your loyalty! Thank you for the feedback regarding the dance floor, room layout and lighting. Our team will look into the lighting to see if it can be improved in the room you were assigned. We look forward to seeing you again later this year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Reviewed March 14, 2013

From the moment I walked in (was on biz), the ladies at front desk were fantastic. From usual check in to helping me get tix to Kansas Jayhawks game 30 mins before game, they were superb.
Rooms typical Marriott bedding and layout but good.
Sushi bar is over-avg and better than expected for Kansas.

1 Thank Mainecowboy
Go Jayhawks! Thank you for recognizing our front desk team.
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed March 14, 2013

My family and I stayed here on Mother's Day weekend 2012 and enjoyed it.
The sushi restaurant on property is superb and other restaurants are within walking distance from the hotel property.
The only drawback was this hotel is a central location for families travelling in sports tournaments and the pool was packed with kids and some adults who felt the need to overtake the pool area for a pizza party.
About a 15 minute drive to the Legends shopping area and 20 minutes to downtown KC.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank andybrewer
Thank you for staying with us! We look forward to hosting you again soon.
Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I don't know of a better place to hold a event! They are some of the hardest working event people I know! This was our 3rd event there and, as usual, it came off witout a hitch!!!! And of course the rooms were wonderfully clean and nice. I don't think they know the word "No".

1 Thank Ed H
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Ed, thank you for being a repeat customer and for recognizing our service team!
penelope1976
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I frequently stay at Marriotts across the country. I typically enjoy my stay in Marriott. I gave this particular hotel three out of 5 simply because it feels a little dated compared to other Marriott hotels I have stayed in. The walls are paper thin. I could clearly hear every word of my neighbor's phone conversation, and I'm sure he could hear mine.

The internet was PAINFULLY slow in the evening. I suppose everyone in the hotel was using it at the same time. I looked for the ethernet cable, but there wasn't one in my room. Not a huge deal..

But... I had a wonderful night's sleep. The beds were comfy, and the room was very clean.

One more tip for the Marriott staff. Please tell your cab drivers who stand on the sidewalk not to confront guests about their cab choice. One of the cabbys insisted we tell him how much the cab fare was and was very persistent. It was very rude.

1 Thank penelope1976
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you for being our guest and for your on-line post. The tip regarding the cab driver is very much appreciated and we have already contacted the local taxi and limo companies to set the expectation going forward. I'm sorry you had that experience. It was disappointing to hear the internet did not perform well for you. Within the last 9 months we upgraded our system to provide bandwidth up to 50Mbps. If your travels bring you back to Overland Park, I sincerely hope you will be our guest again.
Heswall, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Have staying in a number of the 'big chain' hotels in and around Kansas - including this one and the Doubletree just a few blocks away. There isn't much to pick between them but I think the Doubletree just has the edge in terms of atmosphere and facilities.

Rooms in the Marriott are nice, very comfortable beds, good choice of pillows but the decor and bathrooms are quite dated. The breakfast room is tiny and very small for a hotel of this size - it also has a very flat atmosphere - and this is where the Doubletree gets it right. I found the choice of breakfast food very limited in the Marriott but better up the road.

Not eaten in the restaurant because I think there are far better options outside of the hotel - such as the exceptionally good J. Alexanders (steak house) about a 15-minute walk / 3-minute drive from the hotel

Would I stay here again - yes, but only if Doubletree was full. It's a business hotel with huge conference facilities but very little atmosphere and a bit too sterile for me.

Room Tip: Get rooms away from elevators as they are busy and noisy.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Andrew W
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Thank you for your post. We take all feedback seriously, and sincerely regret that we did not meet your expectations. A few year's ago, our hotel underwent a $20M renovation and I apologize the hotel's updated, contemporary feel did not appeal to you. We sincerly hope you will return to our hotel.
Somerset, New Jersey
Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was designated by my company and I could not be happier. The staff is friendly and always say hello. I asked for a room not overlooking the highway and they were willing to provide it. The room was quiet, the tv was nice, the bed and pillows were wonderful like sleeping on a cloud. The bathroom is small but I have a small bathroom at home so it was ok for me. The gym was a little small, you had to get there early to get a machine . The Japanese restaurant was good. The bar is lively at night.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Cheryl D
Toni C, General Manager at Marriott Kansas City Overland Park, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Thank you Anne for being our guest and for the nice compliment about our service team! We look forward to hosting you again during your next trip to Overland Park.