“Comfortable bed, okay room, good food, will do the job”

DoubleTree by Hilton Kansas City - Overland Park
Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Los Angeles, California
“Comfortable bed, okay room, good food, will do the job”
Reviewed September 23, 2007

Stayed at the Doubletree Overland Park for one night on business in Lenexa, KS. The hotel was okay, nothing special, but the food was good, the staff was friendly, and the bed was very comfortable. So, it did the trick. Bathroom was a little run down, though. I ate at the hotel restaurant for both dinner & breakfast (good steak, excellent breakfast).

I will probably wind up staying there again due to the location of the hotel, and I'm fine with that.

• Liked — The food and the bed
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Plano, Texas
Reviewed September 3, 2007

Stayed at the DoubleTree Overland Park KS Corporate Woods over Labor Day 2007. Our stay was nice but believe the bath tub tile could be cleaned every once in a while with mold remover. We were assigned a corner room 1215 which meant there is a 90 degree turn in the inside hall between the door and the bed area. My wife liked that so that no one could see directly into the room from the hall. There are Sweet Dreams beds. The hotel was full with soccer players and several weddings.

There was excessive mold in the tile grout in the shower and the exhaust vent grill was caked with who knows what. We received buffet breakfast for both of use each day. Also two bottles of water in the room. The buffet was nice except for the frozen strawberries from a bag on Labor Day. Omelettes cooked to order. At breakfast on Sunday morning the restaurant manager asked if we were enjoying the restaurant and the room. I told him about the mold in the bath and he was very apologetic and showed a sincere appreciation that we had brought up the mold issue when asked. Pretty soon after that the server brought us a tin of DoubleTree cookies. A fast and appreciated acknowlegement that mold in the bath is unacceptable.

The fitness room is roomy and there is a racquetball court. The pool is inside with a hot tub. All are located in a separate building from the hotel via an inside walkway. There is an outside deck surrounded by woods and walking trails through the woods.

I would stay here again although there are much newer hotels nearby including HGI, Sheraton at the Overland Park Convention Center, Marriott, Courtyard by Marriott. The area is close to the Sprint campus. Inspect the bathroom tile and exhast vent grill upon entering the room and if unacceptable ask to be relocated before unpacking.

Stayed September 2007
Baltimore
Reviewed August 3, 2007

I'm not sure where to start. I called two days prior to our visit to change our reservations from the 2 double bed rooms that I had originally reserved (for my husband, myself and 2 kids) to the queen suite. I was assured that the suite had a separate bedroom with a door. When we arrived, we found that there was no separate room for the bedroom in the suite and that the double rooms were now all booked. That presented a problem since now one of the adult's snoring kept the children awake every night. In addition to just the basic sleeping arrangements, the room itself was shabby and smelled terrible. The furniture was covered in various unidentifable stains and I was relunctant to sit on anything. When we initially arrived, we called housekeeping for bedding for the pull out sofa and rollaway bed. The housekeeper would not have even changed the bedding on the pull out if we had not pointed out crumbs on the sheets apparently left over from a prior tenant.The bathroom was very dark. There were never enough towels or toilet paper (we had to call down 2 out out of the 3 nights to get 4 towels rather than 2 and had to resort to facial tissue for the latter). To top this off, there were mosquitos throughout the hotel, including the restaurant and lounge. We were on the 12th floor and mosquitos still reached that level. All of us left our visit with multiple bug bites. The elevators smelled horrible as did the floor we stayed on. We were there for my father in law's funeral and the hotel was not a pleasant experience. We had originally planned to book at the Holiday Inn. We should have.

On a good note, the front desk and lounge staff were great... friendly and very professional. The cookies were a fabulous treat. It's too bad that the hotel accomodations and housekeeping does not measure up to the standards of the hospitality staff.

• Liked — Front Desk Staff
  • Disliked — Shabby and Smelly
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank TravellerBaltimore
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed May 7, 2007

This was my second stay at the Doubletree in Overland Park and both times I've found the rooms to be clean and quiet. The bed was comfortable and my husband loved having a choice of pillows.

Check-in was efficient, even on a busy Saturday evening and a warm chocolate chip cookie is good any time of day! The breakfast buffet is rather pricey; I'd opt for ordering from the menu (or a nearby restaurant).

We'll definitely stay here again.

Stayed April 2007
Monett, MO
Reviewed March 19, 2007

We spent this past weekend at the Doubletree. We were very pleased with our stay. The front desk staff was very friendly, check-in took all of 2 minutes, check-out even less! Every time you walked by, they greeted you with a smile and a hello. The warm chocolate chip cookies at check-in are AWESOME!! We actually stopped by the front desk after dinner the 2nd night, and got another one!

The rooms were clean and nicely furnished.(there were 5 of us, 1 king room, and 1 room with 2 double beds) The beds were comfortable, not the best I have slept on, but definately not the worst. The beds had several fluffy pillows, nice linens, and a down comforter. The bathroom was average size, with the rounded shower rod, and plenty of big fluffy towels. The tile in the bathroom was not the best pattern, it made the floor look dirty, but it seemed to be clean. You could tell the hotel is older, because of the 2 piece bath tub with the caulk all around it, but there was no mold. The water pressure was not the greatest, most of the time the water was coming out the faucet instead of the shower head. The 2nd day while I was showering, the water stopped all together for about 10 seconds, and then started again. I have never had that happen before. Our room was on the 17th floor, my sister's room was on the 4th floor, and they did not have any water pressure issues. There were a lot of teenagers staying at the hotel, but I did not hear any noise at all in the rooms, not even doors slamming. Our room was only about 10 steps from the elevator, but I could not hear that either.

The fitness center is well equipped, and the pool area is very nice. The water was really warm, and they also had plenty of huge fluffy towels in there. I did not use the jacuzzi, but we did sit in the sauna.

We ate the buffett breakfast in the restaurant, we were not impressed with it at all. The food was not very good, and it was all luke warm. It cost $15.00 per person, so next time I would definitely eat breakfast somewhere else, or order off the menu. They have a champagne brunch on Sunday, but we did not try that. The restaurant itself is very nice, and the waitress was really friendly, and kept our drinks refilled without having to ask. They also have a good-sized bar, but we did not go in.

There are also suppose to be some walking and jogging trails around the hotel, but it was pretty cold and windy when we stayed, so we didn't get to take advantage of those. The hotel is kind off the beaten path, in a wooded quiet area. I'm sure it is a beautiful area in the spring, summer and fall. There is a bowling alley across the street, and some good restuarants within a couple of miles.

We found all the staff we encountered to be exceptionally friendly, and welcoming. I would stay again, and would recommend it to anyone. I thought it was a great value at $89.00.

• Liked — Friendly staff, pool area
  • Disliked — breakfast buffet
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Trvltwo
OK
Reviewed January 2, 2007

Very easy access to this property. Unfortunately, I only had one night booked at this property, because I had a great stay.
Front desk staff was cordial and very polite. Very good information available on local events at the Front Desk as I was checking in.
Guestroom/Suite accommodation was spacious, comfortable and everything was in perfect working order. Very quiet night's sleep with none of the interruptions that can sometimes disturb you in most hotels. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a value-for-money property in Overland Park.

• Liked — Great value for money accommodations.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Tall_T_Town
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 10, 2006

Staff was very friendly, and wireless internet access was very helpful since this was a business trip. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Would recommend this for business travel.

Stayed November 2006