“Comfortable stay at Doubletree”

DoubleTree by Hilton Kansas City - Overland Park
Ranked #11 of 37 Hotels in Overland Park
Reviewed May 7, 2007

This was my second stay at the Doubletree in Overland Park and both times I've found the rooms to be clean and quiet. The bed was comfortable and my husband loved having a choice of pillows.

Check-in was efficient, even on a busy Saturday evening and a warm chocolate chip cookie is good any time of day! The breakfast buffet is rather pricey; I'd opt for ordering from the menu (or a nearby restaurant).

We'll definitely stay here again.

Stayed: April 2007
There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Kansas City - Overland Park

Reviewed March 19, 2007

We spent this past weekend at the Doubletree. We were very pleased with our stay. The front desk staff was very friendly, check-in took all of 2 minutes, check-out even less! Every time you walked by, they greeted you with a smile and a hello. The warm chocolate chip cookies at check-in are AWESOME!! We actually stopped by the front desk after dinner the 2nd night, and got another one!

The rooms were clean and nicely furnished.(there were 5 of us, 1 king room, and 1 room with 2 double beds) The beds were comfortable, not the best I have slept on, but definately not the worst. The beds had several fluffy pillows, nice linens, and a down comforter. The bathroom was average size, with the rounded shower rod, and plenty of big fluffy towels. The tile in the bathroom was not the best pattern, it made the floor look dirty, but it seemed to be clean. You could tell the hotel is older, because of the 2 piece bath tub with the caulk all around it, but there was no mold. The water pressure was not the greatest, most of the time the water was coming out the faucet instead of the shower head. The 2nd day while I was showering, the water stopped all together for about 10 seconds, and then started again. I have never had that happen before. Our room was on the 17th floor, my sister's room was on the 4th floor, and they did not have any water pressure issues. There were a lot of teenagers staying at the hotel, but I did not hear any noise at all in the rooms, not even doors slamming. Our room was only about 10 steps from the elevator, but I could not hear that either.

The fitness center is well equipped, and the pool area is very nice. The water was really warm, and they also had plenty of huge fluffy towels in there. I did not use the jacuzzi, but we did sit in the sauna.

We ate the buffett breakfast in the restaurant, we were not impressed with it at all. The food was not very good, and it was all luke warm. It cost $15.00 per person, so next time I would definitely eat breakfast somewhere else, or order off the menu. They have a champagne brunch on Sunday, but we did not try that. The restaurant itself is very nice, and the waitress was really friendly, and kept our drinks refilled without having to ask. They also have a good-sized bar, but we did not go in.

There are also suppose to be some walking and jogging trails around the hotel, but it was pretty cold and windy when we stayed, so we didn't get to take advantage of those. The hotel is kind off the beaten path, in a wooded quiet area. I'm sure it is a beautiful area in the spring, summer and fall. There is a bowling alley across the street, and some good restuarants within a couple of miles.

We found all the staff we encountered to be exceptionally friendly, and welcoming. I would stay again, and would recommend it to anyone. I thought it was a great value at $89.00.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank Trvltwo
Reviewed January 2, 2007

Very easy access to this property. Unfortunately, I only had one night booked at this property, because I had a great stay.
Front desk staff was cordial and very polite. Very good information available on local events at the Front Desk as I was checking in.
Guestroom/Suite accommodation was spacious, comfortable and everything was in perfect working order. Very quiet night's sleep with none of the interruptions that can sometimes disturb you in most hotels. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for a value-for-money property in Overland Park.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Tall_T_Town
Reviewed December 10, 2006

Staff was very friendly, and wireless internet access was very helpful since this was a business trip. The staff was very helpful and friendly. Would recommend this for business travel.

Stayed: November 2006
Reviewed September 21, 2006

I stayed at the Doubletree on my way to Fort Scott Kansas. I primarily chose it because of its convenient access to Highway 69. It was a nice place, though I NEVER would have paid full price for the room I was in.

I had requested a king room, but only doubles were available when I checked in. The bed was very comfortable, though. Also the room had a cool alarm clock that was very easy to set -- no guesswork! -- and had an input jack for an iPod or other MP3 player which was a nice touch.

The hotel seemed to be recently remodeled, though apparently no expansion was done in the bathroom. The tub/shower was pretty small. The room itself also seemed small, though my room was on an interior hall corner so it had some wierd angled walls, which might have contributed to the small feeling.

The pool looked nice, though I didn't use it. The fitness center was a bit disappointing; the cardio equipment seemed kind of out-dated and didn't work very well. There was also a raquetball court, which I didn't use. The pool/fitness area was a bit of a walk from the lobby through a glassed-in hallway, very strange, and a little creepy -- just a little -- at night.

I didn't have a chance to try any of the restaurants, as I drove to the Oak Park Mall about 2-3 miles north west for dinner. Nothing much around the hotel though for restaurants, so you'll either want to eat at the hotel, or drive somewhere. As others have mentioned, it's in the Corporate Woods office park, so not much around.

Overall, the Doubletree was average. I might stay there again if I was in the area, but I would definitely check out other places too. Rooms were clean and pretty well maintained, but nothing spectacular.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed June 7, 2006

Our family had two 18th-floor rooms (apparently the recently renovated ones), part of a block of rooms (at a reasonable rate) obtained for a friend's wedding in a neighboring suburb; we considered the group rate a good value. Facilities were nice and geared to business travelers working in the locale's many office complexes. Lots of chain restaurants and big-box stores within driving distance, and ped/bike trails and bowling alley nearby. There is also a strip mall across the street with a restaurant or two.

During the holiday weekend we stayed, there were many families/groups associated with youth softball and soccer tournaments. The noise and energy associated with pre-teens and young teens annoyed some guests... we did hear some night noise on our floor but it wasn't persistent or terrible. But staff welcomed families and the other groups (including a wedding in the banquet area). Pool area, with outside deck attached, was kept clean and maintained with fresh towels. The clorine/chemical level, though, seemed slightly strong for my skin/eyes.

The bartender was friendly and very helpful, going beyond to provide good service as she gave us complimentary coffee and dessert when she heard of our bad restaurant experience earlier that night. This great staff service extended to cleaning/desk/phone help, who also took extra steps to save and ship our child's stuffed toy (we paid for shipping).

The exercise room was well-appointed (multiple machines and free weights) and well-ventilated, clean, and roomy.

We did not eat at the restaurant. Caveat for those drinking at the bar: many wine/cocktail/cordial glasses were hung right above the bar, so smoke could collect on them. Consider asking for a freshly washed glass or getting a drink not served in glasses suspended above the bar.

I'll mention one minor downgrade for a floor electrical plug (into which the corner floor lamp was plugged) that left appx. 5 feet of loose cord on the carpet. We unplugged that lamp to prevent a tripping hazard (we have a pre-schooler).

• Stayed: May 2006
Reviewed March 14, 2006

I booked a one-night stay for our 3-person family on hotwire. For $50, we spent a Friday evening in the Doubletree and found the hotel to be above average.

The Doubletree is a little off the beaten path & you have to travel about a mile for dining establishments.

However, the hotel lobby was well-appointed and inviting. Considering the location right off the interstate, the room was very quiet. There was a little peeling paint in the bathroom, but the room was clean and beds were comfortable. The hotel staff was very kind. For the price, we couldn't go wrong.

• Stayed: March 2006