“Not a Typical Holiday Inn Express”

Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Olathe North
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Olathe
Reviewed January 2, 2014

We upgraded to a Jacuzzi suite upon arrival. The desk attendant switched our room and handed us waters in the blink of an eye. Although the room was modern, clean and spacious, it wasn't what we expected. There was a cabinet for a microwave and mini-fridge, but no fridge. The regular sized toilet had an elongated toilet seat. A lady bug flew from the bed when we moved a pillow. Some of the standard bath toiletries were missing in the bathroom, however, the housekeeping closet was open on the third floor so guests could just walk in and get whatever they needed. There was no heat vent in the bathroom, so it was cold. The room was quiet with a comfortable bed. The desk chair, although unusual, was awesome. Breakfast offered the typical fare, except no bacon, and the bananas were over ripe and mushy. The attendant offered us apples and oranges instead. The lobby housed a festive Christmas tree, fireplace and modern furniture/decor and was always brimming with guests. The property is right off I-35, with plenty of parking, and many restaurants and shops nearby. Not sure we would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed November 25, 2013

This hotel was clean, breakfast was sufficient. Upon check-in, I mentioned that we were meeting another family for the weekend. They offered to put us in adjoining rooms, above the pool. My kids enjoyed watching the pool activity.
The surrounding area was nice, could quickly get to Target or many shopping and dining options. All 7 of us in the 2 families enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 25, 2013

I frequently stay at this hotel for business. Overall it is clean, the pool and hot tub are nice, and every room I have stayed in appears to have been recently remodeled. What stands out though, are the staff. Everyone on the staff is helpful, but Cynthia and Dan in particular have made my stays comfortable and always make me feel welcome. I have gone to each of them at different times with specific requests and they consistently go above and beyond to help me solve whatever my need is (including finding a cupcake bakery in the area, locating jewelry that I left behind, and finding food in the middle of the night). I have been tempted to stay at other IHG properties in the area to capitalize on rewards club incentives, but because of the excellent service of these two employees, I have scheduled three more stays at this location before the end of the year.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Spend three nights here while visiting our daughter and her family who live near Lawrence. My husband travels extensively and had quite a few Priority Club points in his account. We were searching closer to Lawrence for hotels in this family. They were either not available for all three nights, or were charging the standard 20,000 to 25,000 points PER NIGHT per room. For some reason this hotel was only charging 5,000 points per night. I was a little skeptical but we took a chance and booked here because we planned on doing several activities with the grandkids in this area anyway. We were happy we did!

The hotel is newer and very clean. The room was comfortable and the pool and hot tub area were nicer than what we've seen at other HI Express hotels. The breakfast buffet was the standard fare served by the chain, but was always fresh and continually being restocked.

The location was good, at the intersection if I-35 and 119th, just across the interstate from Bass Pro Shops and about a thirty minute drive from the airport.

We checked in very late on Friday evening and when we went to our room discovered it didn't have a refrigerator, just a microwave. I called the front desk and she told me they had one other room available, a jucuzzi suite, but she didn't know if it had a refrigerator either. She told me she would go check and would knock on our door to let us know if we could move. A few minutes later she came by to tell us that the room was right next door and did indeed have a frig, and she brought us the new keys. She did share that they are buying refrigerators for all the rooms, but at the rate of only four per month so it is taking a while. Honestly, I would rather have a frig than a microwave, and the ones they are buying are the small ones that fit under the TV so aren't very expensive. Seems like a basic room fixture to me. In any case, if a frig is important to your stay you should check this out more before booking.

I do think it's important to know that from the nice front desk clerk who took care of us when we checked in and found us another room, to the housekeeping staff in the halls, to the breakfast staff who diligently tried to take care of a constant flow of diners (many of them very hungry teenagers who were in town for a soccer tournament), everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. It was obvious that management cares deeply about taking care of their guests and that focus carries over to all of the staff. It was a refreshing change of pace to get that personal touch from a chain hotel.

Room Tip: The west side faces the interstate. The east side faces a parking lot and strip mall and across the...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival I was greeted by friendly staff, the lobby was very well kept with new furniture. My room was very clean and spacious. Front desk attendant was very helpful in suggesting a place for dinner. All in all a pleasant stay, would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We had a business meeting here and rooms for two nights. The meeting rooms were clean as were the guest rooms. Staff is accommodating. Our check in began a little rough, but was straightened out. Every request we made was cheerfully completed. Food and service was very good. We'll come back.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have stayed in hundreds of hotels and motels across this great country of ours. This hotel definitely had the most comfortable beds that I have ever slept on in a hotel. Even the first night there, I slept soundly, whereas usually the first night in a strange hotel room on a strange bed, I have a great bit of trouble even sleeping. Will definitely stay there again when I go to visit my brother!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family