“Great but loud”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Kansas City Olathe
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Olathe
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

The location, staff and room were just great (except for the miserable mattress on the sofa bed - beyond awful) but the noise from the room next door and the room above was out of control - the walls must be cardboard. We could hear every word of every argument, every shriek from unruly kids, every foot-stomp from above and opening / slamming door - at ALL hours. I had no intensions of waking up at 5:30 but the room next to us was more effective than an alarm clock.
The view of the pond full of ducks was lovely and we spent the mornings on the peaceful back patio. Excellent breakfast - eggs, sausage, waffles...etc and the location was near the best BBQ in KC and wonderful shopping!
I would definitely stay again but I'd request a top floor to eliminate part of the noise.

Stayed: June 2014
BlaneFrancis, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Kansas City Olathe, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry you experienced such a noisy stay. I hope that if you shared that with our staff on duty we were diligent in addressing this concern. I appreciate you sharing your kind words about the breakfast and love that you enjoyed the pond behind us. Please be sure to note the request for a top floor room for your next stay and we will do our very best to accommodate.

Reviewed June 20, 2014

We enjoyed our location with all the restaurants and shopping, but the hotel was average in every aspect. The staff was friendly and helpful. Would stay there again for the location, but the hotel was just average for us.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
BlaneFrancis, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Kansas City Olathe, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2014

We appreciate you taking the time to complete a survey regarding your stay with us. We certainly strive to be at the top of our industry with the hotel and service we provide. This feedback is valuable for us to share with our entire staff to drive the customer service above and beyond. We hope to have the opportunity to provide a more memorable experience to you in the future. Please let us know if there is anything in particular that we can do to help.

Reviewed June 13, 2014

I have always found Marriott hotels to have high standards, and this Fairfield is no exception. Check in was fast and easy. The room was quiet, clean and comfortable. The hotel isn't new, but is well kept up. The room was comfortable and quiet, even facing the interstate. I have stayed in a number of Fairfields, and this is extremely clean. It can be a little confusing to get to, but with a GPS that isn't a problem. If I'm traveling through Kansas City again, I will definitely be staying here!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo

Thank you kindly for your review. We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience and we are very pleased that you enjoyed the experience. We look forward to seeing you again!

Travel Safely,

Reviewed May 17, 2014

Stayed here during the KC Speedway weekend. The room was clean, bathroom spotless, and the employees great. The only gripe I had is the same one I have had with others the curtains do not fully block out the lights from the parking lot. I need a dark room to sleep.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay at our property over the NASCAR race weekend! Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience. Next time you stay with us, please let us know of your preference to not be near any parking lot lights to ensure a restful night and we should be able to accommodate. I have also made note that when we update our curtains, that we try to get the best quality in blocking outside light.

Reviewed May 15, 2014

We stayed in the Fairfiled Inn in Olathe, Kansas because rooms were scarce last weekend in the Overland Park area apparently due to several large events. The room was very small, poorly decorated, (downright ugly actually) and the NOISE level from the room next to us was unbearable. The bathroom towels were very thin, scratchy and tiny.... Really Marriott? I know this hotel is at the bottom of the barrel of your offerings, but can't you do better? I will not be staying at this hotel or any Fairfield Inn hotel again.

Room Tip: Get a room in the back of the hotel, away from the freeway
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelHistory
Kevin B, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Kansas City Olathe, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Thank you for your review. We deeply regret the experience you had in our hotel and offer our sincere apology. After receiving your review, we gave our laundry supervisor some feedback and have required her to take additional training in identifying and eliminating thin worn linen.

Please contact myself or another member of our management team directly so that we can work with you to determine an appropriate resolution to this issue. You can reach me at (913-768-7000.

Please know that we have taken action to ensure this problem does not occur again at our hotel and thank you for the bringing the matter to our attention.

Kevin Bundy

Reviewed April 29, 2014

I stayed here one night. The person at reception was cordial and effecient. I used Marriott points and I still got a great room with king size bed. Bathroom was spotless. Shower head was the large, water saver type with one rotating control for temperature, so you can't control the flow - take it or leave it. The bed had at least 8 inches of "Tempurpedic" foam on top which I find comfortable but others may find too soft. There were 4 pillows. The AC is a separate unit at the window, not central. Large flat panel TV was great with the usual hotel channels and movies. I noticed that the power outlets on the desk are embedded in the lamp and were very loose such that my iPhone charger cord actually didn't charge overnight. I quickly used the outlet on the wall for a quick charge before leaving. There are no free newspapers that I could find in the lobby and none at my door for being a Marriott Rewards member. They have a waffle maker with batter, not toaster waffles. Hot scrambled eggs. Fresh pastries and fresh fruit. The coffee is from carafes, not a machine. WiFi worked fine in the room. Parking spaces were a little tight in width. The closest bar is Buffalo Wild Wings about quarter mile north. There's a Steak and Shake within walking distance behind the hotel and a McDonalds further up north..

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
BlaneFrancis, Front Office Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Kansas City Olathe, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Thank you for completing a review of our property. We have addressed the issues you noted and have shared your positive remarks with our staff. As we continue to update the amenities in our room and throughout the property, we look forward to improving your experience with us. We hope to see you back next time you are through the Olathe, KS area.

Travel Safely,

Reviewed April 16, 2014

I was stuck in Olathe, during a snow storm and stayed at this hotel rather than drive home. Even in the less desirable conditions the staff was wonderful and very helpful. Jane got me a room quickly and made sure I had everything I needed. I stay at Marriott properties whenever I travel and this was one of the better experiences and one of the reasons I love Marriott. The breakfast in the morning was delicious also and complementary. Being from Kansas, I think Olathe has plenty to offer, but in this situation all I needed was some place safe and warm to sleep. I recommend this hotel for anyone traveling to the area.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank HRS1116

We appreciate you sharing your experience with us. In particular, we are proud that our staff was helpful through the bad weather. That's always a difficult thing to go through when traveling, and we strive to make your stay positive. We hope to see you back!