“Fun Fast and Great food”

Smokin' Joe's Bar-B-Que
Ranked #25 of 233 Restaurants in Olathe
Cuisines: Barbecue
Atlanta, Georgia
“Fun Fast and Great food”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Living in GA in the land of barbeque my nephew and his wife have been bragging about Smokin Joes for a long time. I was in the Kansas City area on business and they "dragged" me to this restaurant, Driving up I was not overly impressed that this business is in a gas station but when I saw the lines of waiting patrons standing outside in the freezing weather, I knew that this must be something special.
The place is a hoot; lines take between 30 and 45 minutes to get through but it is a party atmosphere with everyone talking and having a good time so the wait is a non issue. This is a barbecue joint so you go up to the counter and order from the boards; get a copy of the menu when you get in the door so you are ready to order at the counter they do not take kindly to folks who cant make up their minds!
They were out of burnt ends so I ordered the rib and brisket plate with a side of onion rings. All I can say is yummm... ribs were lean and tender and the brisket was some of the best I have ever had (and I have tried a bunch through out Texas). Seating is really scarce so they have a very nice lady that encourages patrons to eat up and get out. There is also an unwritten rule about saving seats (NO).
This place should be on the national register. Great food, eclectic atmosphere and just plain fun. Not for anyone on a diet.

• Visited March 2014

Manitowoc, Wisconsin
“Loved the food but not the housekeeping”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I was surprised at some of the negative comments about the food because mine was excellent and I've eaten BBQ all over the country. The Brisket was tender, smoked to perfection and very flavorful. The pulled pork was juicy and also smoked perfectly. The sauces were not too heavy and didn't drown out the flavors of the meat. The onion rings were delicious and not too greasy. The service was good on a very busy Wednesday night. The only negative was, the tables and floors were a bit greasy. The place also has no ambiance so I would suggest carry-out instead of dining in. I would go back in a heartbeat.

• Visited January 2014
“Best BBQ take out”
Reviewed November 22, 2013 via mobile

We catered a party with Smokin' Joe and were not disappointed. The pork was awesome. The turkey was ok but not as good as the pork. The cole slaw was excellent. The potato salad would have been better with half the mayo.

Visited October 2013
Siren, Wisconsin
“Disappointed in BBQ”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stopped in for a take out order of ribs. Ordered a rack of ribs and sides to take back to the hotel...some of the worst ribs I've eated!!!

Visited June 2013
Lexington, Kentucky
“Awful food!”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I come to Kansas once a year for a workshop and like to eat BBQ while I'm here at least once. I grew up on Texas BBQ and my husband cater's Texas BBQ. I've eaten BBQ all over the country and I like my brisket smoked throughout, tender, and flavorful. I know that sauces are different everywhere you go...so I keep an open mind. Having said all that, my experience this year at Smokin' Joe's was AWFUL! I ordered a sliced brisket sandwich. It was room temperature, dry, NOT tender, NO flavor, and tasted like it had been sitting in fridge for three days...had an "old" taste. I did not care for the sauce, either. I could taste cinnamon?? I'm not usually that picky, but I couldn't even eat it. I should have asked for my money back, but we just left. Sorry, but I think you all can do a lot better than that!!

• Visited June 2013

Been to Smokin' Joe's Bar-B-Que? Share your experiences!