“Disappointed in BBQ”

Cuisines: Barbecue
Siren, Wisconsin
“Disappointed in BBQ”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Stopped in for a take out order of ribs. Ordered a rack of ribs and sides to take back to the hotel...some of the worst ribs I've eated!!!

Visited June 2013

Lexington, Kentucky
“Awful food!”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I come to Kansas once a year for a workshop and like to eat BBQ while I'm here at least once. I grew up on Texas BBQ and my husband cater's Texas BBQ. I've eaten BBQ all over the country and I like my brisket smoked throughout, tender, and flavorful. I know that sauces are different everywhere you go...so I keep an open mind. Having said all that, my experience this year at Smokin' Joe's was AWFUL! I ordered a sliced brisket sandwich. It was room temperature, dry, NOT tender, NO flavor, and tasted like it had been sitting in fridge for three days...had an "old" taste. I did not care for the sauce, either. I could taste cinnamon?? I'm not usually that picky, but I couldn't even eat it. I should have asked for my money back, but we just left. Sorry, but I think you all can do a lot better than that!!

• Visited June 2013
Olathe, Kansas
“Excellent sausage”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

An Olathe institution. Service is quick and food is great. I ordered the sausage and really enjoyed it. Not a very big place but glad I stopped there.

Overland Park, Kansas
“Stay far, far away”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Had not been here in years. And I will never go back........
It was just plain bad. Pulled into their parking lot around 4pm on a Sat after thanksgiving, no other cars were there. Bad sign. The brisket was so tough and flavorless. Tasted like it was originally prepared weeks ago. The white bread was so stale, it broke apart after my first attempt at a bite of my sandwich. The ham was not much better, at least it was edible. Hubby had ribs and brisket dinner. Ribs were the best part of the meal. They were not too smokey, but had a decent taste. The dinner came with slaw, beans and fries. The slaw was old tasting too. Must not have prepared any new food and decided to clean out their walkin today... really bad food, all the way around, what a shame!

• Visited November 2012
Olathe, Kansas
“Nothing fancy....just the way BBQ was meant to be!”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We are a BBQ-loving family and Smokin' Joe's is one of our favorites. It is an old, outdated little restaurants (just how I like my BBQ joints) and the food is good. Enough said.

• Visited May 2012