“Very nice addition to Olathe”

Hilton Garden Inn Olathe
Ranked #3 of 14 Hotels in Olathe
GreenLeadersGold level
Olathe, Kansas
“Very nice addition to Olathe”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Really a very nice addition to the Olathe hotel scene. I had family stay here and had an opportunity to view most aspects of the hotel without actually sleeping there.

First, everything is still fresh and new and clean. The views from the top floor are quite nice, even if it's just of suburbia. The situation of the hotel means you'll end up with either a really good sunrise or sunset view, especially if you're on the 4th, 5th or 6th floors.

Rooms have everything you need - large TV, plenty of channels, comfortable beds, nice desk and comfortable chair, and even a fridge. Bathrooms are of good size.

The common areas are equally as nice. The lobby has some great seating, including a slightly hidden 8 person table and TV that we used one night to have pizza. You can also grab a drink from the bar and enjoy it in the lobby area.

Pool area is nice but a bit chlorine-ey. The gym is small but has great machines.

Johnny's Italian Steakhouse, which I visited on a separate occasion, is quite delicious with great service. Drinks at the bar are expensive, but tasty. However, breakfast is also served here and its a tale of two breakfasts. One (Saturday) was quick, efficient, well stocked. On Sunday, however, something was really wrong and everything was slow and of poorer quality. Consistency appears to be weak.

The area has plenty of options for food and drink, but it is suburbia so don't expect much beyond chains, be them local chains or national chains.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Zacharius

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I was thrilled to find a suite large enough to host 12 people of all ages for a night before Christmas Eve party. The suite was perfect, the staff was friendly and helpful. Coming from out of town but wanting to host a family get together isn't easy. I didn't want a sterile banquet hall. The Hilton Garden Inn offered me the chance to be with my family in a warm family room setting. It couldn't have been any better!

Room Tip: The room I had was not the largest suite but it had a bedroom, huge bathroom and very large living r...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank glee604
Reviewed January 8, 2013

I am a Diamond member with Hilton and hit up a lot of their properties, including those in this area 4-5 times a year. This is my first time staying at this particular property and I have been very pleased. Several of the other hotels in the area are frequented by a lot of business travelers like myself and they are getting a little threadbare. This place is brand new and has many amenities that are above and beyond what I would expect from an HGI. The bar and restaurant in particular seem more in line with a higher "brand" property like a full Hilton or an ALOFT hotel. Very trendy but comfortable.

The only drawback was minor. The breakfast buffet (for purchase or comp with Gold status or better) is served in the steakhouse. Its a little dark and at around 6:45am or so a bit understaffed. There was no one to be found at the omelette station, and it was a little unclear for some patrons if it was self service and open seating or not. It also appeared it was unclear for some that the breakfast was not included for all rooms. Most HGIs have signage and it's bit clearer.

Overall I think this is far and away the best option out here and will be back.

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank tjkimzey
Reviewed January 4, 2013

They yelled at me and my friends for being out of our room. I wouldnt go there if suspect good service. The lobby is nice, and the halls and rooms are nice but the workers are just terrible. They don't let you speak. They just rudely tell you to leave. So if you want good people, I highly suggest not going to this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013
Olathe, KS
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Just a local getaway. The hotel is very new, nice and clean. The staff was very nice and there is plenty to do in the area.

The pool and hot tub area is very pretty BUT you feel like you are in the parking lot on display. The area is in the very front of the hotel with floor to ceiling glass walls. I could just imagine someone accidently driving their car into the pool. They should perhaps frost the lower portion of the glass for some privacy and maybe put in some large landscaping rocks for safety. The pool water was FREEZING and as for the hot tub, I take hotter baths at home. The hot tub was also very foamy. By the time we got back to our room, our skin was burning and even after showers, we could still smell the chlorine.

The room was nice. We stayed in a 2 Queen room. The beds were very comfy and the heater wasn't too loud. The bathroom, for some reason, seemed to have been created for a 6'5" man. As a 5'4" woman, I could hardly reach the shower head to adjust it. The water flow is very low. When using the toilet, the toilet paper was out of reach. I was actually afraid that my kids were going to fall trying to get to it themselves. When in the shower, the curtain appeared to have yellow stains, but then you realize that its actually the pattern of the curtain.

The ice/vending is nicely located away from all of the rooms. The room was nice and quiet. Plenty of close parking (right by the pool).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Faroutgemm
Reviewed October 11, 2012

One of my employees and I stated at the Hilton Garden Inn in Olathe last week for five nights..Several times during the stay we said "this place is awesome." We are total road warriors, we travel all over the country, and stay in hotels two weeks a months..we know what a good hotel is..and this place is simply great in every way. The hotel is brand new, the rooms are very large, and have higher end everything. There is a great restaurant and bar..get the steak! There is a great room service..this aint the average Hilton Garden Inn folks.
I met the GM, Chris..and his right hand person, Rebecca..and I can see why the place is so nice, these two are real workers..they are hospitality pros! This would be a great place for a big business meeting, or a good sized wedding as well..you never have to leave.
Take it from a road warrior, this place is a fine hotel, especially for the money..cant miss.

Room Tip: Every room is quiet..no worries about road noise. They even have doors on the vending areas so you w...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank T2much
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I love the Hilton Garden Inn brand and am rarely disappointed. This new property gave me a chance to see the latest that HGI has to offer.

Right off I-35 and 119th street, the hotel has easy access to all of Olathe and is within minutes of great shopping and restaurants in Overland Park and Leawood. I would strongly recommend it to business and solo travelers, and while there is nothing wrong with it per se, I'm not sure it is the best choice for families with younger children.

Pros: The staff was excellent. They greeted me by name (I stayed three nights) and were very professional. The hotel was spotless, as you would expect of a new property, and the bed --- oh the bed -- was without a doubt the most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept on. The location is great. The hotel restaurant food is fantastic.

Cons: I love the decor. It is really "cool". But sometimes the music just seems a little too loud and obnoxious....three days of Sinatra, Martin and other 60s tunes morning and night? Eh gets kinda old :). And I just am not sure about eating scrambled eggs and toast while looking at contemporary paintings of martini glasses, liquor bottles sparkling under dim blue lights. I kind of like breakfast rooms bathed in sunlight, that is my preference. Not sure if the design team recognized that what works fantastic at 8pm ....at 8am, not so much.

....Also, although my room was very spacious, no complaints about the sofa, chairs, desk, TVs, bathroom, bed, etc, it could use a bit more lighting in the sitting area. It was rather dim because there is no natural lighting and another lamp was needed. Overhead lighting to fix the issue is just gross. I definitely would not want to hang out there during the day, would retreat to the lobby area, which is wonderful, with its gas fireplace and bright decor. Again, this is a hotel geared to someone who is gone during the day doing things, who wants a happening place in the evening. At night -- again, this place is perfection.

I enjoyed Johnny's Italian Steakhouse in the lobby very much. Businessmen laughed at the bar while watching football, enjoying a drink. Couples lounged in the dining area, in leather chairs, under chandeliers. I loved it, and the menu was fabulous. This is a place locals would go for good food, as it was beyond ordinary fare served at Hilton Garden Inns. You have to try the signature skillet potatoes, oozing with cheese (oh my goodness) and the limoncello cake with raspberries (yummy). Everything I ordered was amazing, served quickly, and reasonably priced.

I didn't have a suit for the saltwater pool (sadly) but I did hit the gym a few times and it was fine - with StarTrac equipment and some free weights.

This will be my top choice in Olathe for sure.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo