“Better than average Latin American cuisine (only slightly)...”
Review of La Parrilla - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
La Parrilla
Cuisines: South American
“Better than average Latin American cuisine (only slightly)...”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I thought I would try La Parilla, as I am still in search of some GREAT latin American cuisine in KC, having lived near/in Mexico, Central America and Ecuador. I bought a Groupon and tried it for a lunch on Saturday.

Service was excellent, attentive and friendly. The cook even came out during the meal to ensure I was pleased with the food.

The variety is almost too much, I could hardly decide. Fortunately, the warm (and thin) tortilla chips were excellent. Ask for the "hot habanero" salsa as they don't bring that with the chips (a mild salsa). Both are free and the habanero is as tasty as it is hot, which was a nice surprise that it wasn't just fire in my mouth.

I opted for a molcajete, anticipating some really scrumptious arranchera (marinated, grilled steak), which I love. The food came out sizzling, and well portioned. The meat was a little on the under-marinated side. I do love the flavor of beef, but I was hoping for more of that latin spice. The beer in the marinade was a bit too much, as some bites that was the only flavor. The accompanying veggies were great and the tortillas thin and tasty. The guacamole is excellent; I was glad it came on the plate.

The rice was average, didn't really have that presence or flavor that sets the outstanding ones apart. The beans, unfortunately (and yes, I judge latin food by the quality of their beans), tasted as though they came from a can, but they were warm.

Overall, I was quite satisfied and intrigued enough by the menu that I would return with my spouse or others so that we could sample several other things.

• Visited July 2012