“Almost the Perfect Place to Hang Your Hat”

Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Olathe
Vail, Arizona
“Almost the Perfect Place to Hang Your Hat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

It's pretty rare for me to write hotel reviews while I'm still at the hotel. For one thing, I haven't yet finished the stay and may discover some other issues worth mentioning (good or not-so-good). Or maybe the front desk folks will figure out who I am and zap me with a taser (just kidding, of course...uh, I think).

But let's get down to business. I'm in Kansas City by myself for two weeks for some company training. My first week was at the Crowne Plaza, which if you follow my reviews you'll see that I mostly shredded (sorry, Crowne Plaza, but I still think it was balanced). For the second week, I moved to the Residence Inn in Olathe and the difference is like night and day. Let's put it this way: for moving just a few miles down the road I've got a one bedroom mini-apartment with not only a real refrigerator but an entire kitchenette! It's clean, comfortable, and the next best thing to being home. The front desk folks are absolutely awesome and the lot of them deserve raises -- they're holding a bag for a colleague who's not arriving until Monday, found some extra hangers when I needed them, and are just downright friendly.

I desperately want to give the Residence Inn five stars. But I've got to restrain myself and remember that I try to write balanced reviews. One other thing to keep in mind -- for those of you who've read my other reviews know -- I almost always focus on the "big stuff". Too many reviewers get emotional and either praise a hotel like it's heaven on earth or totally trash it for the silliest and most trivial reasons.

Fortunately, there's only one reason why I can't give this Residence Inn five stars. It's the Internet service, which business travelers like me depend on for a lot of our work. No, I don't expect blazing speeds like I have at home but the Internet connectivity at this property is seriously underpowered and easily gets bogged down. Last night it was almost useless, probably because it was so heavily over-used it was running out of steam.

To make my criticism constructive (and since I'm a Cyber Security consultant by profession), I'll offer up some free advice that may help them solve the problem:

1. Your provider is CenturyLink and whatever speed they're providing you is simply not enough to support all the units in this complex. Very early this morning, when most everyone was still in bed, I ran a speed test and the result was only about 5mb download. Granted, that was through the wireless, we'll get to that in a moment.

2. Your wireless access points don't support Wireless-N and should be upgraded to b/g/n access points. Wireless-N is much more efficient and almost all laptops and wireless devices can use it these days.

3. Secure your connection with at least WPA and change the password once a week. You've almost certainly got bandwidth leeches -- there are condos and townhomes in very close proximity to your building and I'd bet a paycheck that some of the folks back there are unwelcome visitors on your wireless network, sucking bandwidth away from paying guests.

My company is headquartered in Lenexa and I'd love to stay here every time I come to town. Congratulations on a fine property, a great staff, and for the "almost five stars" review!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank VailAZ
ResidenceInnOlathe, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. We truly appreciate all the information that we recieve back from our guests. We hope that you come back to visit us in the very near future!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
cu-later67
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Can't beat the rooms an breakfast. Staff is very friendly and helpful. This is our fourth stay at this inn and we will continue to stay here. A great value for your money. Breakfast selections are better than most. Close to shopping.

• Stayed April 2013
ResidenceInnOlathe, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe, responded to this review, May 1, 2013
Thank you for the positive comments about our hotel! We appreciate the feedback! We look forward to your return.
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

My family and I came to Kansas for a what was suppose to be a two day stay that turned out to be a four day stay because of the big snow storm they had. Though I was upset about not being to return home, on the flip side it was the best stay ever. Words can not explain the stay we had. the staff was great....beyond great. Because we couldn't get out in that bad storm. The staff gave us appetizers and soda. They had a nice variety to choose from and kept walking around talking to us making sure we were ok. They were very involved and concerned. The rooms were top notch. The housekeeper was great. The bed not only looked great but slept great as well. Also one more thing is we brought our pet dog with us and they were very friendly and excited to meet our 4 legged family member. Thank you so much Residence Inn and we will most definitely be back. You made this a great stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Justin K
ResidenceInnOlathe, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you so much for your great review!! We look forward to your return!!
Kansas City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

The friends and I stayed 1 night and thoroughly was impressed. This was the cleanest place I had stayed in, not a speck of dust in the room. We used the pool and spa and the exercise room as well. The breakfast buffet was excellent with much to choose from.
We have already planned another stay.

Room Tip: Lower suite was quiet and really nice.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you so much for your great review. We look forward to your return!!!
Lincoln
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed two nights for training at a local softwhere company. The staff could not have been nicer. The rooms were clean and the facility well maintained. The meal area was well supplied and the staff was careful to keep it that way.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Shep8
ResidenceInnOlathe, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write such a nice review. We thank you as a staff!! Come back us and see us soon!!
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Room was nice, clean and comfortable, however walls are thin could hear my neighbor snoring all night. Social hour is nice but could use a red wine - merlot or cab. Fireplace in my room was a nice touch. Especially since it was so cold

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
We appreciate your feedback from your stay. We do like to take all comments and see what we can do to improve the experience of our hotel. Please let us know if you travel back through and stay with us. Thanks!!
Omaha
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Arrived on Sunday Oct 7 for a full week of work in the KC market. When unpacking my work cloths the closet had a total of 4 hangers. Even if I doubled clothing on the hanger this is not enough. Informed Josh (?) at the front about the hangers and missing TV remote, with in minutes he brought me more hangers and a remote.
The breakfast buffet is alway nice. Except for the cartons of skim milk. on Monday 10/8 the milk was stamped with the date of 10/10/12, how ever the carton I grabbed that morning was sour, same the following morning, by Wednesday the same date was stamped on the milk and I informed the attendant that the skim milk was sour and had been for days. She seemed to busy stocking coffee cups to even notice my comment. ( I drank 2% on that day). By Thursday 10/11 the cartons stamped 10/10 were still on the buffet, but there were also cartons stamped 10/23, that is was I consumed for the remainder of my stay. Think the breakfast attendant would notice things like that when stocking the breakfast bar.
Josh (?) then had to bring me a TV Chanel guild as I was looking for the NFL network, for the Thursday night game. He is a great person to have running your front desk and does all he needs to do to meet the guest needs.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
ResidenceInnOlathe, Director of Sales at Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Thank you for your review and your kind words about our associate Josh. He really excels with customer service at the front desk. We are pleased that you recieved that great customer service with us. Thank you, as well, on the information regarding the milk. We have since changed milk suppliers and want to thank you for your feedback. We hope to see you in the future.