It's pretty rare for me to write hotel reviews while I'm still at the hotel. For one thing, I haven't yet finished the stay and may discover some other issues worth mentioning (good or not-so-good). Or maybe the front desk folks will figure out who I am and zap me with a taser (just kidding, of course...uh, I think).
But let's get down to business. I'm in Kansas City by myself for two weeks for some company training. My first week was at the Crowne Plaza, which if you follow my reviews you'll see that I mostly shredded (sorry, Crowne Plaza, but I still think it was balanced). For the second week, I moved to the Residence Inn in Olathe and the difference is like night and day. Let's put it this way: for moving just a few miles down the road I've got a one bedroom mini-apartment with not only a real refrigerator but an entire kitchenette! It's clean, comfortable, and the next best thing to being home. The front desk folks are absolutely awesome and the lot of them deserve raises -- they're holding a bag for a colleague who's not arriving until Monday, found some extra hangers when I needed them, and are just downright friendly.
I desperately want to give the Residence Inn five stars. But I've got to restrain myself and remember that I try to write balanced reviews. One other thing to keep in mind -- for those of you who've read my other reviews know -- I almost always focus on the "big stuff". Too many reviewers get emotional and either praise a hotel like it's heaven on earth or totally trash it for the silliest and most trivial reasons.
Fortunately, there's only one reason why I can't give this Residence Inn five stars. It's the Internet service, which business travelers like me depend on for a lot of our work. No, I don't expect blazing speeds like I have at home but the Internet connectivity at this property is seriously underpowered and easily gets bogged down. Last night it was almost useless, probably because it was so heavily over-used it was running out of steam.
To make my criticism constructive (and since I'm a Cyber Security consultant by profession), I'll offer up some free advice that may help them solve the problem:
1. Your provider is CenturyLink and whatever speed they're providing you is simply not enough to support all the units in this complex. Very early this morning, when most everyone was still in bed, I ran a speed test and the result was only about 5mb download. Granted, that was through the wireless, we'll get to that in a moment.
2. Your wireless access points don't support Wireless-N and should be upgraded to b/g/n access points. Wireless-N is much more efficient and almost all laptops and wireless devices can use it these days.
3. Secure your connection with at least WPA and change the password once a week. You've almost certainly got bandwidth leeches -- there are condos and townhomes in very close proximity to your building and I'd bet a paycheck that some of the folks back there are unwelcome visitors on your wireless network, sucking bandwidth away from paying guests.
My company is headquartered in Lenexa and I'd love to stay here every time I come to town. Congratulations on a fine property, a great staff, and for the "almost five stars" review!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Residence Inn by Marriott-Olathe, KS gives you room to relax, room to work, room to breathe. Stretch out in a 50% larger toom for about the same price as an ordinary hotel room. Start you day with our full breakfast buffet. Relax in our pool, whirlpool, or excerise room. Enjoy the friendly, home-like atmosphere that is uniquely Residence Inn. We have spacious studio, one bedroom, and two bedroom suites, some with fireplaces. Fully equipped kitchens with full size appliances. We have all the conveniences of a hotel and all the comforts of home. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Residence Inn Kansas City Olathe Hotel Olathe
- Residence Inn Olathe
- Marriott Olathe
- Olathe Residence Inn
- Olathe Marriott