“Such a lovely Best Western”

Best Western Plus Olathe Hotel
Ranked #2 of 14 Hotels in Olathe
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Had to contact the hotel for a reservation while on the road. I wish I could recall the gentleman's name who was so very helpful for directions and after arrival that all was OK with the room. Comfy bed and pillows!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
BW-Gen-Mgr, General Manager at Best Western Plus Olathe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Thank you so much for the kind words!

Your review is extrememly helpful to other potential guests as guidance on where to stay.

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and writing a great one at that!

Best Western PLUS Olathe Hotel & Suites

Reviewed November 8, 2012

upon checking in front desk is very professional. make you feel very welcome. explains all features available. Breatfast so so had worst. Rooms very clean & nice. Very comfortable and spaious. I slept like a baby. Beds are very comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

I am sorry the breakfast was not to your liking. This is one area that is very difficult to achieve high scores. Could you help us and give us some ideas on what you would like to see different such that we could achieve better scores?

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at (913) 440-9762.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

This might have been the worst lodging experience of my life.
When we checked in Saturday evening Sept. 29th the young woman working behind the desk was to caught up in searching the internet to notice we were waiting. Then after asking to be helped it took several times and ways of saying the same thing in order for her to understand which of the rooms in our reservation we were checking into. She had absolutely no knowledge of the surrounding area to share and couldn't give direction to a restaurant for dinner. We then requested late check out. We were told it late check out was at noon, and she wrote our request down on our signed auto ID agreement. At approximately 11 the next morning my husband noticed police arresting a woman in the Hotel. At 11:15, front desk manager Marlon Suber called and stated "you have to leave now, housekeeping has to get in your room" when I reminded Mr. Suber that we had requested late check out he informed me that he had no record of that and we would "have to get out". He then stated he would "let us have to 11:30". When I request that we be allowed to stay to our previously agreed time he said he would charge us for another day and hung up the phone. We managed to hurriedly gather our belongings together and get out of the room by 11:30. At which time I expressed my dissatisfaction to Mr. Suber personally, and was told that was just the way it is, and I could write a bad review if I wanted - that was my choice.
A little later Mr. Suber called my cell phone to inform me that he "guessed the young lady from last night had messed up a lot of things" and the "she must not have written down late check out" and that he would refund our room for our inconvenience.
The entire experience was frustrating, maddening and insulting.
And to make matters worse...
When I checked my bank account this morning I have a charge from Best Western for $105 and a $17 deduction. When I made the reservation for the rooms we were given a rate of $95 per night. I fail to understand the mathematics and how it reflects a refund, or much of anything pertaining to my stay.
And so I can only conclude the the most basic of skills are lacking in the Staff of the Best Western Plus of Olathe and that it would be best to permanently steer clear of all Best Westerns.
I can not understand how, especially in the present economy, you can hope to run a facility in this rude, affrontive, and disgraceful manner.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Laura T

Dear Laura,

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

I am sorry you were not satisfied with the intent of what we were trying to do. Let me explain the easy part. Your rate is $91.99 + tax which came to $105.47. Marlon started to do a refund and accidentally hit the wrong code which caused an additional authorization of $17.20 which is what you saw. That authorization will drop tonight (Wednesday). I wish it would drop sooner however, the banking system has control over that and not our system. What you should already see or will is that originally there was a charge of $105.47 and we did refund you $15+tax ($17.20)...that you will see and if you need further proof I will gladly provide it.

I did ask Angel about that evening and what happened and what she explained was that she was simply trying to understand which of the rooms to check in since there were two reservations under your name and each had different check-out dates...she did not know which you wanted.

I regularly "peek" in on all my staff physically or with my camera system and looking back at the footage it Angel was doing her best to assist you in check in. I do try to get the staff to do their best in understanding the area and I would agree they could do much better about that. I know you were here regarding some very unfortunate circumstances and I feel very badly for you in that regard. However, I hope that the sensitivity to your situation is not what caused us to look bad.

I have also instructed all my staff including Marlon to approach their verbiage with care as it can be misconstrued as rude even if they did not have the intent of that. Marlon has received the most outstanding, positive comments of the entire staff and I assure you he did not have any intent of being rude to you and in fact we did not have a problem with you staying until 12pm as you wanted. I told Marlon to tell you that but you had already checked out. It is at that point I told him that we would go ahead and give you $15+tax off your room and to notify you of it...that's when he called your cell phone. Angel absolutely screwed up by not notating in the proper way and proper place that you were to get a later checkout time. All other things would have been avoided if it wasn't for that...for this I truly apologize. I assure you I have already taken action with her about this and now that I have read these very upsetting comments I will further reiterate it to her and to make sure it is understood.

Regarding the police. This does not normally happen. In fact it has happened one other time in the last 4 years. However, we don't do background checks on our guests. I ask my staff not to profile either but sometimes it is obvious we should let a person move on rather than take their business if they clearly look like trouble. The person in question had no such issues except that she was trying not to be found due to a situation with her being physically abused by her husband. I don't know why the police came and took her away. But I trust my judgement and the judgement of my trained staff that if the person doesn't look like trouble then they should be our guest and, of course, to have compassion for those in need in a situation like this woman's. The fact that the police came does not have any bearing on our being a quality, high-rated hotel but just that this hotel got caught up (slightly) in the middle of something it cannot control.

I am sorry you see our hotel and staff to be rude, affrontive, and disgraceful. We clearly didn't make you happy. But that is not our practice and many, many guests would agree. Were it not for the Lord we would be perfect but unfortunately in our relentless effort to achieve perfection we still makes mistake and we ask for your forgiveness. I do hope you feel the sincerity in my words and give us another chance but if you choose not to I would understand and we wish you the best wherever you choose to stay next time.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We were in town for a soccer tournament. The hotel has easy access off I-35. The check-in was very efficient. The room was very nice and clean. The sheets were fresh and smelled great. The breakfast was below average at best. We would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 20, 2012

The front desk team, Ken especially, went above and beyond to help us with computer issues, directions and forgotten wine openers. The Best Western is a Great value and comfortable place to stay. The beds are really comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
BW-Gen-Mgr, General Manager at Best Western Plus Olathe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thank you for the review!

It means a lot that you took the time to post this as many people view it when deciding where to stay.

I appreciate your comments to Ken and I will let him know.

We hope to see you soon!

PS You'll notice next time our changes to the breakfast and the breakfast set up.

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We were welcomed by the night clerk who went above and beyond with his customer service. He helped the visitor ahead of us gather info for the driver's license bureau and extended the offer to help us with anything as well. It's not common to see that level of service.
The rooms were decorated nicely and provided plenty of room for our family of three. Everything was clean and kept up well. We would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2012
BW-Gen-Mgr, Manager at Best Western Plus Olathe Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Thank you very much for the glowing review and also for taking the time to share photos taken during your stay (especially the one of our sanitized remotes)!

We love to hear how each of our employees go above and beyond in exceeding guest expectations and we can't wait to see you next time you come through.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Wherever you travel to KC, you'll find the short drive to this hotel worth the time spent. I've tried every other hotel brand in the region, paid lots more, been closer to my work, but I'll not
waste my time anywhere else again. The owner and his entire staff work effortlessly to make sure your stay exceeds your expectations. Rooms are spacious and comfortable, ammenities are just right, and breakfast is always great. Fresh, clean, and well-stocked. Plenty of great restaurants within a mile, too. Stay here once, you'll be back.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

We're delighted that your time spent here was worth the drive. We have made some changes to our pool and hot tub area as well as to our breakfast selections and can't wait to hear your opinion on the updates the next time that you stay with us.