“You feel like you are discovering something!”
Review of Monument Rocks

Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Oakley
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Several paved and unpaved side roads off Interstate 70 will get you to Monument Rocks. Set in miles of scrubby high plains these rocks are startling when you first see them. Even better is the complete lack of commercialism or infrastructure attached to them. You drive up and park and clamber around, looking at lizards and embedded seashells and the occasional flying bug. It is possible to climb to the top of the 70 ft cliffs but the descent is harrowing. I wouldnt rec it for kids or those wearing flip flops. Overall this is a wonderful side trip for anybody slogging their way through Western Kansas

Reviewed July 9, 2012

OMG! it's So SO cool. And true, you have to really enjoy the outdoors and natural wonders, but it's So SOOO cool 8-) I know, redundant. Caution, make sure you have a enough gas in your vehicle (or hay for your horse) to get to and from. It's about 13 miles off the highway. Bring water, a hat and, Of Course, a camera. The rest just goes w/o saying. You can even climb up to the very top (but Please be careful ;)

Reviewed June 22, 2012

I was out in western Kansas on a weekend road trip. I made it to Oakley, KS to see the Buffalo Bill sculpture and then decided to head south on US-83. I saw the sign on US-83 south that showed the monument rocks . I decided to take a risk and drive down the 7 miles of dirt road in order to see this landmark. It looked pretty cool on the billboard, but to see it in person was another story.

After 7 miles of driving down dirt road I could see the monument rocks from a distance and let me tell you, they looked absolutely beautiful!! Do note that these rocks are located out in the middle of nowhere so make sure your gas tank is full and you have all the basic necessities (food, water, first aid) in case of emergency. I was amazed upon arriving to the landmarks because I have lived in KS my entire life and not seen any thing like it. I was told and heard that there is nothing in KS and that the state is all flat. Well, after a while I got curious about the state so I set out on an adventure to explore the state of KS. In some parts of KS there is really nothing except farm land and cattle. In other parts of KS there are hills, and great views of the KS prairie.

Monument rocks is one of the places that I happened to find while on my adventure to explore KS. It’s really neat because I would’ve thought a landmark like this would not exist in KS. It was really nice to climb to the top of the rocks and just get a view of the land from the top. I happened to arrive during the afternoon and spent about 1-2 hours there so I got to watch the sunset which for me was very peaceful.

I saw a lot of other visitors there as well. It’s a great place for a family outing, but be sure to bring an SUV for the dirt road terrain and food, water, and snacks because it literally is out in the middle of nowhere. Also, take caution and be careful when climbing on the rocks. Oh yeah, DO NOT FORGET your camera! If you’re an avid photographer you can get some great views of the monument and of the surrounding land or if you’re just an adventurous soul like me you’ll want to take a picture to reminisice on what you felt and experienced when you were there.

1  Thank BobbyPhengvongsa
Reviewed June 3, 2012

Remarkable chalk towers carved from limestone. Quiet and beautiful.

Reviewed May 5, 2012

If you are traveling by on I-70 and can spare at least an hour and don't mind driving on gravel roads, this is an amazing place to see! Out in the middle of flat Kansas, you have these stones sticking out of nowhere, and much bigger than you would expect. It was nearly 100 degrees outside, but my wife and I still didn't mind getting out of the car to do some climbing and get some great pictures. If you have the time to spare, it is well worth your time!

Been to Monument Rocks? Share your experiences!