“Hidden Gem”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Oakley
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Sure I've stayed in fancier places yet there is something charming about a little family run hotel...that is - the ones that are clean and well cared for! It was very clean, comfortable room, and I liked that the historic tile with the A.O. initials were still intact in the bathroom. I have a feeling that this motel may have a constant "in renovation" feel to it. That didn't bother me especially after seeing the owner teaching a young boy (I believe to be his son) how to fix his bicycle. It was endearing to see and made me wonder if the child had also stood next to the owner when renovating the rooms.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Sarah H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

Well true it's not the Hilton, but very welcoming clean and tidy, also well priced for the weary traveller. We would come again

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bryan W
Ashland, Ohio
Reviewed August 20, 2011

It's a typical story about an Indian family that moved to America and bought a motel. If you are looking for a clean place at a fair price this could be it. If you care about appearances you might want to pass. I'm guessing the owner is a do-it-yourself sort of person judging by the quality of the 'improvements' that have been done. An example photo is attached. The vanity in my bathroom was removed and replaced with just a new counter top. One end was fastened to a 2" x 4" nailed to the wall and the other end was supported by a brace made of 2" x 4"s. No vanity under it and unsupported in the center. I was so amused at how crude the work was that I took this photo to show my friends.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Sknovr
NW AR
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I stayed at the Annie Oakley on the way to Oregon. It was a long trip, and I'd gotten a late start, the day I stayed there. The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was clean. There's not much in the way of amenities. It's an old motel that is being updated. There is a laundry facility across the parking lot, but it's not open 24 hours.
One corner of the vanity was propped up with a 2x4, and there was no cabinet or support under the surface. It appeared to be partway through renovation. If the room was like this for some time, then I would rate it lower. I was not thrilled with how dim the lighting was in the room (high-efficiency bulbs in a single overhead and two lamps just weren't enough for me, and I'm usually not too picky about having lots of light). There was some paint on the carpet, and they had one of the things that I hate: shampoo and conditioner in tear-open plastic pouches. I had a small bag to pull out for the night, and I'd forgotten to put my own shampoo in it, so I was stuck using theirs. Get your hands wet, get a little soap on them, THEN try tearing open a well-sealed shampoo (or jelly) packet...

Nice folks. Small town (good cafe and donut shop a block or so down the street). Hard to find at night, due to poor street signs and road markings in the town! Probably the best price you'll find in the area for a clean room.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank NWA_VP
Powell, Tennessee
Reviewed June 19, 2011

You really could eat off their floors in the room. I don't think I could ever get them that clean. A really pleasant surprise I the middle of nowhere. I will tell others about the place and encourage others to sat here....

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Pmrphoto
Clever, Missouri
Reviewed July 15, 2010

We had to stop driving on our way home from Colorado to get some sleep and found the Annie Oakley Motel in Oakley, KS and were very pleasantly surprised. Clean rooms very comfortable beds and a very nice couple were there to greet us when we got there. The bathrooms could stand a renovation but they were still clean and functional. Not much else to say about Oakley Kansas but we found a nice place to lay our heads for the night.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oakley
Kansas Country Inn
#7 of 10 in Colby
Sleep Inn & Suites
Sleep Inn & Suites
#2 of 10 in Colby

Been to Annie Oakley Motel? Share your experiences!