“Bad Curb Appeal......”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Newton
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Bad Curb Appeal......”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

I am from a much bigger city than Newton so maybe I should not be so critical but driving up to the Hotel one wonders if it has any up keep at all??? I was in town for a wedding at the meridian center, right next door, and both properties looked absolutely awful. Once inside the hotel was wonderful. Great rooms, great service, great breakfast! I enjoy yard work so this is always something I notice first about a business. Doesn't Holiday Inn have corporate standards? I always try and stay at Holiday Inns because they are so consistently good but I have to speak up about this.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newton, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
Dear Albert T,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re very sorry you were not satisfied with the exterior condition of the hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas. We welcome any opportunity to improve.

Ferdinand G
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Berkeley Springs, West Virginia
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Not my first visit to Newton. I will say this is by far the best place to stay in town. Rooms are very nicely appointed with modern furnishings. Breakfast was nice offering of hot items including a casserole which was different than anything I have received with a complimentary breakfast in the past. I agree with a previous post about the slippery pool area. However, the pool is huge compared to many and the kids had a great time swimming. If you can keep the kids in the pool, all is well.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
RITZVILLE
Reviewed October 10, 2013

My husband and I booked adjoining rooms and the staff was kind enough to work that out. We love this hotel because it is beautiful. Upon checking out they give you paperwork that says if you cannot give them a '10', then please come down to front desk. Well I went down to front desk to complain about the 2" crickets crawling on our bedspread. I even took a picture. We also found two more in our bathroom along with some black bugs and earwigs. The front desk assured us that it was normal to have them in the rooms in Sept. and that they spray but find it difficult to keep the bugs at bay. We stayed two nights and dropped almost 500$ and I would have thought they would of given us some sort of compensation, but they did not. We stayed there Sept. 12 & 13. I was really disappointed that they did not seem to care that we were sleeping and showering with bugs. We will go back again because it is the nicest place in Newton, KS. Perhaps next time will be free of bugs.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
oswego, kansas
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Stayed for a week in this hotel. Room was very nice and clean. Loved having a desk so I could do work while I was there. The lounge area downstairs was also nice and most of the people from my conference were able to get together at night. Staff was very friendly.

Con: While at the pool the tile was so slippery. I actually fell and cut open my knee on the drain surrounding the pool. The front desk did offer a band aid but the bleeding did not stop until the next morning. I still have a large scar on my knee from that fall. People ask me if I had knee surgery because it is that large...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newton, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Julia B,

Regards,

Karen C
Overland Park, KS
Reviewed September 22, 2013

Went to newton, KS for a wedding and stayed at the Holiday Inn Express while we were there. Check in procedure was a little hectic with only person on a Friday evening at the front desk but even with all that was going on the staff member was extremely helpful and professional. Room was very comfortable and quiet with no problems what so ever. The breakfast was good enough to start the day.

Would recommend this as a place to stay if you are visiting Newton.

Ottawa, Kansas
Reviewed September 20, 2013

Staff greeted me pleasantly as I approached the check in desk. Very helpful, extremely courteous, very professional. My room was absolutely spotless. Although I did have take time for breakfast, I did notice a very clean dining area. Will stay again if in area and can highly recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Stayed here while in town for the Kansas State Fair. Decided on this hotel because all the hotels in Hutchinson were booked and this one was #1 on Trip Advisor for Newton which we would be passing through. Had a few complaints about our stay but nothing huge.
-Upon booking we were told that we would have a room with a king bedroom plus a separate living area with a pull out couch. What we actually got was one decent sized room with the king sized bed and couch only separated by a 1-foot barrier, so I would definitely not consider it a "separate living area".
-There were several small pieces of trash on the floor of our room by the sofa.
-The toilet water pressure was non-existent so we had to flush it several times every time we used it.
-The breakfast was a bit of a let down, it looked great but nothing on it tasted very good.
-The service was decent, but when we asked for extra blankets they acted not so thrilled to help us. There was also a few times when I had to wait quite a while at the desk before anyone came to help.
-The pull out bed was very uncomfortable.
-Globs of hair and used band-aids in the pool
-The lobby and elevator never had that "clean hotel smell" (they smelled a bit stale)
None of these things were major, or ruined our trip by any means but this hotel was just not quite as nice as some other HIE's I've stayed in, plus with taxes my room came out to $150/night which seemed pretty expensive for Newton, so I guess I had high expectations.
If I'm in the area again I would possibly stay again or maybe try the Comfort Inn.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newton, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Roarviews,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Joel B
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newton
Comfort Inn & Suites Newton
#3 of 4 in Park City
Quality Inn & Suites
Quality Inn & Suites
#4 of 4 in Park City

Been to Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newton? Share your experiences!