“Don't Stay Here!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mission
Mission, Kansas
“Don't Stay Here!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2012

I laugh as I read another review, because they say this Value Place is located in an upscale neighborhood. Now THAT is funny. My mother doesn't like to visit me here because of the area. So, I'm curious what this person's idea of "upscale" is.

I'm compelled to write a review because I stayed at the Value Place in Liberty, MO before this one, where the customer service was deplorable. I thought maybe it was just the The Value Place in Liberty, and that this one would be different. But, it's just as bad but for different reasons. First of all, it has been ungodly hot the past few weeks, 100+ weather. When it gets hot, our air conditioning barely works. We sit in our room and sweat, even with fans on, but the staff here just says that's the way it is when it gets really hot. OF COURSE nothing is done about it.

Now, to the other customer service issues I've had. The staff seem friendly at first. Let me say first off, that we're paying about $300/week to be here. That's $1,200/month. I do have some expectations when I'm dishing out $1,200/month for a place like this. We pay $10/week for internet. We had a modem set up with wi-fi, until we got a nasty notice that we will be EVICTED if we're caught with our modem on. It seems an older lady complained that her computer got a virus because of somebody's wi-fi, and the staff here were stupid enough to believe this could happen and made us shut our modem/wi-fi down. They didn't research this or contact an actual computer person - they just took this idiot's word for it that a modem/wi-fi is what was causing her virus. Additionally, when I called to complain about this, the maintenance man, Troy, was extremely rude on the phone.

My next customer service complaint...I was cooking hash browns in my room. It got a little too smokey with the hot oil and the hash browns cooking, and the smoke alarm went off. I turned on 3 fans, opened the window, and opened the door to the hallway. I got the alarm to shut off on my own. Eventually, Troy shows up at my door. He got really close to me, and told me I needed to shut my door - mind you, he was not nice while he was saying this. He acted mad at me because having my door open could set off the floor alarm - funny that the alarm had already gone off by the time he showed up at my room!

At both Value Places I've stayed at, the staff treat you like they're doing you a huge favor by letting you stay at their Value Place. The maintenance man, David, at the Liberty Value Place was amazing. He was nice, he was helpful. The maintenance man at THIS Value Place needs to get together with David to learn how guests are supposed to be treated.

Oh, also...they're SUPPOSED to clean your room every 2 weeks. We got a note saying they didn't have time to get to our room, but they offered to exchange our linens if WE brought them down! How amazingly generous of them!

I don't recommend anybody EVER staying at any Value Place. I realize it's cheaper than other places, but you also get the horrible customer service along with it. The beds suck, they are on a slab of wood or something. They slide all over the bed because it's simply a mattress laying on a slick piece of wood. If you want a pleasant stay where you'll get a good night's sleep, NEVER stay at The Value Place - especially the Mission and Liberty Value Place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Stephanie W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Mission, Kansas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

I stayed at THE Value Place Extended Stay Hotel, in Mission Kansas, for 7 months. It was a great experience and exceeded all of my expectations. They are located in an upscale neighborhood in Kansas City - with easy access to almost anything. My greatest concern, when staying at a hotel is safety, for myself and my car. Value Place proved to be incredibly safe and secure with police/security patrolling parking lot at night. The staff was wonderful and personal requests/problems were addressed and taken care of immediately. Noise wasn't a problem. Sometimes, I wondered if I was the only guest (eventhough hotel was full) because it was so quiet. I am a light sleeper but noise was no problem when taking a nap or getting a good night's sleep. This is, by far, the cheapest and greatest deal kansas City has to offfer when it comes to extended stay hotels. I LOVED IT!!! Lydia

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank lydia s
North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

When I looked for lodging in Kansas City for my husband and myself I was dismayed to find that most hotels/motels were $60 (only 1) and up. Then, I found the ad for Value Place. I was hesitant to book a room because the rate for a week (the minimum stay) with taxes and fees was $220. The location was good and we decided to take a chance. It turned out to be an excellent choice. Value Place promises inexpensive but simple lodging which is clean and safe and I am pleased to say that was the case. We simply needed a place to sleep so we didn't use the stove or microwave ... though the full sized fridge was handy to store OJ and yogurt for breakfast. I would call Value Place "industrial strength simplicity" ... there are no frills here and you must pay extra for things like a coffeepot or dishes or some of the other amenities. There is no answering service. Our room had a double bed, small tale and 2 chairs, TV, telephone and alarm clock. When you check in your receive and inventory sheet and everything in the room is listed. There are also a list of rules which seem a bit odd at first but which help to keep the place safe and clean and quiet. I think most of the people who stay there are people who are working temporary jobs or perhaps looking for a place to live. The staff was friendly and helpful. There are no chocolates left on your pillow at night ... but with money you save you can buy a whole box of Godiva.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Femmedefleur
kansas city
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

My boyfriend and I chose this place because we were in the middle of looking for a new place and we liked that they had a small kitchen area. We stayed here for only a month and then were taken for 650 dollars. In the agreement it states if the police are called that you have to leave immediately and you don't get your money back. So at 4 am while my boyfriend and I were laying down,the shady security guard that followed us around all the time called the police on us the day after we had just given them 650 dollars,and told the police we were loud and arguing. The police actually arrested my boyfriend,with no proof that we were arguing,only taking his word for it. They basically got a free 750 dollars (including the 100 deposit) kicked us out and probably did the same thing to the next person that checked in. Now that was the biggest problem. The other problems were the housekeepers NEVER came,they had roaches everywhere,on the website it shows big beds but you'll really be sleeping on a twin bed fit for a child,if you get a room by a staircase be prepared to listen to that door slam ALL NIGHT,white trash wandered the halls at night,and people's cars were getting broken into every night and I honestly believe it was the staff.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
11 Thank nicolerKansasCity
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mission
Quality Inn Merriam
816 Hotel
#20 of 108 in Kansas City
Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at Shawnee Mission
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at...
#31 of 37 in Overland Park
Super 8 Merriam Shawnee

Been to WoodSpring Suites Kansas City Mission? Share your experiences!