“Place Is Improving”

Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Merriam
Johnston, Iowa
“Place Is Improving”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I have stayed here over a period of time and the owners are improving the hotel piece-by-piece which has dragged out their project. Manager and Staff are always cordial and I understand the "inconveniences" of running a business while major remodeling is on-going. Room basics and amenities have also been improved. Room rates are competitive and I will most likely continue staying there because of its convenient location for my business duties.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Joe G

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Collierville, Tennessee
Reviewed January 23, 2012

We were pretty shocked when we walked into the lobby of this hotel on 1-21-12. It's not just undergoing rennovations, the whole hotel is litterally being gutted. One would think you would pick an area or two at a time, but most of what we saw on the first and second floors were torn to shreds. Paint cans, tarps, torn down sheetrock littered the floor. We got off the elevator on the second floor and the ice machine and soda machine had been drug into the middle of the hallway and were unplugged. We navigated around them, but the whole time I was getting more and more apprehensive. The room was surprisingly okay. Very worn and dated, but not as scary as I had envisioned. We heard quite a bit of traffic and trains overnight. The breakfast was pretty sad- defineately not inline with Comfort Inn standards. We sure won't be back, and would advise anyone else to wait a while and then maybe see if they are done with the rennovations.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ChristineJonesFromTN
USA
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Stayed here 1 night on business - front desk clerk was relatively efficient but disinterested. Lobby was awful, with stained, worn sofas and peeling wallpaper. Rooms were relatively clean but very dated. TVs weren't flat screens, poor reception. Weak wi-fi in rooms. Breakfast was standard fare comfort inn.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Wichita, KS
Reviewed April 15, 2011

My aunt made reservations for a girls weekend at this hotel without seeing it first. It was awful. Their idea of adjoining rooms were 2 rooms next to each other (no connecting door), and the room itself was dated and dirty. The desk chair had hair oil on the chair back and butt jam on the seat-we immediately cleaned that. The bathroom had rusted fixtures,gouged walls, stained bathtub. Our entire stay the only cleaning the staff did was give us clean towels-the toilet, bathtub were never wiped,the carpet never swept,and the lamp that we reported as not working when we checked in was never fixed.
The only reason we stayed was because my aunt had prepaid for the rooms,and was afraid she could not get her money returned. We only returned to the room late at night to sleep,which was also hard as the mattresses had no support.
Quite literally the worst hotel I have stayed in since I was about 20 ,and couldnt afford better-yuck!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
springfield, mo
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Stayed one night at this hotel. The room is definitely dated. Old furniture, stains in the bathtub, old TV, etc. Bed was comfortable, AC worked good, and everything was clean. Pool was decent. Front desk staff was a little slow at check in and check out. I chose this hotel because it was one of the cheapest hotels I could find in the area. As we all know, you get what you pay for. I would stay here again if returning to the area and looking to save money again.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Flagstaff, AZ
Reviewed August 27, 2009

I stayed here one night and chose this hotel because it was close to where my friend lived and I was able to use points for a free stay. It didn't seem bad when I first walked in and it wasn't until later that night when I returned that I began to notice problems. The bedspread had a very gross-looking stain on it - who knows? There were spots on the ceiling. Not black, a tan color, but I couldn't figure out what it could be. Some places looked clean and other places were dirty like the housecleaner just missed a lot. Some of the lamps didn't work. The room just looked like it needed a renovation very badly! The hallway was hot and smelled very stale. I thought maybe it wasn't right of me to think the hallway should be air conditioned in this time of conservation though. Some good points definitely worth mentioning is that the a/c in the room worked very well and there was a fridge and micro in the room. The woman at the front desk who checked me in was really very nice and professional. I had no bad experience with the people, they were great. I don't think I would want to stay here again until it is renovated.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed March 5, 2008

We stayed December 7,2007. The hotel was nice. The room was basic, updated. and clean. Breakfast was good. The service was fine. Staff was professional. The hotel is fairly close to shopping and easy to get to. I would stay there again if the price was right.

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — it was fine
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merriam
Quality Inn Merriam
Quality Inn Merriam
#4 of 5 in Merriam
Drury Inn Kansas City Shawnee Mission
Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at Shawnee Mission
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at...
#30 of 37 in Overland Park
WoodSpring Suites Kansas City Mission
Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Lenexa - 87th St.

Been to Super 8 Merriam Shawnee? Share your experiences!