“Never again, despite their 100% Guarantee!”

Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Merriam
Atlanta
“Never again, despite their 100% Guarantee!”
Reviewed April 11, 2010

Where to begin.... We booked a 4 day stay. We arrived late. The person who booked us in was friendly but struggled to get the wifi code and answer basic questions. We had a double queen with kitchenette. When we had called they had failed to mention the limits of the kitchen, such as a lack of an oven, tho range is included. Fortunately, I overpacked and brought most of needed items but many needed an oven. The pool / jacuzzi were out during our entire stay which was a huge disappointment for our kids. The towels were not of good quality. The beds were a bit squished in with the one bed right up against a mirror closet that my daughter kept bumping into during the night. The AC in the bedroom wouldn't work consistently tho it was great in the living/kitchen area room. The TRAIN kept us up most of the night and we slept POORLY. The breakfast was just barely above standard. The staff was friendly but mostly not competant. We struggled with our wifi staying on and had to reconnect it several times a day for no apparent reason. There were no good restaurants in close proximity. When checking out the lady was incompentant and double changed our credit card which we couldn't resolve until the Monday after our return... as a result we couldn't use our "available funds" as they were "frozen". We were told we could have a free stay due to the pool being inoperable, et al. by the manager but it wouldn't be worth staying there even for free. Bad experience.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Victoria A, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Thank you for your stay with the Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam, KS. We know travelers have many options when on the road and we appreciate the opportunity to serve you! I know that your time is valuable and I thank you for taking time to complete review. Guest feedback is the best way to learn how to improve our facility and service to ensure all our guests have a great experience.

It seems your stay with us with disappointing on many fronts. I am so sorry about that. I am new to manging this location and I assure we are building a staff that knows their job and this facility well and provides excellent service!

Our rooms due lack the oven, but do have the burners and we are do our best to inform guests booking our suites that it is not a completely full kitchen.

This area is growing with dining and shoping estabishments popping up frequently, and hopefully the area will continue to grow to give travelers more options!

I hope if you will be in this area again, that you will consider giving us another chance!

913-722-0800

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Sammamish, Washington
Reviewed March 28, 2010

Pool was cold, hot tub jets didn't work, the complimentary breakfast was horrible, there were kids running up and down the hallways all night long and the trains seemed to run all night long. Terrible nights sleep for me and my two little girls. Overall a very disappointing experience.

• Stayed April 2010

I highly apologize that your experience with us was so unpleasant. I have been in the hotel industry for 13 years, but I am new to this location, just here a few months, and I can assure you the staff is working very hard to improve all aspects of our hotel. I know that once you have a bad experience, it can be difficult to consider giving a place another try, and we do still have the trains, however we do have earplugs available and our staff walks the property frequently to ensure that there is not additional noise so that our guests can get the best rest possible.

If you would consider trying us again, please do get in touch wiht me!

Do not hesitate to let me know if there is anything we can do for you!

Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed August 1, 2009

I will start with this about my review - it's not necessarily a fair review, because the hotel is in the process of renovating.

The room itself was not bad, but I could not for the life of me get the A/C to work correctly. The hallways were cooler than the room. The bathroom looked as it had already been through the renovation process and it was very nice. Even the towels were nice and soft (not typical for any hotel other than a five star).

The staff were VERY friendly. I was always greeted by any employee I passed.

The breakfast - I arrived at about 8:55am thinking it ended at 9:00. I wasn't expecting much, since I figured they were about to start cleaning up. There wasn't a lot available at that point...mostly donuts and biscuits and cereals. There was one warming tray, but it was empty. But when I left I noticed that breakfast actually went until 10:00am. I would have expected a little more.

The "Business Center" is two computers in the main lobby. They are frustratingly slow. If you need to print boarding passes or the like, they are fine. Anything else...bring your own laptop.

I would imagine in a month or two this hotel will be in much nicer shape, so I wouldn't hold some of the appearance against them and would be willing to stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business

Thank you so much for having the patience to stay with us during our renovoation! Those are not complete and we've made some wonderful upgrades to our property, with a new business center and upgraded breakfest area!

I hope you come back to visit us to see the finished product!

Overland Park, Kansas
Reviewed December 18, 2008

The hotel was all right. The fridge was broke, but we had a cooler in the room. The pool and hot tub were real nice, as was the breakfast the next morning. Staff was friendly and accommodating.

The neighborhood is a little out there, as there are no restaurants or anything within walking distance. However, it is Kansas. Who is going to be there without a car?

The one thing I found funny was the "recommendation" for an establishment called The Red Balloon as a restaurant. As a former Kansas Citian, I can assure you that The Red Balloon is not a place for your regular, run of the mill type patron.

• Liked — Pool, hot tub
  • Disliked — broken fridge
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

I am so pleased to hear that our staff and hotel was met you needs! This area is starting to grow with dining options close for walking or within just a few miles of driving! Hopefully the area will continue to develop!

fort wayne, in
Reviewed March 14, 2008

I had a one night stay on business. The positives: Everyone was very customer friendly, wireless connection was strong in my room, the hotel was clean and the breakfast was well done (typical Hampton Inn, but food area was clean and well stocked).

The negative: Trains. There are tracks that run along the back of the hotel. The front is highway. In the morning I complained about the trains to a business associate and his reply, "what trains." This is obviously a problem since the hotel actually had ear-plugs in the room. I opted not to use them and regretted that decision at 5:00 am.

The moral of the story, opt for a room on the frontside of the hotel.

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — trains
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Our location is ideal for some, with easy highway access, but with traffic and train noise, it can be less than ideal for others.

We do our best to put guests in rooms that are away from the highway and the trains when possible, and do offer the earplugs and we that allows for a better nights rest.

Nashville, TN
Reviewed February 25, 2008

I stayed at this hotel for a very quick business trip. We chose this Hampton Inn because of its close proximity to our business associates. The hotel was a typical Hampton Inn, but unfortunately it wasn't the best Hampton Inn. My room was huge and the bathroom was great, but I think it was a smoking room at one time. The smell was horrible...smoke covered up by vanilla. Since I was only going to be there long enough to get some sleep, I didn't bother changing rooms. Unfortunately my room also faced the interstate, which stayed very busy all night long. Thankfully there were complimentary ear plugs on the bed side table. Maybe that was a hint? My fellow traveler was stuck listening to the train all night long. I would not recommend this particular Hampton Inn for this area. I believe there are other Hampton Inn locations that would be a better option.

• Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
Thank you for your stay with the Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam, KS. We know travelers have many options when on the road and we appreciate the opportunity to serve you! I know that your time is valuable and I thank you for taking time to review our property. Guest feedback is the best way to learn how to improve our facility and service to ensure all our guests have a great experience.

Unfortunately, the proximity to the highway and train tracks are something beyond our control at this time, but we try to place guests away from those areas when possible. There are also times, that guests do smoke in non-smoking rooms, which we have tried to combat here by offering a few smoking rooms for guests that have that preference.

Here at the Hampton Inn & Suites, we are working hard to ensure that all of our guests have a great experience! I have been working in the hospitality industry for 13 years, but I am new to managing this location, just here a few weeks! It is very benefical for me to read these reviews and see how we can improve our property and service.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can do for you!
Netherlands
Reviewed May 28, 2007

The location of this hotel is just south of Kansas City, in a somewhat dull neighborhood, no restaurants or shops nearby. The hotel has a nice lobby with high ceilings. We arrived late in the afternoon and had a hotel coupon. There was a young girl at the reception and check-in went smooth. We were told that we had a room with just a refrigerator and to our pleasant surprise we also had a microwave.

The room has a table with two chairs and a working desk with chair, everything in good condition. Clean and good bathroom and there are of course the superb Hampton beds. There is a small shop where we could buy frozen meals of good quality. That was nice, we were tired after a long drive and didn’t want to go out anymore.

We were on the ground floor and our window had a look at the inside swimming pool. It was pleasant to sit round our table, have our diner and watch children play in the pool (without having the noise that usually goes with it). It was also in the evening very quiet in our room and we had a good night sleep.

In the morning breakfast was fine. In all we had a good stay.

• Liked — The pleasant Hampton Inn quality
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank BA-traveler

It is great to here that our service at check-in, room cleanliness, and amenties and property set-up allowed you to have a great stay! This area is growing, with shopping and dining popping up all the time, so hopefully if you visit us again we can give you some great nearby recommendations to further enhance your visit!

Please do not hesitate to contact me if there is anything I can do for you!
913-722-0800
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merriam
Drury Inn Kansas City Shawnee Mission
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West
Quality Inn Merriam
Quality Inn Merriam
#4 of 5 in Merriam
Hampton Inn Kansas City/Shawnee Mission
Hampton Inn & Suites Kansas City Country Club Plaza
Hampton Inn Kansas City/Overland Park

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam? Share your experiences!