“Lackluster experience”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Merriam
Columbus, Mississippi
“Lackluster experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2012

We had a rather unpleasant stay here. We were woken up in the middle of the night by our smoke alarm, which seemed to have been set off by smoke coming out of the heating system. When we reported the issue to the front desk, the reply we got was "were you smoking in your room?"

Also, the fitted sheet was the wrong size for the bed and kept untucking from the corners while we slept. There was sticky residue on the desk from a past guest's drink.

This isn't a good hotel for light sleepers - it's right next to a highway and train tracks.

Besides the problems above, I thought it was an adequate stay. It was mostly clean and reasonably priced.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Traveler_NatalieC
Keith E, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel. I am certainly disappointed that your stay fell below your expectations and I would like to personally apologize on behalf of the hotel and our team for the problem’s you experienced during your stay.

Our standard procedure in the event a problem occurs is to research the problem
immediately and promptly and to resolve any guest issue so they will have an excellent stay. I am working with the staff to manage guest request and any concerns in a more professional manner.

After looking into your concerns, I found that the Heating cycle within the HVAC units had not been used for several months and I immediately ran the heating cycle on all units within the hotel to eliminate any further issues. I also replaced the sheets that were too small and ensured that the existing bedding has the proper size linen.

In regards to the highway and train traffic, I apologize for the slight noise you experience and can ensure you that the traffic was not typical and I am looking into a natural sound device for anyone that may be a light sleeper so they will feel at home and have a great nights sleep.

I would like to ensure you that I have implemented new training for all associates so that we manage our guest concerns in a more professional manner and attend to any issues in a timely manner.

I would love to welcome you back when you’re in the area again so you can experience true Hamptonality. Please feel free to contact myself directly via the below details if you are travelling
to Kansas City again so that I may personally take care of you and your next stay.

We look forward to seing youn again in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Springfield, Missouri
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2012

I will confirm what other reviewers have said...there is a train behind and a highway in front of this hotel. We lucked out and landed in room 103 which was sheltered from both highway noise and train noise...so not all rooms have this problem! Everything was clean, tidy and as expected from a Hampton Inn. The location was convenient to the shopping destinations we had in mind, and the price was definitely right compared with hotels that were closer to shopping. The area that the hotel was located in wasn't particularly upscale, more commercial/industrial, but we never felt unsafe.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is near the vending/fitness areas, but not facing the highway. This gives you a...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Victoria A, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your stay with the Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam, KS. We know travelers have many options when on the road and we appreciate the opportunity to serve you! I know that your time is valuable and I thank you for taking time to complete this review. Guest feedback is the best way to learn how to improve our facility and service to ensure all our guests have a great experience.

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We work hard to ensure our guests have a great experience! I am glad we followed through on our efforts to place guests away from trains and highway noise when possible!

Please do not hesitate to let me know if there is anything I can do for you! Hopefully we will see you again!

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Hampton Inn for four nights. The staff was very accommodating and pleasant from the front desk to the housekeeping staff. A complimentary breakfast was provided with a good variety selection. If you are a light sleeper they will put you in a middle room to avoid the sounds of the train or highway. However, the trains were not that bad. I didn't notice it too much. The location was on the highway, but was close to a major shopping center at the next exit. I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed September 2012

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We work hard to ensure our guests have a great experience! I am happy that our staff did a great job and that you enjoyed our amenities!

Sterling Heights, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

This is a nicely situated hotel with a cheerfull staff. I'm a Hilton Gold member and, when I checked in, the desk clerk said "The snack that's part of your Hilton My Way preference is already in your room along with a bottle of water." That night, I realized it wasn't there, but I was already too tired to go down and get it. The room was clean, comfortable, and very quiet, even though this hotel is near I-35. The next morning, the breakfast area was spotless, with a wide selection of fresh fruit and yogurt as well as traditional breakfast items. As I was leaving, I asked Wendy at the front desk if she could make up for the missing snack by letting me have a diet soda from the front desk shop. She said, "Absolutely! Take two! I am so sorry your snack wasn't in your room."

Room Tip: If you're not used to the frontage road system in Kansas/Missouri, you may be a little confused...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank professordoctormom

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We work hard to ensure our guests have a great experience! We strive to have the most clean and well maintained rooms and best service in the midwest!

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

This hotel has been recently updated so the rooms are nice. The staff is beyond excellent..they fell all over me when I checked in. Friendly and helpful. I was in room 525..it was a king suite with a jacuzzi which was nice but when the room upstairs ran the bath I thought a hurricane came through. Never heard anything so loud!! Its on the freeway too and that made for a noisy night ...so bring ear plugs. Nice lobby and good location tho...and great rates.

Room Tip: take the front with the highway noise in lieu of the back and the train noise.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We work hard to ensure our guests have a great experience! We are now offering beside earplugs in an effort to ensure our guests get a good nights rest!

Council Bluffs, Iowa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

The lobby and rooms were nice and appeared to be recently updated. The staff were very helpful. The train tracks that run right behind the hotel are an issue. I'm typically a very heavy sleeper and don't wake up for anything. But, they seem to blow the horn right behind the hotel. Woke me up several times during the night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the front entrance, this will put you as far from the trains as possible. I was...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

I am terribly sorry that you were unable to get a good nights rest due to the trains. We are now offering earplugs in our guest rooms now in an effort to help our guests get a better nights rest. When our occupancy allows, we do try to gives guests rooms as far from the rains as possible.

Bentonville, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

I've stayed here before and wasn't very impressed at all. However, this time I was very pleased. Rooms have been remodeled and are extremely nice and comfortable. Rooms had nice furnishings and was good size. Lobby was large and clean and the evening clerk who checked me in was very, very pleasant. I'll definitely be back here again. Price was great for the hotel.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business

I am so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. We work hard to ensure our guests have a great experience! It is epsecially great to hear that after an experience that was not impressive, you gave us another chance to show you how great we can be! Thank you giving us that opportunity!

913-722-0800
Also consider these accommodations in or near Merriam
Drury Inn Kansas City Shawnee Mission
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West
Quality Inn Merriam
Quality Inn Merriam
#3 of 5 in Merriam
Hampton Inn & Suites Kansas City Country Club Plaza
Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City/Overland Park
Comfort Inn+ Suites - Overland Park

Been to Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam? Share your experiences!