“Awful experience!” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 5 Hotels in Merriam
Omaha, Nebraska
“Awful experience!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

We booked our reservation online through the Extended Stay America website. Upon arrival, we were told that they didn't have a reservation. At that time I pulled up the confirmation email on my phone. The front desk lady was very very rude and continued to tell us they didn't have room and we would have to go to the other location (several miles out of our way). We asked for the managers name and that's when she started to cooperate a bit and at least and get us a room. We got to the room ready to relax after a day of traveling and found a very small room with barely enough room to walk around, dirty surfaces, spider webs in corners, dirty bathtub, and a very disappointing "fully equipped" kitchen--seriously? On top of awful service, we had an awful hotel room. We have stayed in many many hotel rooms and this ranks as one of the worst experiences yet. Don't book a reservation here with high expectations! You will surely be disappointed! We won't be returning to this location. Ever.

Room Tip: Don't choose one of these.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear Mariah,

Your review for our hotel was recently brought to my attention. I would like to apologize for the difficulty you had with your reservation. The treatment you described receiving from our Guest Service representative is unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your check-in experience. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have addressed the staff to ensure your experience is not repeated. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am also disappointed to hear that you found the cleanliness of your room to be below our standards and that you were not satisfied with our kitchen. I met with the staff and we are committed to cleaning and maintaining our rooms to ensure our room conditions meet the expectations of our guests. Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. Please feel free to contact me directly at mer@extendedstay.com with any additional comments or questions. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels in the future.

David

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

The thermostat for the room was broken and the heater would not turn off. We were told we were stupid and this was just because the weather was cold. They did FINALLY agree to look at it and the thermostat WAS broken. No apology nor offer of a discount. Bathroom was moldy and the "fully equipped" kitchen was a joke. Don't bother with this one!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Denver_Grandma1960
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I am so sorry that our staff did not attend to your needs properly or in a professional manner. As this hotel's manager, I can assure you that I have spoken with the entire team about your situation and am coaching them on how to provide better customer service moving forward. As well, please know, our maintenance staff has repaired the heater in your room.

Thanks to your feedback, we can continue to work on providing an exceptional stay for all of our guests. Please contact me, at mer@extendedstay.com, if you would like to discuss this further. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.

Travelers are raving about these Merriam hotels

Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2014

My fiancé arranged for me and our children to come and visit Kansas for a few days and start looking for our new home. After arriving at approximately 8:30 am on 12/26 I asked the front desk clerk if my room was ready for occupancy, (knowing that my fiancé had previously spoken with them and had them place it in the special instructions when the reservations had been made) I was told yes, and was soon given a key to a first level room that faced the grassy hill the behind the hotel. I immediately notice an extremely foul order upon entering the room and also found that the drapes would not close at all. I made the front desk aware of it right away. The hotel manager came in with a bottle of fabreze which he handed to me and tried to yank the drapes close. He then told me that now that he had gotten them closed they would have to stay that way. Later on that evening once my fiancé got off of work with the intentions of helping us settle in; we soon notice that the front door would not close making it possible for anyone using an ounce of force to be able to walk in on me and my two little girls. My finance spoke with management insisting that they give us a more secure room to which they did. After settling in I notice that my 7 month old daughters shoe was missing. Thinking that possibly it was mistakenly left in the other room I went directly to see if the room had been cleaned and the shoe was found. When I asked, the staff member went directly to the back and stayed there for a long time. The manger came out after 10 or more minutes and asked was it only one shoe. When I responded yes, I was then told that they probably had thrown it in the trash. After 20 minutes of searching they finally found my child's small full, leather, Adidas left shoe thrown in their trash.

I can't believe after placing me in a room that was not secureatsoever they would carelessly throw my baby's shoe away, knowing we were still on the property. I have never been so badly treated in my entire life by such a facility.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Theresa B
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Theresa - I appreciate you bringing your experience to our attention. I am extremely sorry that the first you were given had a slight odor and the door would not lock properly, but glad we were able to provide you with another room. Still, I am disheartened that a personal item which was left behind in the move took so long to locate. Please know, I have spoken to the staff about this incident and am working with them to ensure that all misplaced items be properly cataloged in our lost and found box moving forward.

The staff and I appreciate your comments, as it will only help us to improve. Please feel free to contact me directly, at mer@extendedstay.com, with any additional comments or questions. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
Kansas City, Kansas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

There were so many problems with my room this box is not long enough to list. If using Priceline gets this kind of quality? I will stop using it. If nearly the ENTIRE place is vacant, WHY put me at the far back end, furthest from the laundry facilities and WHY put the ONLY other guests in the unit on each side of me so I could stay awake for a week??? Why did I have to walk my "dirty" towels allllll the way to the office before I could get clean ones? Am I in kindergarden again? And WHY was I charged $36 more than my reservation was? And the internet connection was horrible!!! Yes, they offered high speed internet for a MERE $3/.99 a day??? But should I have to pay for that if its advertised as an amendment I should expect to work? I was terribly disappointed in this stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank JustHonestHere
Thank you for your recent review of our hotel. I am sorry to hear that our staff was unable to meet your needs during your stay with us. I have met with our staff regarding your feedback to ensure that we can offer better customer service moving forward. As well, I apologize that the speed of the Wi-Fi and the cleanliness of the carpets did not meet your satisfaction. Your comments will be very helpful as we continuously work toward improving our guest experience.

I really appreciate you bringing these concerns to our attention. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience the next time you’re in town.
Jefferson City, Missouri
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2013

We came to the hotel due to a business trip. We arrived and had prepared for bed and to our surprise no sheets were on the bed. We called the front desk and advised them of the problem. We were advised that they would bring some up to us. When the lady arrived she tossed them at my husband and left. So we made our bed......then about an hour later after we had fallen asleep the front desk called to check if we had received our sheets. No "were sorry" when advised that we even had to make our own bed. Then in the morning we got up to make coffee with in-room coffee maker it didn't work very well and then there was no coffee cups to use. The shower had purple stains in it and the kitchen and bathroom floor was sticky. BEWARE do not stay at this place!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Lisa65109
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Lisa - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. The situation you described regarding the sheets and the coffee maker is truly regrettable. We are very sorry for your experience. I met with the staff, and we will always inspect rooms to ensure that rooms are in proper working order so this is not repeated.

I really appreciate you bringing this to our attention. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at mer2@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Fairfield, Idaho
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

We checked in at almost closing time and the clerk was still very pleasant, took time to answer our tourist questions and made sure everything was set, never once looking at a clock or mentioning the time. Follow up the next day for a hair dryer (not supplied in the room) the next clerk was just as nice and offered more help. Don't expect much for the room quality at this price, but everything was clean. Lauren was especially helpful and nice to work with.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
John - Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I am pleased to read your remarks about our staff, especially Lauren. As well, I am glad that you liked your clean room. We hope we have the opportunity to see you again in the future.
Evansville
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed at this property for one evening on our way to Denver CO. The front desk associate was very friendly and answered any questions we had. Our room was updated with fresh paint, and linens and made for a very comfortable nights stay. Both the bathroom and kitchen were very clean. My only minimal complaint would be that their were not any drinking glasses in the room. We found an empty dish rack located under the sink, but no glasses to be found in the cabinets anywhere. Besides that one minor glitch the I would definitely suggest staying at this property again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
It is so rewarding to read that you had a wonderful stay with us on your way to Denver, CO. Thank you for your comments. We appreciate you letting us know that you were not able to find any tumblers in your room. We are sorry for this issue, but are happy to read that you found the room to be well appointed and very clean. Also, I am pleased to read that you found our staff to be courteous.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Merriam
Drury Inn Kansas City Shawnee Mission
Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam
Quality Inn Merriam
Quality Inn Merriam
#3 of 5 in Merriam
Super 8 Merriam Shawnee
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at Shawnee Mission
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites I-35 at...
#31 of 37 in Overland Park
Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Lenexa - 87th St.

Been to Extended Stay America - Kansas City - Shawnee Mission? Share your experiences!