“Exceeded expectations”

Hampton Inn Manhattan
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Manhattan
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We stayed here while on a college tour of Kansas State University for our son. I chose this hotel because of proximity to college and online reviews of the hotel. Good value overall: Fresh cookies at the front desk upon check-in, the rooms were immaculate, and they served an excellent breakfast included in price of room. Much more variety than I expected. The beds were comfortable, and each bed had a note: "sheet and duvet cover washed for your cleanliness" which I appreciated, because I always wonder if they wash those. The front desk staff were friendly too. If my son goes to K-State, I would stay here again.

Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Reviewed October 23, 2013

My husband & I are big fans of Hampton Inns. They are a safe & very comfortable hotel & often go beyond our expectations & needs. We are Hilton Honors members, so my husband always stays at Hampton Inns when traveling on business. We recently stayed at four Hampton Inns while on vacation in Maine & Massachusetts earlier this month. These Hampton Inns provided excellent customer service & hospitality. The staff at these New England Hamptons were continually checking with us to make sure we were comfortable & everything was okay. Last week I had to travel to Manhattan, KS for a family funeral. Without a doubt, I chose to stay in this Manhattan Hampton Inn without even looking elsewhere for lodging. I had hoped to check in to my room a little earlier than the 4pm check in time, since I wanted to change clothes for the funeral & get an assigned room. I would be returning early evening. Also, I had been driving for about 3 hours prior to arriving at this Hampton. When I arrived at the Hampton Inn, the day time desk clerk said there were no rooms available. I explained to her that I needed to change clothes to attend this family funeral later in the day. She said they expected a full house that evening & I really wasn't supposed to check in until 4pm, anyway. I don't understand why expecting a full house that evening would mean there would be no rooms available at 1pm? The desk clerk seemed very insensitive to my needs. Was not the great customer service you would expect to see at a Hampton Inn. (Also, I read on another Hampton review in another city that when a guest told the desk clerk they were attending a funeral, they were given a special funeral rate!) I commented to the desk clerk I really needed a place to change clothes & she then said I could dress in the lobby restroom. So I drug my heavy luggage case in to the lobby restroom to change for the funeral. I noticed the next morning that the housekeeping staff were busy cleaning rooms on my floor at 8am. I'm having great difficulty understanding why there would be no clean rooms available by 1pm? Also, there were no fresh cookies in the lobby like at other Hamptons. The fruit in the lobby did not look fresh or appetizing. The breakfast attendant was friendly, much nicer than desk help. The breakfast was average, not anything to write home about, like some Hampton breakfasts have been. The hotel was clean & I found the guests to be friendlier than the staff. This is an average Hampton Inn, at best. If I am needing to stay over in the Manhattan area again, I will pass on this Hampton & consider staying at some of the higher rated hotels on trip advisor. This hotel stay was not anything memorable & there definitely is room for improvement.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
manhattankshampton, General Manager at Hampton Inn Manhattan, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

I apologize we could not get you in when you arrived early morning we were sold out all week and check-out is not until 11 am so generally we can get rooms cleaned and maintenaced shortly after lunch. Our check-in time is at 4:00 pm our housekeepers do not arrive to start cleaning until 9 am. Our guestrooms have a schedule of maintenance to be completed during the day and the a housekeepers have a cleaning schedule to be completed daily weather the room is occupied or unused, so after all these items are completed for the day we can check our arriving guests in. I am sorry we do not have cookies available Friday-Sunday's.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

I almost always stay at Hampton Inn because you always know what you are getting; great beds, decent breakfast, great staff. This was not the case here. I had reserved three rooms as we were having a family reunion, the third party, my daughter with a baby, was coming the next day. When we got our first two rooms, we had connecting rooms, with the third room going to be close by. I asked the front desk if we could move my brother-in-law and have the connecting room the next day for convenience with the baby. Kim said she would see what she could do, but there was no guarantee. She was able to move my brother-in-law. The next morning my daughter got into town early after driving all night. I asked housekeeping if there had been anyone in the connecting room. She knocked on the door, no answer, she checked the room and said it was vacant and room ready. I asked Kim if we could check in early and even told her it was room ready. She said she couldn't do that until it was "cleared" by housekeeping and to come back after lunch. Needless to say, we didn't check in until almost 2, which I know is still considered early. The entire stay was like this. The breakfast was not friendly and spent most of her time talking to the front desk. She said I had to hold the little one since it was a public area and she didn't have shoes on. I asked if we could have a late check out since I was an Honors member, again, Kim said the hotel was full and she couldn't guarantee anything. I checked out by 11. I must say though, housekeeping was VERY nice.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

apologize we could not get you in as early as you would have preferred. The housekeepers that do not have that room assigned to them do not always know what is scheduled to be completed in that room or why that room may have not been occupied at that time in the morning. Our check-in time is at 4:00 pm our housekeepers do not arrive to start cleaning until 9 am. Our guestrooms have a schedule of maintenance to be completed during the day and the a housekeepers have a cleaning schedule to be completed daily weather the room is occupied or unused, so after all these items are completed for the day we can check our arriving guests in. Again, I apologize we can could not check you in to your second room at 9:00 am.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

The Hampton is up-to-date, CLEAN and has a very friendly staff. The beds are very comfortable. The breakfast area is great! The food and coffee offered was great! I can't wait to go back to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Reviewed October 18, 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I found this an excellent Hotel with exceptionally helpful staff with clean and comfy room, plenty choice of Breakfast every day and excellent location. I would highly recommend this Hotel to anyone who visits New York.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Just stayed here for a weekend with family while visiting friends. The hotel is very clean and the amenities are quite nice. The bed was a tad too firm/stiff for my taste, but the sheets were amazingly soft to the touch! The only thing that could have been improved would have been the customer service. Almost all of the front desk staff were short and unpersonable. They acted as if they were being inconvenienced, even saw one of them roll their eyes at another party. Luckily we didn't have any problems so we didn't have to deal with them other than check in.
But the pool was great and so was the fitness center and not too bad of a free breakfast. I love that coffee and tea are available in the lobby at all hours.
We will continue to stay at Hamptons and just booked a whirlpool suite for our anniversary!