“Pretty but not Clean”

Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Manhattan
Lawrence, Kansas
“Pretty but not Clean”
Reviewed April 25, 2014

I have stayed here a number of times and I continue to find the same flaws. Bathroom isn't clean, no water bottle, water bottle part way drank, etc. It seems that they don't check if these rooms are clean before you are assigned to them. The last time I checked in I was assigned to a room that was being painted. They changed my room, but the one I was changed to had a tub that wouldn't drain, hairs in the tub, a dirty toilet etc. The upgrades and decor of this hotel are nice, but the cleanliest is far from acceptable.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan, responded to this review, May 5, 2014
We appreciate your review, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We apologize for the experience you recently had at our hotel. We have addressed these comments with our housekeeping team and the appropriate action as been taken to ensure our strict standards of cleanliness are upheld at all times. Thank you again for your review and take care.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed April 13, 2014

This facility appears to be a renovated Holidome - with a center court pool surrounded by three levels of rooms. The renovations produced a large and attractive looking facility. Much of the emphasis has been placed on large groups and small conventions - there are a lot of conversation spaces in the lobby and plenty of meeting rooms of all sizes.

We were given a room on the back of the building away from the pool with one queen bed. The HVAC was internal,quiet, and satisfactory. However the remodeled bathroom was small, provided very little counter space, and had a shower with leaking seals around the shower door. The bathroom space problem was made worse because there was also little counter space in the room itself, with the TV occupying the top of the dresser and no mirror available above the desk or other counter area. The entry to the room was very congested even though the room itself was large. We also did not like the bed as it had a pillow top mattress pad which was lumpy and hot to sleep on. The facility attracts ball teams and families with kids, and for them this may be a good choice. However the noise level in the pool area was frequently high and the noise could be easily heard in our room. Breakfast is not included in the price unless you purchase a package. The breakfast that is provided seems to be an afterthought- we found going to breakfast to be stressful. The staff was nice enough, but at various times we couldn't get waited on, found the buffet was out of the items we wanted, or couldn't find a clean table. The workout facility was good. I thought the tile around the pool deck was very slippery and a hazard. The overall location of the hotel was central and excellent. The facility provides free internet (as all should).

This hotel might be attractive to a small convention if attendees tend to bring their families, ball teams, and families looking for an inexpensive vacation weekend. Others would do well to look elsewhere as similar amenities with breakfast included are available for about the same price.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Rick S
Manhattan, Kansas
Reviewed March 17, 2014

When I arrived the floor looked as if it had not been vacuumed and the door leading to the pool area was still open. This had me concerned being a female traveling alone. Then to raise even bigger flags there is a sign on the door encouraging both deadbolts and the metal bar. That is concerning.
I then went to the restroom and the toilet seat was still up and there was hair all over the floor.
Then on the bed there were stains on the comforter, which made my sleeping hard as I couldn't stop thinking about the lack of attention to detail.

Staff was very friendly during my stay and the shuttle is very convenient!! Also- the sleep I did get, albeit little, was comfortable and soft. My room kept a very comfortable temperature.
If the cleanliness issues were addressed I might stay again.

• Stayed March 2014
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan, responded to this review, April 5, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. It’s unfortunate to learn of issues you encountered during your recent stay with us. This is absolutely unacceptable and will not be tolerated or evident in the future. Our housekeeping and maintenance teams have been alerted and the issues are being properly handled. We are happy to hear our convenient free shuttle and friendly associates were able to make your stay more enjoyable. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you in the future and provide you with the superior level of service Four Points by Sheraton prides itself on. Take care!
Leavenworth, Kansas
Reviewed February 9, 2014

This facility is a former 70's era Holi​dome. Sheraton has done an impressive job remodeling the property throughout, making this as close to a 4 star hotel as Manhattan, KS offers. I'm impressed with what Sheraton has done with this property. I was here for a convention a couple of years back under different ownership, when the facility was a bit more like an aging warehouse.

The rooms have been remodeled and feature quarry tile bathrooms, flat screen TVs, and most importantly some of the most comfortable mattress & pillows I've experienced on the road. Definitely an excellent night's sleep... other than too much light at night. My 2nd story room had a window that opened to an interior walkway. Unfortunately the curtains were designed as accents, one cannot close them to block hall light while sleeping. If you like sleeping in the dark, ask for one of the rooms that does not open to the interior.

The hotel seems well managed overall. We were treated courteously and professionally by every staff member. Anything we asked for was taken care of promptly. I feel we were treated as valued guests in every respect, which helped make our stay pleasant. Our convention-negotiated room rate was also quite reasonable. The meeting rooms worked well for us, and the facility design is conducive to attendees being able to network and move about easily in between meetings.

Management DOES need to focus on improving the menu for the convention food service department, which I would describe as inadequate and uninspiring, a disservice to their "captive" audience. Friday night's banquet buffet consisted of iceburg lettuce, 2 dressings, a crock of cherry tomatoes and croutons, roasted red potatoes, canned Sysco-quality corn, canned baked beans (really) and two bland meat choices. The breakfast "buffett" was four items: link sausage, scrambled eggs, thaw-and-serve pastries and fresh fruit... only one healthy menu item. Even adding oatmeal and real creamer for the coffee (not packet-cups) would have been an inexpensive improvement. Saturday evening's formal plated dinner appeared to be flank steak or beef brisket, sliced, with mashed potatoes, both smothered (maybe hiding the meat?) in beef gravy. At $40 per meal, one expects fresh, creative, healthy approaches to the food.

Aside from the food, this is a sharp looking facility is a good value, with modern, comfortable rooms, a courteous, professional staff and large, functional meeting rooms.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a picture window that opens to a lighted interior walkway; the curtains cannot be cl...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Kara C, Front Office Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan, responded to this review, February 12, 2014
We appreciate your well thought out take on our facility and performance. We take any criticism as an opportunity to evaluate ourselves through the eyes of our guests and use those marks to make improvements. The next step in our renovation is in food service. Our restaurant , bar & grill will undergo a change in March co-branding with Boulevard Brewing Company. The new menu will take the restaurant and our overall kitchen service in a new direction offering a variety of new selections to our guests. Thank you very much for taking the time let us know about your experience. Our grand opening for Boulevard Brewing Company will be March 11th, if you are in the area we would love for you to come.
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I spent two nights at this property having stayed at other Four Points properties I had a certain level of expectation.
Firstly I must commend the reception staff for being very friendly, it is always nice to receive a special welcome, this was appreciated.
The hotel has most facilities as expected and the rooms were furnished adequately.
The big issue I had was with cleanliness. I found at least 10 hairs on the floor and in the bathtub.
This is obvious lack of attention to detail and made me feel like the rest of the room was dirty and therefore made me uncomfortable.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
JenniferFritchen, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
We appreciate your comments about the reception staff for being very friendly, but apologize for the cleanliness issues you found in your room. Your comments have been reviewed with our Housekeeping Staff and will be corrected. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Travelers are raving about these Manhattan hotels

Mishawaka, Indiana
Reviewed January 21, 2014

This was my first trip to Manhattan and I was a bit skeptical of this hotel based on the reviews that I read. I travel a fair amount for my work and am a bit of a hotel snob. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised with this property. The room was very clean, nice bed, large screen TV and good shower. The exercise facility was also top notch with new well maintained equipment. I went down to the hotel bar and had a very good meal and the service was excellent. Overall I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to Manhattan. Give this place a try you will be pleased.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
JenniferFritchen, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Thank you for reviewing our property! We have worked very hard over the last year to renovate the facility and am pleased that you had a wonderful experience!
Wamego, Kansas
Reviewed December 25, 2013

We had stayed at a Four Points in Oklahoma City and it was great so we looked forward to Christmas here with a pool for kids to swim and a restaurant for Christmas dinner.
Overall the hotel is okay, but the building is old and that can't be hidden. The best parts of the stay was the bed/bedding in the rooms - very soft and comfortable. And the hotel restaurant had good food and pleasant service, especially considering they were having to work on a holiday. They were very attentive to my daughter's dietary requirements.
However the cleanliness of our room and the overall facility could use improvement. Interior carpeted stairs were visibly dirty. There were crumbs and old food under the coffee table and hide-a-bed. Old yellow pee on the toilet. Almost out of toilet paper when we arrived. And no soap or shampoo in the dispensers. With more attention to detail on housekeeping my review would improve.
The kids did enjoy playing in the pool and hit tub. The hotel sells pool passes to community members so several retired citizens were there for water fitness at the same time.
Unfortunately the building is old and has been for a long time - multiple buckets inside catching drips from snow melting on the roof can't be a good sign.

• Stayed December 2013
JenniferFritchen, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
Your comments regarding guestroom cleanliness have been noted. Your feedback was very helpful and our entire Housekeeping staff has seen these comments so we can address these inconsistancies.

The comment about multiple buckets catching drips from roof is related to a project we will remedy this Spring. After such extensive renovations throughout the hotel, this roof project will be the final touch to making our hotel renovations complete.

Thank you!