“Meh”

Ranked #11 of 16 Hotels in Manhattan
Olathe, Kansas
“Meh”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Was the hotel terrible? No, but it wasn't great, either. Especially at the game day rate of $200/night.

Prior to our arrival we didn't exactly start out on the right foot with the property. Our group reserved four rooms back in June and two days before arrival the person who made the arrangements received a call from hotel staff letting us know that we could not check in until after the game (9 p.m.) because we were going to be staying in the rooms previously occupied by the opposing team. That was a little annoying, especially at $200/night.

We checked in to the hotel late following the game and a night carousing Aggieville. Front desk staff was quick and efficient. The lobby was nice and modern, it looks as though it has somewhat recently been redone.

My husband and I wandered down the long hallway to our room. Upon entering we were greeted by a strong musty smell. We knew the hotel (along with every other hotel in Manhattan on game day) would be sold out, so we didn't even bother taking this concern to hotel staff. The room seemed to be clean. The bed was comfortable. My husband said his shower would not get warm the next morning.

Would I stay there again? Probably not as my first choice. Maybe if all the other hotels in Manhattan were booked.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
JenniferFritchen, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Thank you for reviewing the Four Points by Sheraton. We just completed a multi-million dollar renovation of our guestrooms and public spaces. I apologize that there was a musty smell in your room and that you had difficulty with hot water. We may have been able to remedy these problems with notification. Our call about late check-in was just to notify you that all rooms would not be ready by 3pm. Our Housekeeping staff did a great job and actually was finished for the day around 5pm.

I sincerely hope that you will try staying at our hotel again in the future. Our rates generally range from $109-$149, but due to the special event weekend in which you were traveling our rates were higher.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Kansas
Reviewed September 15, 2013

It's hard for me to write a fair review of this hotel, because it costs so much more than what it's worth.

The limited number of hotel rooms in the Little Apple means that they can be sold at a premium on Kansas State University football game weekends. I knew this going in, but the bill was still a shocker.

So, bear in mind, I would probably rate the hotel higher if I felt like I got what I paid for. (I don't think I did, but I get the laws of supply and demand! And the demand for hotels in Manhattan on K-State gameday is astronomical. I'll just say, I have stayed for half the cost in a similar room in Washington, D.C. and in New York City.)

The hotel is very clean. I was in this hotel once about 12 years ago. It was a Holidome then, and much of the interior of the hotel has been renovated in that time.

The front desk staff was very accommodating. We arrived at 2 a.m. after a long day tailgating, watching football and bar hopping in Aggieville. Some of our crew was a little tired and cranky, and the front desk staffer courteously sped us through check-in and directed us to our rooms.

The layout of the hotel room was very strange. It was very large, but the king-size bed was not positioned in the middle of the room. It was very close to the door. At the far end of the room, the couch was against the window facing the bed rather than the television. This wasn't a problem for us. It was just, well, strange. There is a mini-fridge, a microwave and a one cup coffee maker in the room. The cable package was limited, so if having a large TV line-up is important to you, you'll be disappointed.

The shower is a fairly good-sized walk-in. No tub or curtain, which my husband really liked.

The bed was super comfortable. The pillows were huge, but they are deceiving. They're so soft it's like sleeping on one cotton ball. (If you like soft pillows, you'll be in heaven, but I prefer a firmer head rest when I sleep, so...)

The shades on the window did an excellent job of keeping out the light so we were able to sleep in, which was nice. A warning, however: This is a dome-type hotel with a pool and recreation facilities in the center. Our room did not open out into the common area swimming pool. However, others in our traveling group had rooms facing the pool, and they said they were awakened by the sound of screaming children in the swimming pool shortly after 7:30 a.m.

Location: This hotel is on the outskirts of western Manhattan. You aren't in the middle of the action, here. There is a market and a convenience store and a bowling alley within walking distance (or fairly close). But the main action in Manhattan -- the university, Aggieville, and downtown (Poyntz Ave. area) are a few miles away.

I would be hard pressed to stay here again. Next time I stay in Manhattan, I will probably more carefully check my options. It may be worth it to book a room in say, Junction City, for less, or to pay a bit more to be closer to the action (at least that way I might feel as if I was getting something for the money by being able to walk to Aggieville or the game at least.)

Room Tip: Rooms outside of the "dome" are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Danedri
JenniferFritchen, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel and your experience. We appreciate your notice of our renovations and amenities. The upgrades we did to our property were done keeping the guests needs in mind. As a Four Points by Sheraton we strive to offer Honest, Uncomplicated Comfort to each person visiting our location.

I hope the room rates charged over this "special event" football weekend will NOT hinder you from trying us in the future. Our normal rates range from $99-$149. Please visit our Four Points website to see special offers and deals during non-peak periods of the year.

Thank you again for selecting the newly renovated Four Points by Sheraton!

Jennifer (JJ) Fritchen
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Was made to wait until check-in at 3 pm. A bit disappointing, but made the best of it. Told front desk staff that we have stayed there before and not impressed with OLD rooms. So, we were given a room on the second floor. Much better. Also, we got excellent hot breakfasts (that made up for the $134 per day room rate). Would come back again.

Room Tip: Ask for newer updated rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
JenniferFritchen, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. Due to sold out status, we were unable to turn over rooms prior to the standard 3pm check-in. Our hotel has extended the check-out time to 12pm so only a hand full of rooms were vacated early. As soon as rooms are available we check guests in.

We completed the renovations of our guestrooms at the end of August. There are times during the year when we include free breakfast in the room rate and I'm glad that you found this amenity excellent.
Kansas City
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We had a very disappointing night at the Four Points. It started when I called the day we arrived and asked to be upgraded to one of there king deluxe rooms. I also asked that our room not be right around the pool area. The attendant told me she would do both, but when we arrived at the hotel we discovered that we received neither the asked for upgrade or location we wanted. We were supposed to get a late check out benefit as a SPG member, and this was confirmed when we checked in, but they hotel staff did not extend this benefit. Finally, there was a major leak in the bathroom ceiling, which dripped on us for most of the stay and resulted in a huge pool of water in the bathroom. When notified, the staff did nothing but offer an explanation on why it was leaking and a nice apology. Frankly, our stay was very comical, and if we hadn't shelled out $115 dollars, we might have found it funny. FYI - the hotel is STILL under construction and I didn't like seeing construction materials in the public areas. Surprised with Starwood and Sheraton, from whom you can usually expect high quality. Not especially pleased either with their response when I called to inform Starwood of the quality of our stay. We'll head to the Hilton next time!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Alex B
JenniferFritchen, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Unfortunately our hotel was 97% full and we were unable to honor the specific room location or late check out as requested by the guest. I believe the ceiling leak was documenting by the front desk staff, as our maintenance department has repaired a room which matched this description. I apologize we did not meet your expectations during this trip. Our construction is coming to a close with all crew departing the hotel this week. I hope that this guest will try our hotel in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Manhattan hotels

Flower Mound, Texas
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Background: My kids (13 & 18) and I went on an 8 day road trip to spend some time together before my son leaves for college and heads out on his own adventures. We wanted to see some relatives and just enjoy getting out of TX. Spur of the moment and budget was very tight. We expected to do mainly camping but nightly rain and fatigue knocked that out. We covered about 3,000 miles going from Dallas to Manhattan, KS (nephew leaving for Afghanistan and his family); St. Louis, MO; Effingham, IL; Cincinnati, OH (wonderful 93 yr old aunt and more) and back to Dallas through KY,TN and AR between July 16 and July 25th. We spent 7 nights in 5 different hotels booked the day before through Expedia Unpublished or Priceline Express. We looked for cheap, clean, WiFi and 2 beds. You don't know the name upfront with those options but some research narrows it down a lot. Almost all worked out well. Mainly used Expedia since you can set the number of adults and kids which is key with 3+ like us. Priceline and others only guarantee for two per room so a single bed is possible and that wasn't workable. Full-size beds were bad enough with my snoring and his thrashing. Toward the end of the trip I did find a few hotels on Priceline Express offered "bed choice" and we stayed at one which was the best of the trip and nearly the cheapest.

Four Points in Manhattan was our first stop on the trip (16th). We were greeted and checked in quickly. Inside renovations seemed to be pretty complete. Saw some places where they're still working. Our room was large, clean and comfortable. Disappointed that they were two full-sized and not queens. Wasn't clear on their web-site when I made the reservation. In the Photos & Videos section, a "Double Queen CV Guest Room" is shown. They have no rooms with queens according to the front desk. No free breakfast but that was known and expected. Pricing high for what they do offer but that was also expected.

Location was great for what we needed. Room was clean and comfortable. There was a sitting chair with ottoman which was nice. Good Wifi. We didn't try the pool. My son tried out the fitness center and he said it was pretty good.

The renovation did not include keycard electronics on outside entries or rooms. Persnickity and relatively slow. Really frustrating at first. The outside entry was worst. Almost thought the keys were bad. Had to be patient and wait for response before turning handle.

Like someone else mentioned, somewhat of a mixed bag but overall the room was nice and comfortable. I wouldn't pay their regular rates but the online discounted rate was pretty good (about 40% off).

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
We appreciate the time you took to write a review. It pleases us to hear you enjoyed our hotel’s amenities and while we do not offer free breakfast we hope you enjoyed the complimentary wireless Internet, free parking and free in room bottled water and coffee. While we are in the final stages of a complete renovation, we have shared your comments with our maintenance team. Thank you again for your review and take care.
Bellingham, WA
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Rooms were okay and clean. But disappointed that no complimentary breakfast offered. (On site restaurant very pricey!) Fitness center and pool have limited hours. I can see the pool having limited hours but the fitness center should be open 24/7.

Room Tip: Base rate okay but don't use the phone or any other services. They "nickle and dime"...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
JenniferFritchen, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank you for sharing some information regarding your stay at our hotel. Unfortunately, breakfast was not included in your rate, BUT our restaurant offers a variety of breakfast items at an additional cost.

Our Fitness Room is available 24/7 with your room key. We keep it locked so that young children or non-hotel guests do not gain access.
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This is not a standard Four Points hotel. I was so disappointed in this hotel. Unfortunately this hotel is not ready for guest at this time. The rooms were dark and had a musty smell to them ( I had to buy Febreeze because I couldn't stand the smell). We had a pool side room so we had no natural light in our room, which made it feel like a cave. The bathroom was small. The amenities of the bathroom are attach to the wall. So no cute little bottles of shampoo or conditioner. The one plus of the whole room was the bedding was nice and comfortable. The pool is big but at the time of our visit the heater had been broken for a couple of weeks so the water was ice cold. They had music in the pool area but I finally had to call the front desk at 11:30 at night to ask when they were going to turn off the music (the pool closed at 10pm). The other issue was our keys stopped working in the door 4 times while we were there. We had to constantly return to the front desk to get them working again. So I would call the hotel directly to see if the reno is complete before I even think about staying here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
JenniferFritchen, General Manager at Four Points by Sheraton Manhattan, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Our pool heater went down around the 27th of July and the replacement unit has arrived and is being installed. I apologize that the atrium music was not turned off at 10pm per our policy. I will have this resolved. That you for the feedback on the other items so I can address them. Our guestroom renovations should be complete by August and we hope you will give us another try in the future.