“Great Location”

Parkwood Inn & Suites
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Manhattan
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Stayed here as part of a sorority parent weekend. Our rooms were clean and had a nice amount of room for doubles. The beds are Tempur-Pedic or some equivalent type. I liked them, my wife not so much. The Keurig coffee makers are great. The breakfast was ok---nothing to get too excited about, but they had scrambled eggs, sausage, pastries, toast, fruit and biscuits and gravy. Also hot sauce, which I really appreciated. Overall the hotel is pretty chill and nice. The second night there was a party in the room next to us---not a problem until 2:00 AM when an extremely vexed lady began scream-raging at someone followed by several people rapidly and loudly exiting into the hall. These individuals continued an animated discussion regarding their ultimate destinations for the evening in the hall (and just a note--if you talk loud enough for other guests to hear you, you might not want to broadcast to sleep deprived, vengeance seeking mobs where you'll be). After a quick call to the front desk, all quieted down and I went back to sleep. Great response from the front desk! Drunken guest behavior was pretty much par for the course in college town hotels near campus.
Bottom line for us is we will return. We've stayed in a few other hotels in Manhattan and have had very good experiences at all of them. However, the convenience of Parkwood's location coupled with our overall positive experience even when things didn't go right means we will be back again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank MrMoose581
Jacki-Parkwood, General Manager at Parkwood Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Thank you for staying with us. As your student continues their education at Kansas State University we hope that you will use the hotel for all your visiting needs. We enjoy having your group with us and hope that you will consider booking them again next year. Please let me know if there is anything that we can do for you.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We had interactions with two different front deskstaff and neither offered a greeting and weren't at all friendly. The hotel and room were clean, but there was an odor of cigarette smoke through out the hotel. They tried to mask the odor with a strong air freshener. None of the outlets in the bathroom worked. Disappointed.

• Stayed: February 2014

We are very sorry that you feel that you were treated poorly by any of the staff. Please accept my apologies. You were here when it was very cold and unfortunately we had a group here that were smokers. I remember myself thinking that some of the hallways smelled like smoke. When it is cold it comes in on their clothes more than any other times. Unfortunately I can not ask the smokers who go outside to not smoke at all so we tried to control it as best as possible by using Fabreeze in the hallways. I guarantee they were not smoking inside the hotel.

The next time you stay in a hotel please let the front desk staff know if something is not working in your room. We would have fixed it immediately or helped you move to another room. If not for your review we would not have known for awhile that it was not working and not have repaired it as soon as we did. Thank you for letting us know.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

My daughter and her friends loved this friendly hotel. The hotel has a Great shuttle service! Theyfirst shuttled the girls to the KSU football game. Later that night they shuttled the girls to and from Aggieville! No drinking and driving! The hotel also had a complimentary breakfast. The rooms were clea, New and nice. The staff was friendly. Young families can walk to the park across the street and to food establishments. We will stay again!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank b4osage

Thank you for your wonderful words and thinking that we are a new hotel. Please return and stay with us again. We have improved on our breakfast bar and added new items.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

This is the third time my family has stayed here and we absolutely love it. It is our favorite hotel in Manhattan. It is always clean, the staff is friendly and helpful, breakfast has a wide variety of selections including hot items and the beds are comfortable. There are also Keurig brewers with K-cup coffee and tea selections for guests to use in the room and other varieties for purchase at the front desk. If you have the opportunity to be in Manhattan, Kansas stay at the Parkwood Inn and Suites.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Lori W
Jacki-Parkwood, General Manager at Parkwood Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2014

Lori,

Thank you for all your kind comments! We always try to make you feel at home with us.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

This was the nicest place I have stayed in a very long time. VERY clean and quiet. Very personable staff. Great amenities but the toilet paper was yucky. Nice to have the small fridge and microwave. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your kind review. The staff tries very hard to make your stay feel like you are home. Please stay with us often.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I once wrote a wonderful review of this hotel, I really liked it and we stayed here every single time we visited Manhattan which was very frequently. However, we will now be taking our frequent business elsewhere due to (a lack of) recent friendly customer service.

Our last stay was about 3 weeks ago, the stay was normal however the breakfasts have become terrible over time (read below for that info). After staying here, we reviewed our credit card statement this week and found that we had been double-charged for our stay. Initially, I had made a reservation for just one night. The day before our reservation we decided to go early and stay an extra night. I called ahead and asked if they could add a night to our existing reservation which they said they gladly would, we thought all was fine until looking at the charges (we only got one receipt so we only knew of one charge, we didn't catch it until reviewing our credit card statement 3 weeks later.

Yesterday my husband sent an email asking them why we got double charged and how to rectify it. They sent him a terrible email stating they would not refund us for the erroneous charge. Today, I called to get it cleared it up. I spoke with Jackie (the general manager). Come to find out that they had made a duplicate reservation for us last month and since the other reservation was a "no show", we got charged even though we were there under a separate reservation (very confusing), I don't know if the desk clerk who took my call to get an extra night tagged on understood what I asked even though I triple checked it with a reservation confirmation number. After discussing it, much of which I kept getting interrupted and cut off by Jackie arguing with me in a very indignant & hostile tone, she finally agreed to refund us the money. Then she hung up on me. I called back to ask if I could talk with someone above her, only to find that she's the top dog there. I told her how I was disappointed about how she handled our situation and her tone of voice & hanging up on me with our phone call. She apologized but her tone was still the same so whatever. Because of this situation and the way it was handled, we will never give them our business again, another business will get our hundreds of dollars each month.

As for breakfasts now: the leftover eggs, sausage, & gravy were burnt so badly that they were inedible, the toaster doesn't work properly for basic toast/bagels & even the coffee has decreased dramatically in quality. I opted to spend more money elsewhere to get a normal breakfast.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Holly B
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Traveling with my husband on a business trip, we checked into Parkwood on Monday evening and will check out Friday morning. Today is Thursday. Our room was spotless, including the bathroom. The towels, sheets, and blankets are high quality and the bathroom well-supplied (thanks for the shower cap and sewing kit). The fridge is spacious, the microwave acceptable, the room spacious. The beds are more comfortable than mine at home, other than the added warmth of the tempurpedic material which is easily compensated for by adding a blanket and lowering the room temperature. The guest laundry is a nice amenity, and Breakfast has been better than adequate with a nice variety each day.
Unfortunately, on Tuesday and Wednesday the hash browns were cold, and my husband kindly pointed out to the staff that perhaps the warmers were not working properly. This morning the hash browns had been moved to a different location in the warmer, which clearly demonstrated the willingness of the staff to fix the problem. The room staff have also been friendly, helpful, and fast! Tuesday, they came around replacing the old style coffee pots with Keurigs! The staff were in and out of the room in a flash and were friendly while they worked.
My only real complaint has been a cigarette smoke smell that seems to be coming in when the doors are opened. As the rooms are non-smoking rooms (a necessity for my sensitive family), I first thought the previous occupant had smoked and that the room had been cleaned, but anytime we go into the hallway, we notice the odor becomes more pronounced. I have stayed at the hotel through the day while my husband is working and have noticed that it is stronger sometimes than others, but I have yet to see anyone smoking in the building or near the normal access doors. My son noticed a package of cigarettes at the front desk and ASSUMES that a worker is smoking near an employee door, but that is only an assumption. Making a no-smoking zone near entrances could possibly fix this problem. Other than this one problem (which has not interfered with our sleep) we have been extremely impressed by this hotel, especially the staff.

Room Tip: Smoke coming in from doors may not pose a problem on upper floors.