“Very nice. Especially for the price. Clean, great tempur-pedic style mattress beds.”

Parkwood Inn & Suites
Ranked #10 of 16 Hotels in Manhattan
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The bed was superb. Plenty of towels. Room was roomy! Lobby staff was helpful and friendly. We will be back if need to come to Manhattan again. Worth the price. If there were any issues or problems in the past, they have fixed them. We did not use it but the shuttle van service offered is a welcome and uncommon amenity for a smaller hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013
There are newer reviews for Parkwood Inn & Suites

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Based on the reviews here I booked two rooms for 04/22/13. We arrived after 7pm and our rooms were ready and waiting. The check in clerk was courteous but not welcoming. We were tired and hungry and took our bags to our room and then left again to get something to eat. We were back in about an hour and were ready to call it a night by 9pm. I found the room to be very clean, well appointed with standard hotel room amenities. Nice toiletries and soft towels in the bathroom and plenty of them. The bed was very comfortable and the room was quiet except for one thing. Apparently the person who booked the room above me slept even less than I did because everytime he/she walked across the floor I heard it and woke up. To be sure I am a very light sleeper, but I did find this annoying. It didn't sound like they were wearing heavy boots and the floors in my room were carpeted as I am sure the room above, so there seems to be some insulation lacking between the floors. The hotel did not seem very full, so I couldn't judge how noisy the adjacent rooms would be. Just my luck - a dozen hotel guests and an insomniac just happened to be right above me!

The breakfast was adequate and lots of choices. The fruit was fresh and appetizing; there was a large selection of organic teas but the "hot water" was not hot although there was a microwave available for reheating. The scrambled eggs, potatoes and sausages were just lukewarm although I was there shortly after 7 and breakfast opens at 6:30. I would worry about eating them an hour later if kept at that tepid temperature for an extended period. Again, their was a microwave for reheating, but I would think it might be a health concern not to address this issue which I believe another guest also mentioned.

I believe that based on this experience I would give this hotel another try in the future, based on value. I just might ask for a room on the top floor next time!

Room Tip: Ask for top floor due to floor to ceiling noise transference.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was nice, but they did not have a pool and the Internet ran very slow. When call checking on the prices, I was quoted the wrong price. I found that out only after my credit card was charge. They only had one elevator and it was slow. I will not be returning back.

• Stayed: April 2013
Jacki-Parkwood, General Manager at Parkwood Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

We are sorry that your stay with us was not enjoyable. Because we do not have a name we can not look back and see why the price was changed on your reservation. The only time that we change a price is if your have a membership discount (AARP or AAA) and do not present your card with valid expiration at check in. Honesty I do not know if this was the case with your reservation. We do not have a swimming pool and we don't advertise that we have one. So we apologize if you misread our website or any other website that implied that we had one. We try to do everything that we can to accommodate our guests. Our hope is that you will give us another try.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We made the decision to drive some distance off of the Interstate based on the TA reviews of this hotel; although that decision was not without some concern as there seemed to be some serious customer service problems for some guests with the hotel staff and manager. We decided that our stay would be very routine and not likely to make the hotel staff angry or unreasonable, and since there had been no complaints in the past six months maybe everyone had mellowed out.

We were traveling with six people in two vehicles and towing one utility trailer. I called twice to make sure there would be no problem parking the truck and utility trailer. I felt comfortable that we would have no difficulties. I also called twice to confirm the rate.

We arrived tired and frazzled to be greeted by an arrogant young woman who made it immediately clear that she was not going to permit us to park the truck and utility trailer, in spite of the fact that the hotel was not full and there was clearly available parking. She was not interested in considering any suggestions we offered, and clearly not available to engage in any form of creative problem-solving.

At this point we would have asked for a refund and gone back to a less desirable hotel, but based on previous reviews we knew there was no chance we would receive a refund, even if the hotel could not provide the service it had originally promised.

We had reached no reasonable conclusion and tempers were increasing as well as tired complaints from our two small grandchildren. I was composing this review in my head hoping to discourage any future readers from making the same mistake we had made in selecting this hotel with this exceptionally unpleasant staff member. At this point the manager Jacki walked into the hotel lobby.

She immediately offered the same solution we had originally suggested for parking our truck and trailer. The unit was parked and we were unloaded and on our way to our room. Jacki asked me if I was the person who had called early in the day to inquire about hotel rates. I told her that indeed I had made this call. She then noted that we were paying a rate $10 less than what she had quoted. I explained that a second call later in the day revealed that the hotel gave military members traveling under orders a $10 reduction. She seemed offended by that discovery and announced that one room could have the military rate, but not both.

I did not dispute this, but the unpleasant clerk insisted on completely starting the entire registration process all over again. I asked her if I could just give the keys to my daughter so she could get her very tired children on their way to bed. She refused to do this and seemed to work even more slowly than previously.

We eventually arrived in our rooms, which were clean and fairly spacious. They were not elegant, but certainly adequate for our needs. Everything was really very pristine. I am not sure if I have ever been in a bathroom that was as clean and organized. Everything gleamed and everything was lined up in crisp right angles.

The beds were a form of TemperPedic bed. All of the members of our family claimed they had the best night's rest of our entire trip. All of them sleep on TemperPedic mattresses at home. I did not like the bed for the same reason I do not like the one in my home. I find the mattress exceptionally warm, and I like to sleep a bit cool. Still one must acknowledge this special attempt to provide an excellent product for a great night's sleep.

In spite of the fact that our room was adequate, and our needs satisfied, my daughter remained very unset about the treatment we had received, and she ultimately returned to the lobby to have a discussion about customer service. As this is her career choice, and she is very good at what she does, she was furious about the events earlier in the evening.

I discouraged any further contact with Jacki because I was afraid of a temper that had been well described in previous reviews. Against my advice my daughter returned to the lobby and had a heart to heart discussion with Jacki. They seemed to have a meeting of the minds as they concluded the conversation with a warm embrace and sympatnhy for a unexpected death that Jacki had just experienced.

Breakfast the following morning was certainly above average. The standard offerings were well prepared. The do-it-yourself waffles are always a hit with our family. My only concern is that the breakfast area is very small, and it was crowded with what appeared to be a large sales team. These people had finished their breakfast and were conducting a meeting in the breakfast area leaving almost no place for us to sit. We had to break into three groups of two in order to find a place to eat. I am not sure how this could be fixed, but it would seem as if the hotel staff might discourage holding meetings in the tiny breakfast area.

In spite of my daughter's experience with Jacki I was still a bit unhappy on the following morning, and I felt powerless to express myself because of previous reviews about this lady. Then I picked up our room bills to check out, and discovered that our bills had been altered a second time to reflect the $10 discount for both rooms. It was an act of generosity that I sincerely appreciated.

I have thought about this review for a very long time because I spent so much of my time in this hotel feeling unhappy about the way we were treated. Still, when I apply the normal criteria for evaluating a hotel, there is nothing wrong with the Parkwood Inn & Suites with the exception of one unpleasant registration clerk. Our actions with Jacki had not been unpleasant.

During the course of our conversations with this lady she indicated that she managed the hotel almost from the moment the ground was broken on the hotel She clearly has a huge personal as well as professional stake in the success of her hotel. I think the seven day cancellation policy was probably a mistake, and I think it no longer exists with the possible exception of special events. Based on all of our interactions, she seems like a nice lady who is doing her very best to operate an independent hotel that provides good services at a reasonable rate.

Had it not been for all the negative reviews of this lady I am sure I would not have had such a negative reaction to the entire registration experience. I suspect that I saw what I expected to see, and that was not really a fair situation for me to prepare an evaluation.

Obviously the registration clerk that originally managed our check-in needs some additional training in customer service, but apart from this little glitch, nothing else in our experience warrants anything other than a very good review of this hotel.

I would certainly return again with the expectation that I would be welcomed and receive excellent service from Jacki, and I rather regret permitting myself to anticipate a poor experience with a woman I had never met based on previous reviews.

This is a very nice hotel, and no one should avoid it based on previous experiences with Jacki. She is doing the best job possible under occasional circumstances that are challenging. In an honest review, the Parkwood Inn & Suites is a good three to four star hotel. If you need lodging in Manhattan you should consider this hotel. You might also have one of the best night's sleep you have had in many days.

Room Tip: If you have any unusual questions speak directly to Jacki about them before arriving and make sure t...
3  Thank Busy-retired
Reviewed March 14, 2013

We decided to stay at this hotel based on the positive reviews we read and the price. The hotel does not have enough parking spaces and therefore, had to use the restaurant parking lot adjacent to the hotel. We arrived on a weekend which is probably the reason of lack of space. (We later found out also that it was also "Fake St. Patrick's Day", one of the biggest events in Aggieville, the downtown area near K-State.) The rooms are big and spacious. Our room faced the street towards the train tracks which you really don't hear (only time I heard it was late night and it wasn't even that noticeable). It really is a quiet neighborhood. The room had 2 queen beds which were comfortable. There is a mini-fridge, a microwave, coffeemaker, flat screen t.v with a DVD connected to it. There is a work desk and a portable lap desk you can use if you work in bed. The bathroom has complimentary toiletries with the usuals as well as a sewing kit, shoe shine cloth, shower cap and mouthwash. Bath towels are nice and plush.
Each morning, they serve a complimentary hot breakfast with each day being different. First day they had make it yourself waffles, scrambled eggs, bacon, tater tots, biscuits with gravy. Next day, they had breakfast burritos, tater tots, waffles. The last day they had sausages, scrambled eggs, tater tots. Along with this, every day they had cold cereal, instant oatmeal, bagels, muffins, toast, fruits like bananas and apples, juices, coffee, tea, milk. At night, if I wanted hot coffee or tea, I went to the breakfast area and grabbed some. When there was no hot water, the front desk went and got some and refilled the pots.
The hotel had a complimentary shuttle on the night of Fake St. Patty's and we used it to go to Aggieville (the downtown) to experience this crazy event that apparently has over 10,000 people come to it. All the streets are blocked around this area and it is the biggest event in Manhattan and many come from all over to experience this. We were glad that we took the shuttle so we didn't have to worry about parking.
The hotel does have a small workout room and right by it is the computer area which you can use. It does have free WiFi. There is no pool or jacuzzi. An indoor jacuzzi would be nice especially those cold nights we experienced while we were there. Overall, this hotel was a great place to stay and made our visit to the area enjoyable. I recommend this place and would definitely stay here again. The front desk staff was great - Jessica, Nicki and Matt. Thank you!

Reviewed March 14, 2013

On a recent cross-country road trip, we got tired of paying $120 - $150 per night for crummy hotel rooms.

We were traveling across I70 and decided to try the Parkwood Inn in Manhattan because it receives good reviews and has better-than-average prices. We also need a pet-friendly hotel, since we were traveling w/ our small dog. We even drove out of our way a bit, just to try it because we haven't had much luck w/ good hotels along I70 in Kansas.

Needless to say, if you're driving across Kansas, then this is a place you'll want to stay.

When we travel, we're just looking for a place to sleep & shower after a long day of driving. We want a hotel that's clean, affordable, quiet, and has a good location to the highway. Even though Manhattan is a bit out of the way, we would definitely stay here again. We got the king bed suite with a huge room and kitchen and it was less than $100 night. We even got free parking, free WiFi, and free breakfast.

Even though it's a bit out of the way, we will definitely stay here on our next road trip. It was a pleasure to get a nice, clean, spacious hotel room and not pay enormous prices.

Room Tip: Our spacious king suite w/ a kitchen was less than $100/night.
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I always preface my reviews by saying that I virtually live out of hotels. My job requires me to travel and I have been living in hotels of all different shapes, sizes, price ranges, etc. for the past 6 months. Let me start off by saying that the beds in this hotel are the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in. I'm pretty sure they're a knock-off Tempur-Pedic, but the beds and sheets were super high quality and comfortable. Maybe it's a personal preference thing, and I know not everyone loves memory foam, but all my co-workers also shared that they had the best night's sleep we've had in months while on the road.

The hotel still smells new and was very clean. This was a huge bonus. The colors utilized within the hotel also gave a very homey feel. The price point was fantastic and a free breakfast was nice. I didn't interact much with the staff other than to check in and pay, but my interactions were just fine, nothing that impressed me, but nothing to complain about either.

I would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a high quality hotel that won't break the bank.

What I refuse to understand is how places like the Days Inn stay in business when they're the same price as someone like the Parkwood Inn.

Parkwood Inn, keep your prices low and you'll keep customers coming back. Better to have a little smaller front end gross profit and have high volume sales than to just rip people off for a low quality stay.

Whoever is in charge here: keep it up. You've got a fantastic hotel and I would highly recommend it to anyone in the area.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business