“Really nice”
Review of The Patio Grille and Bar - CLOSED

The Patio Grille and Bar
Cuisines: Caribbean
Reviewed April 4, 2012

I was shocked to find healthful and authentic Cuban food in Manhattan. A really nice break from the norm, and a nice patio for the summer. Great prices and amble servings, too. Nice job.

1  Thank SPed

Reviewed March 13, 2012

I hate this place. I have never had such awful awful awful food. It tasted like I was chewing on a piece of carpet. They are definitely NOT serving anything remotely cajun or cuban or whatever it is they claim to the ethnic food they are serving. I was HUGELY disappointed. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR BUSINESS.

Reviewed February 20, 2012

Fantastic salads and sandwiches. Amazing flavor!

Reviewed December 23, 2011

I really enjoyed the Patio. A nice atmosphere and great food! If you haven't tried it yet; treat yourself!

Reviewed August 12, 2010

It's all too easy to miss the restaurants sitting in Village Plaza in favor of those downtown and in Aggieville, but this little strip of restaurants adjacent to Ray's Apple Market is essentially Manhattan's international restaurant district - the only place to get genuine Thai, Italian (no, I will *not* count the Olive Garden, and the reviews for Della Voce speak for themselves), and Cuban and Floribbean food too, at The Patio Grille and Bar. It has been open for less than a year so it is still fairly easy to get a table, but I am sure that soon it will be very busy considering that it has (in my opinion) one of the best kitchens in the Little Apple.

While you wait for your meal you can also get a great cocktail - The Patio is the only place in town that serves REAL sangria and REAL mojitos. I had a mojito from Coco Bolo's once and it was disgusting - sour mix and rum, no lime, no mint. I actually had to argue with the waitress about it because I was sure it was a mistake. Nope, that's how they make them. I guess they figure Kansans don't know any better. At The Patio, you're going to get a real Miami-style mojito - tall, cold, refreshing, made with fresh mint and lime and sugar and rum and a sparkle of seltzer. Unbelievably good! The sangria is also genuine, not like the horrible mix of what seems very much to be strawberry margarita mix and cheap red wine served at the aforementioned bar. Bleh. Go to The Patio instead, it's worth driving an extra 5-10 minutes to get there! They have nightly drink specials and outdoor seating.

But it's all about the dishes, really. The food is incredible. I've had several meals there at this point and have tried a bunch of dishes. I have tried the blue cheese burger (served with a generous pile of blue cheese on top, and full of fresh-grilled smoky flavor. The fries/chips are better than anything you'll get anywhere in town - crisp and golden with a soft, steamy interior. Mmm. I've also had the Caribbean chicken salad and a lunchtime special of grilled chicken with couscous and a fresh creamy cilantro dressing - in both cases the salad was packed with VERY fresh ingredients, chopped fine enough to make every bite deliciously full of all the salad's various flavors and textures, the dressings were light and fresh (I know I'm saying "fresh" a lot, but if you've lived here you know how rare it is to get fresh, flavorful, crisp salads at restaurants here). The chicken was very juicy and perfectly cooked both times. I really appreciated the presentation of the salads, too - they looked as good as they tasted, very appetizing! I also have to give a special mention to the meatloaf. This is not like any meatloaf you have ever had before. It is amazing. It's made with high-quality ground beef (not a lot of filler, just enough to bind it), well-seasoned, coated in an incredible spicy chorizo tomato sauce, wrapped in artisanal-quality thick cut bacon, baked, and served with decadent creamy smashed potatoes and steamed vegetables. I ordered this once and everyone else got a bite and swore that was what they were getting next time!

The desserts are outstanding. I have tried the dulce de leche cheesecake (the plate dusted lightly with cinnamon adds a perfect touch - a little bite to give some edge to the decadent sweetness of the caramel sauce and creamy cheesecake), the key lime pie (very high quality - this is the real deal, made with a lot of egg yolks and about a zillion little key limes, and I haven't had a slice of key lime pie this good since the time I made one myself and took an hour to juice all those bitty limes by hand, nice to be able to get it without spending a few hours to make it!), and the extraordinary Cuban-style flan served in a pool of light caramel sauce with a spoonful of amazing finely-grated sweetened toasted coconut to dip into as wanted. The flan is made by one of the owners (they are from Miami) from a family recipe. It often sells out over lunch, so you might want to go early to be sure to get a piece.

There is a nice lounge area with a comfy couch and stuffed armchairs that would be perfect for a relaxing, leisurely night out with friends - Thursday nights are martini nights (3.50 each!) and the lounge corner is perfect for intimate conversations and lots of drinks and appetizers.

Be sure to put The Patio on your must-eat-at destinations when you're in Manhattan. It's a treat to get real Miami-style cooking here, made from quality and with great attention to detail. I am looking forward to their new menu in the fall, they will be adding even more Cuban dishes according to our server. Can't wait to go back again.

Oh - the prices are also VERY reasonable. You're going to get a meal on a par quality-wise with the fine dining establishments in town in a more relaxed setting for a much lower price point. Can't beat that.

1  Thank arcanamundi