“Not a Quality Stay”

Quality Inn & Suites
Ranked #13 of 16 Hotels in Manhattan
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We stayed July 13-17th , the location for us was ideal. We arrived during a heat wave which made the entire town feel like a furnace, upon check in we were surprised the air conditioning was not turned on in the lobby, hallways or any of the general public areas of the hotel and it was hot, coupled with the overwhelming smell of clorine from the pool made it hard to breath. The check in area, seating/public computer area, and breakfast area are clean & well tended. We selected this hotel also based on the fact that it had a jacuzzi ( & pool ) after a long drive from Colorado a good soak is needed but was told upon check in that the jacuzzi was broken. Which was a bummer!
Once you round the bend to the elevators it's just a below average hotel, the halls are in need of a deep cleaning & upgrades. The elevator is slow & smells like burning rubber.
Inside the room we found the same type of conditions, hot, ( thankfully we were on the non-train track side )but the room was drab, smelled a bit , the carpets needed not only vaccumed but cleaned, the sofa had stains on the seats & arms, peeling wall paper, an ice bucket filled with water & a cup ( from not being changed ) It appears to be a high turn over, surface cleaned hotel, nothing serious just your run of the mill outdated hotel room.
We heard from other people on the elevators that the "train" side of the hotel actually bounces when the train goes by...it's close! And when we were at the pool you can feel it. I am thankful we weren't on that side, if I was I would have checked out.
The upside- the breakfast was very nice, the service attendant there was a very sweet woman who seemed to really care about her job & the diners. Which the other staff members ( front desk ) could take lessons from!

Room Tip: As to be on the Non train side. Ask if the jacuzzi is working.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank justddz
Angie W, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Hi, Justddz
I,m Sorry for your resent stay with us . This is not the norm The A/C and The hottub went out at the same time, We are updating alot of stuff at the hotel. Thank you for complimenting the Breakfast host, she is the best we all love her.

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I agree with other reviews. this hotel is overpriced for an below average hotel. the pictures aren't representative of the room we had. it wasn't that is was dirty, it just needed to be maintained. I was stepping on pieces of grout on our bathroom floor, the shower head and spicket where sideways, the tub had a hole in it, the wallpaper was coming off. the a/c wouldn't turn off. the staff wasn't very helpful or friendly. I wouldn't stay here again or recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Debbie R
Angie W, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Hi Debbie
I'm so sorry for your recent stay with us . This really isn't the norm .
I have had a meeting with all the staff and we are going to improve on being more friendly and helpful. And Maintence is going to crack down and take care of the rooms.
Thank You For bringing this to my attention
Angie

Reviewed June 5, 2013

This hotel is way overpriced for its overall quality. The photos are nothing like the actual hotel. The fitness center was the size of a small bathroom with the treadmill almost on top of the elliptical, and I could feel the person next to me breathing on me. The "whirlpool" was just moving water, not heated in any way. The breakfast was ok at best. There was very little selection, and the bread and bagels were as hard as rocks, and the juice was watered down. The room amenities were old and have not been updated for many years. The bed was ok, but contained half-sized pillows instead of the traditional full-sized. The hotel provided a shelter, but I will not be booking this place again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Angie W, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Thank you very much for bringing these issues to our attention. We have used your review to make improvements in several areas, most importantly rooms and the breakfast area. Your review has shown us areas where we can do better and we will continue to work hard for our customers and ALWAYS use their feedback to ensure the guest experience at the Quality Inn & Suites is the best it can be.

Reviewed May 22, 2013

First, even though i had a copy of my confirmation, they would not honor the price i was given when i booked the room and charged me about $50 more. It says on thier website and on thier brochures that the rooms have a fridge and microwave. They don't. When I asked about it i was told that some rooms do but you have to request it when you make your reservation so i was out of luck. We get to our room which is horribly hot because they don't have the air conditioner turned on. Once we turn it on we get a HORRIBLE grinding noise. We tried all the settings and nothing worked. We complained and they were not happy but when i told them there was no way we could sleep in that room they gave us a different room. This room must have recently had a water issue because it smelled like mold, and the carpet was always damp. The hotel sits about 15 feet from the train tracks, and a train comes by about every 2 hours. It really wasn't to bad if you didn't mind the vibration. I never heard a train whistle. What was good? The bathroom was clean and the shower was good. The breakfast was decent. That's about it. This is not a hotel i will stay at again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Angie W, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Thank you very much for bringing these issues to our attention. We have used your review to make improvements in several areas, most importantly Maintenance . Your review has shown us areas where we can do better and we will continue to work hard for our customers and ALWAYS use their feedback to ensure the guest experience at the Quality Inn & Suites is the best it can be.

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I think the furniture was left over from when I went to college here. Room and facility was clean so thy have that going for them. My only complaint is we where denied a 1 hour late check out. Room was $75. 00 but I feel it should of been in the $60.00 range. Before anyone thinks I'm being cheap, I have no problem dropping $100.00–$150.00 for a room if the value is there.

Room Tip: 300 yards to the south west may be a better choice
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Angie W, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Great news! We are making many improvements to our rooms, common areas and staff. We would appreciate a chance for you to come visit us once the changes have been made and hope to replace your past opinion of the Quality Inn & Suites. We look forward to winning back your business.

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We were winging it on where to stay. I get frequent flier miles at Choice hotels so we want here. Other reviews made me cautious but the staff was friendly. The place was clean. It was your typical hotel room. My only complaint was that the bathroom door practically touches the toilet when the door is open. It is minor but it is a pet peeve of mine.

The queen bed rooms are on the side of the tracks but that didn't bother us. There is no fridge but they have a microwave and coffee pot.

The price was affordable considering it's a college twown. It is not near the 'action' but it is across the street from the mall. Suited our purposes which was a clean place to stay and catch up with an old friend.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank rubyslipperlady
GMQualityInn1, General Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2013

Thank You for your review. We do hope you come back and stay with us.

Reviewed February 8, 2013

I recently stayed in Manhattan and was astounded at how much it cost to stay at this Quality Inn. I had stayed at Quality Inn's in Monterey, CA and Ormond Beach, FL for less than $50.00 a night. But to stay in Manhattan, Ks was over $85.00 a night! I am a true advocate for Quality Inn as it is one of my favorite hotels, but this was ridiculous! There is no reason why it should be so expensive to stay at a hotel in Manhattan. I even stayed in the Florida Keys for only about $5.00 more than it cost me to stay in Manhattan, KS.
Not only was it so over-priced, but I had to change rooms because the T.V. quit working. There is nothing more frustrating than staying in a hotel and having to change rooms because something is wrong with the room. The desk clerk did upgrade me to a better room (really appreciated that!) but the new room's heater unit needed a new belt because it screeched so bad that I ended up just turning it off. I didn't want to move again, so I just put up with it. The cold water faucet on the tub also leaked. I gave the desk clerk a list of things that were wrong with the room when I checked out. I did tell her that I wasn't complaining about what needed fixed because I do hold the belief that if the hotel isn't made aware of problems, they can't fix them, but when you pay almost $100 per night, you expect there shouldn't be problems with the room.
Plus, both rooms were not the cleanest. This hotel is not the quality that Quality Inn is known for and it definitely isn't a quality price. My recommendation is to stay at Simmer Motel in Wamego. Wamego is just 15 miles east of Manhattan, and the Simmer Motel is much more affordable (half the price) plus the owners are super friendly!

Room Tip: if you have to stay here, request a room on the upper floors. When I was moved to a different room...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
GMQualityInn1, Manager at Quality Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2013

Thank you very much for your review. I am happy to report that your experience with us is not the norm and we would like to have you stay with us again so we can prove it to you. Thank you for making us aware of the issues you had as all customer input, good or bad, helps us improve our property.