“Not up to standards”

Cuisines: American, Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Reviewed June 12, 2012

this was absolutely on of the worst Mexican resturaunts I have ever eaten at. The food was not up to standard for a taco bell.. I will never eat here again..

Reviewed March 24, 2012

Very informal family restaurant tex-mex that is hard to beat. This is NOT one of the chain "Mexican" places with tons o' cheese food, manufactured tortillas and "free" chips from a bag and salsa from a can. Try the guacamole for an authentic sauce or with the home made chips.

Reviewed February 5, 2012

they started in ogden in 1962 leo silva started the restaurant ,he and his wife use to make everything from scratch , it don;t taste the same ,the prices are a little high for the food, at most mexican restaurants the bring you chips& dip at hillside you have to pay for them

Reviewed December 23, 2011

I came back to the Cafe after a long time of not going; just out of my way. The Cafe was not crowded at all. The service was soooo slow; the waiter was not accomodating at all; the food was below average. For the money it was a huge disappointment!! I see no reason to go back

Reviewed October 2, 2011

I had overheard some people at work (who are locals...having been born and raised here in this area)...talking about how good the food was at this place at work the other day. My husband and I have traveled all over, lived in quite a few different places, and are lovers of Mexican food so we have definitely tried our fair share of it. I decided that since it was his birthday and all the other Mexican places we have tried since moving to Manhattan didn't cut it, we would try this place that was supposed to be "Authentic" Mexican food. I knew it was kind of a dive place as I had driven by it many times, but often those places make some of the best food. NOT this place !!! We both ordered Fish Tacos...they were sooo greasy and tased like old deep-fryer oil, with some sad droopy lettuce on some tiny pieces of grocery store bought Tilapia and a side of some orange colored sauce that tasted like rancid sour cream with taco seasoning in it. It was definitely NOT Authentic and definitely NOT Good !! Then my husband asked for some chips and salsa...which by the way...Every Mexican place I have ever eaten at...including in the U.S. and Mexico...all bring you FREE chips and Home-made, Fresh Salsa !! as soon as you sit down. They brought out some brown, flavorless "salsa" and some chips that they had thrown in the deep fryer...well as we were eating our chips and "salsa" I saw something on one of the chips that I thought was just a piece of burnt chip...so I took a chip and scraped at it and realized that this burnt thing had legs and wings !! It was a Deep-Fried FLY !!! Disgusting !! And that was after we had already eaten half the basket of chips. When the waitress came over and we told her/showed her what we found, she went and told the manager/owner? about it and came back to tell us that they could either replace the chips or not charge us for the chips and salsa. WHAT !! She then asked if we wanted anything else and as I was about to hurl crappy Mexican all over the place and my husbands birthday dinner was ruined, I told her no and went up to pay the manager/owner? She did apologize, but heck, proper restaraunt etiquette/management should have dictated that they comp our meal...NOT just "Oh, you found an insect in your food...Ooopsie... I'm sorry. Besides going to this place, the only other thing I am sorry about is that I paid $30 for this horrible meal, and that I did not make a big scene so that the other customers knew what they were eating too...even though there was only about 4-5 in the whole place !! Would not recommend this to anyone unless it was someone I did not like and I wanted them to get food poisoning or eat some form of deep fried insect or rodent...the health department should CLOSE this place. I am of Easten European descent and I make wa-a-a-y better Authentic Mexican food....and a fresh salsa that puts this place to shame !! I think store bought Mexican food.... even Taco Bell Mexican is better than this place !!!!

2  Thank Tina B