“Clean and Inexpensive” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Liberal Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Liberal
Liberal Inn
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Liberal
Kansas City, Missouri, United States
“Clean and Inexpensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

I travel to LIberal twice a month on business. I stay at the Liberal Inn hotel when I have to stay more than 2 nights in a row as the HIExpress can get expensive. The hotel is definitely outdated but clean. The restaurant The Brand Iron is definitely a very compelling reason to stay there, their food is simply tasty, warm and the service is courteous and fast. The service is excellent, the receptionists are very helpful and polite. The only downside of this place is the smell of smoke from adjacent rooms. Sometimes, the smoke smell comes out through the vents even in non-smoking rooms. This hotel is used mostly by male workers from around the area and you don't see many families staying there. You see lots of diesel trucks in the parking lot. However, I have never felt insecure about my surroundings and the safety of the place.

There was one incident in which a guest in a room next to mine came in with what appeared to be a prostitute, had loud sex for 20 minutes and left. I guess when a hotel is full of men, that will happen.

If you are a family or a woman traveling alone, look at either the Holiday Inn Express or Hampton Inn first. If none of those are available, then the Liberal Inn is not a bad option but keep in mind the disadvantages of this hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank grahame7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Santa Fe, New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

This is the second time we have stayed here. I didn't like it the first time but my hubby wanted to give it one more chance, as they take pets and have a pretty decent restaurant and good breakfast.
We changed rooms twice, both were yucky....smokey, mildew smells are everywhere. The carpet is gross and the whole motel reeks of some musty smell. The pillows are flat, like a smokey pancake.
We stuck it out for the night because we were tired and I didn't feel like finding another hotel.
Even our 9 year old boxer tried to run out the door after one sniff!!
We travel to Santa Fe, Nm a few times a year and Liberal is a good stopping place for us.
The Quailty inn, right down the road, looks nice and has a restaurant next door,,I do believe that is where we will stay the next time !!
Happy Trails !!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Glenwood Springs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

I'm a Hilton Dimond member who would usually stay down the street at the Hampton Inn but, someone recommend this hotel. Sure, it's dated but well done. Very clean, built like a bunker, concrete between floors, good AC, great staff, good shower pressure, court yard BBQ area.

The great restaurant and bar are wonderful and the food made the evening. I know some people will think it's not a brand new chain hotel but, it's true Liberal Kansas and their not trying to feed you powder eggs for breakfast. I had a great stay and will return.

Only cons were hallways can get noisy in the mornings, some noise through walls.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Magnum9797
morrilton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2012

the liberal inn is an older motel but very comfortable. the "weird hallways" are to protect from the extreme winds that Kansas experiences, we like the setup. staff is always helpful and friendly. a small courtyard out of the wind is nice. having a resturant and bar in the same building is great. thanks for all you do, kenny, jessica and all

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank julia p
South Sioux City, Nebraska
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

I stayed at this property twice during a recent trip. I was not real impressed when I discovered extension cord use for the lamps by the beds and a dime on the floor next to one of the beds. The hotel could use a little updating, especially on the interior hallways but not a bad place to stay. Fairly quiet even though it appears to be used by a lot of construction people. The hot tub perfect and the pool was perfect temp, but you could see they needed some concrete work around the edges. They also have a nice restaurant called the Branding Iron and a courtyard that is clean and comfortable. Even with the weird halls that need updated, I would stay at this hotel again. The staff at the hotel and the Branding Iron were all friendly and made it a nice stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Eric S
Fort Lewis, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

Driving between Minnesota and Texas, this was the halfway point where we stopped about midnight, needing sleep. I will admit that we looked for brands that are known for cleanliness and comfort first, but we were informed that most hotels/motels in this town were sold out due to hunting season. This was the first place we checked that wasn't sold out and we were tired, so we just stayed. It seemed weird, but I think it was originally a motel with outside doors, then they built an enclosing hallway around it. The hallways were filled with stale cigarette smoke smell, but the room was clean enough. Interesting decor with the deep red velvet furniture and carpet. The bed was hard, the pillows thin, but it was still better than sleeping in the car.

Breakfast was in the Branding Iron restaurant, but the free breakfast included with the room is a very limited menu. Still, scrambled eggs, toast, coffee and juice was pretty good. I would not stay here for more than just a stopover on your way through town though. I can't imagine being comfortable for an extended stay.

The staff was very nice though, and good, friendly service goes a long way towards making up for other lacks.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank djak12
Silicon Valley, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2011

This place is odd -- with weird interior hallways the likes of which I have never seen before. It has a depressed, dark feel, but the staff at the hotel and its Branding Iron Restaurant and Bar are friendly (if not entirely competent,) and we slept OK. I expect these interior walkways would be nice come the snow and wind, but they sure feel weird. They are also oddly loud.

We had a pretty good meal at the Branding Iron Restaurant about 9:30pm at night, and it was good they were open late, as we had just gotten in. I had to remind the poor lady to bring our water about 4 times, though; she seemed so tired. I was feeling guilty we were keeping her up. The staff at the bar in the restaurant seemed pretty down about the town they live in, and again it just felt depressing. Honestly, it felt good to leave this place the next morning.

Bottom line: OK hotel with a weird layout, good place to stay if you are arriving late because it probably has the last open restaurant in town, but a weird feel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple