“Pretty Nice for the Money”

Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Lenexa
Reviewed October 20, 2010

I stayed in this hotel after receiving an accepted bid from Priceline, and for $40 per night for 2 nights for 2 rooms, it was a good deal. Beds are nice, although the 2 queen room I stayed in was a little cramped, with it difficult to get around the desk and desk chair. The TV was cold, and positioned in such a way it was hard to see. But, the bathrooms were nice and had been remodeled, and access into the rooms from outside was easy. And, I felt safe moving about the hotel and the grounds.

The workout facility was sub-par. No weights; just a few treadmills, a couple of stationary bikes, and an ellyptical. If this is important to you, this is not the place to stay.

Many of the rooms have windows that don't open to the outside but rather surround and atrium. I didn't like this much...makes the property seem dated.

But the access is great to the interstates, shopping, and food, and all the best the Kansas City area has to offer.

But I am not sure I would feel the same way about this property if I had to pay full price.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
jkalbert, General Manager at Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2011

I want to thank you for your comments outlining your experience at the hotel. I appreciate you taking the time to let us know what you think of our hotel. I will share your comments with our staff and we will work on taking your suggestions and see what we can do. It's always helpful to have input from others. Again, thanks for your comments in making us a better place to stay.

Reviewed July 21, 2010

I stayed here July 18 & 19 for a conference. After reading reviews I almost stayed somewhere else, but the conference was being held on site and I went ahead and booked a room. My room was actually really nice. The inside of the facility is smoke free so the room did not smell like smoke - which is great! The common area however, smelled like a nursing home facility. I think it is because it housed the restaurant on one side of the desk and the indoor pool/spa on the other side. There were TONS of kids staying there for a soccer tournament. I stayed on the second floor in a room facing the parking lot. You have to go through two fire doors to get to the room once you get off the elevator (which I found strange), but it kept it nice and quiet. Some rooms open up to the common area as well - I'm glad I did not have one of those.

The bed was so comfortable, though I never could get the sleep number function to work. The bathrooms are TINY. I am not a large person and (since I was staying alone) I opted to close the bathroom door to get in the shower and reopen it after I was in. This allowed for more circulation as well since there was not a fan in the bathroom.

The room was very comfortable and suited my needs just fine. It had a 19 or 21" flat screen, a desk area, a club chair and ottoman & a king bed. The hotel also provides a drape clip (chip clip) to clip your drapes together and a mask and ear plugs, but I never even heard my neighbors so I didn't need them.

If you are uncertain, there are several motels in the area, but they are all like this one or lower - no nice ones on this road. There is a McDonalds at the corner and Sam's and Costco are both accessible. There is also an Applebees, Subway, and Chipolte across the street and Oak Park Mall is practically around the corner - I ate lunch both days at the mall - they have a wide variety of fast options (Try Cafe Fresh on the lower floor by women's Dillards) as well as several stand alone restaurant options.

Overall:
PROS: The room was nice, quiet, and comfortable. I felt safe on the premises, and it was close to a lot of things. The staff was friendly and helpful

CONS: The atrium smelled pretty strong, the meeting rooms ran hot or cold and they did not clean them up between sessions. The bathrooms are TINY and do not have a fan. The "fitness center" consisted of 3 treadmills (one didn't work), a stair stepper, a couple bikes, and an eliptical - but it was open 24/7 with your key.

If you want this area specifically - pick this hotel. If you don't mind going to another area, I'd suggest it - I know a GREAT hotel in Leawood that ran the same price, felt boutique, and was so chic and clean that I have a hard time with anything else living up to that expectation.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 13, 2010

We stayed at this hotel several times this summer while participating in baseball tournaments. The staff was super friendly and helpful. The pool and lounge area was great as the kids could swim and parents could visit without getting splashed. For the price, this was the best hotel we stayed at all season!

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed June 14, 2010

We arrived on a Thursday and stayed through Sunday. This hotel has been renovated since becoming a Crowne Plaza, but it still shows it's age. The key cards to the rooms were a constant problem throughout the weekend. We had two rooms and had to get new keys for both rooms 3 or 4 times througout our stay - I noticed numerous other people having problems getting in to their rooms as well. One of our rooms didn't have working AC - we were brought a fan and they did move us to a new room the next AM. The location is not bad - right off I-35 with easy access to I-435 and I-635. Breakfast is not included in the basic rate, so we did add on to our room. The rooms were clean and a nice size, the bathrooms however were very small. I would call our stay average. probably would choose a newer property on our next KC trip.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 9, 2010

There isn't really anything wrong with this hotel, I just didn't love it.

My room looked onto the indoor "courtyard", so there was no real windows bringing in natural light. The hallway on the other side seemed a little dated, but the room was nice. It was very clean and the beds very comfortable, however the bathroom was quite small. I slept good, but without a window outside, my wake times were a little messed up. The wireless internet is free and worked well without disconnecting. I also really liked the linen spray and eye mask I got as a Priority Club member, and I regret forgetting to bring it with me. These would be great items to stash in my suitcase for future hotel stays! The staff were also very nice.

The gym was a little disappointing. The hotel is part of a conference center, so I was expecting the gym to be a little nicer. The equipment was older and some treadmills weren't working. I recieved a voucher for breakfast with my stay and the food was okay, but I certainly wouldn't pay for it.

The hotel was also a little tough to navigate to, but once I got my bearings of the area it was okay. There are several hotel options around this price range in the area, so next time I will try somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed May 22, 2010

Crowne Plaza hotels appear to be bringing in a number of poorer quality properties from their competetion. This hotel had a broken sleep number bed (must have been a Radisson recently) and rooms lacked cleaning. Furnishings were also uncomfortable and I received no Platinum level acknowledgement or upgrade. I will never stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 29, 2010

Picked this hotel as they had suites with 2 queens with separate living area. Pretty much planned on gettting away for a night and let the little one swim, order some pizza in, watch some movies etc. The suite works as the little one can go to bed and not be disturbed by staying up and the living area allows you to not have to watch tv on a bed and have more space. Arrived mid afternoon, told sorry prior customer decided to stay an extra night, so you get 2 adjoining rooms with double beds. Not real happy with this set up as this was the reason we picked the hotel. I asked shouldn't I get first consideration for the room since I had it reserved? No. Asked shouldn't they have told prior customer, we are booked, you will need to change to different room? No. No apology or concern from desk staff. Stayed the night. Small Pool was extremely COLD. At one point I counted 35 kids in the small pool with not adult supervision. Soccor and baseball teams there, parents were away from the pool drinking. We decided it was not comfortable or safe to use the pool. Went out to eat and see a movie at a theater. Rooms on the atrium side are very noisey. FYI they do give you ear plugs. Sleep number beds are horrible, spend all that time trying to figure out right level of comfort. All had aches the next morning. Won't stay here for our regular trips to the area.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank archiemyboy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenexa
Hyatt Place Kansas City/Lenexa City Center
3 mi away
SpringHill Suites Kansas City Lenexa/City Center
WoodSpring Suites Kansas City Lenexa
Quality Inn & Suites Lenexa Kansas City
Hyatt Place Overland Park/Convention Center
La Quinta Inn Kansas City Lenexa

Been to Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park? Share your experiences!