“If you need the Internet skip this hotel!”

The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Lenexa
Reviewed July 25, 2013

First this hotel needs an upgrade badly ! You can tell this was an old propertly that was attempted to be upgraded to something better and it resulted in a very poorly designed place. One Side of hotel has no elevator. If your on the 2nd floor like I was... Dragging stuff up and down stairs gets old quick. Also this side of hotel is old looking, hot unairconditioned hallways, rooms, and TV's from the 80's. My tv was a 27 inch fuzzy boat anchor. The Internet is the worst i have ever experienced speed was equivalent to late90's dial up. Took me 15-20 min to log on. The lobby has high ceilings and has the feeling of just a covered yard, pool and spa make lobby humid and never cool, but hot. Service was ok and rooms were clean but old. Food was good for breakfast and at bar. Bar was the best part of hotel, was nicely airconditioned , good food and great friendly bar tenders. parking lt needs paved and just sad looking grounds, definitely dreary feeling when you arrive. Need a hotel near here stay at the Sheratan near convention center. But if you pay more than 99.00 per night here you got Bad deal.

Room Tip: Stay on newer side with elevator and flat screen TV's.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
jkalbert, General Manager at The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Dear Dante 1122:

Thank you for your recent comments concerning your stay at the Crowne Plaza Hotel. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to let us know of your experience. The majority of our hotel has been renovated over the past 4 years. This renovation included 180 guest rooms, Atrium, Restaurant, Jacuzzi, Lounge, and all of our meeting rooms. We still have some areas of the hotel that we need to complete which includes the remaining rooms and some of the exterior areas.

The internet was just recently upgraded to a standard much greater than the requirement of the IHG brands and I am not sure why you were not able to long on. We will meet with our provider and see what else we need to do.

I also appreciate you recognizing our staff in the food and beverage areas and the cleanliness of your room.

We aprpeciate your business and we know you have many choices to stay. Your comments are very helpful and I will share them with those involved. I do apologize for any inconveniece that we may have caused you and we do hope that you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in us.

Reviewed July 24, 2013

The hotel is not new but it is well maintained. There is an indoor pool adjacent to the lobby so the first floor has a chlorine smell. Some of the rooms open onto walkways overlooking the pool so they can be noisy. The rooms were clean and the employees were very helpful and responsive. The breakfast buffet was okay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Walking16:

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. We appreciate your comments. I have shared your comments to our staff and they were very appreciative in being recognized for being helpful and responsive to you and your family.

As far as the pool we have converted to a new product that we hope will minimize any chlorine odor that you may smell when you first enter the Atrium.

I have also counseled with the Food and Beverage Director and I know he has been working on the breakfast buffet. This is one of our focus areas that we are working closely with on new ideas and ways to enhance the looks as well as the quality.

Again, we appreciate your comments.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husbands job put us in this hotel for a week due to a work convention. Upon leaving the hotel we noticed when we got home that they charged us for the whole week, the money had come out of our personal account, my husbands job is supposed to be paying for the room. It has been a week now, my husband has been on the phone EVERY DAY for a week with different employees even managers about getting our money refunded. This has really put us in a bad position financially. They keep telling us its going to get fixed, and it still hasn't even been resolved. My husbands work has more than once faxed over the credit card information so that the room gets charged to the right account. We were very unhappy with the communication on getting this problem fixed, and it still hasn't even gotten fixed. the management here is horrible.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
jkalbert, General Manager at The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Dear Cassie B:

Thank you for taking the time to let me know of the issues that you encountered with our billing. I want to apologize for the inconveninece that we caused you. From my findings the supervisor that took the initial call failed to pass this on to the controller before she went on vacation. I do understand that Mr. B had called and spoke to our controller on the 17th and he has made the correction.

Again, please accept our apologies and I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in us.

Jerry Albert

Reviewed July 13, 2013

My wife and I and two kids have stayed here several times. We're happy with the rooms although the bathrooms are small and hard to share. The beds are doubles so a bit small for "touch-me-not" kids to share. Otherwise they're fine. The furniture and decorations are well done.

The breakfast buffet is very good and the staff is very friendly and attentive. We received some discount coupons which brought the cost down to about $10/person. The in house lounge is fine with friendly staff.

The indoor pool is ok and the hot tub is very large and nice. They have a nice exercise room with some tredmills and bikes. I found a nice neighborhood just south of the hotel for a 2 mi run.

The front desk staff is friendly ... we really just haven't had any problems so we keep coming back.

Room Tip: When booking the room you may have a choice to upgrade to a pool side room. Don't pay extra for...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
jkalbert, General Manager at The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear RoadN2Wheels:

Thank you for letting me know your comments from your stay at our hotel. I appreciate that you took the time to share with us how well you enjoyed the property. I will look forward to sharing your comments as well as others in our next Celebrate Service meeting this month. We hope on your next travels through Kansas City that you will stop by and join us again.

Regards,

Reviewed July 13, 2013

This terrible service, the breakfast was mediocre at best, Will not stay here ever ! Had ask for a couple extra pillows, after an hour of no one showing up, I called back down to the front desk. They said there was no pillows available. Will never stay at this property again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear robinhood1961:

Thank you very much for taking the time to let me know about your stay. I want to apologize for the bad service that you encountered. I can assure you that this is not an acceptable way that we do business here.

Our hotel features a Manager on Duty program that provides a manager that can answer and take care of any issues that any guest may experience. I regret that we weren't informed at the time, but we do hope that you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in us.

If I can be of further service please do not hesitate to contact me personally.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

(Letter to the hotel)

I have to write and let you know about our stay at The Crowne Plaza last night. Wow. Maybe the best hotel stay ever.

Upon arrival I was checked in by super-friendly Jill, even greeted with a “Happy Anniversary” from her. She also said we’d been upgraded with a complimentary breakfast the next morning (very good buffet, by the way, with outstanding service). Our room was wonderful, with a very comfortable Sleep Number king bed. We enjoyed a great, quiet, restful night.

From my initial contact with Jennifer by email to our checkout the next morning, everything about this hotel and staff screams customer care and professionalism. I will be telling everyone about our fabulous stay, and posting this exact letter as our review on the travel sites.

A big thank you for helping make this anniversary one of the best ever! My wife loved our stay, and that makes me a hero at home. 

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor - very quiet.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear clark h:

On behalf of the staff from the Crowne Plaza Hotel we want to congratulate you both on your Anniversary. We are very pleased that you chose our hotel for your celebration. Our staff works very hard on Customer Service and it is comments such as yours that truly lets them know that their hard work pays off. We wish you both many more years of happiness together!!

Sincerely

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I have just returned from a one-week competition held in downtown Kansas City. Our competition team from North Carolina of 150+ stayed at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Overland Park. The hotel was located what appeared to be approximately 15 miles out of the city. It was great! Travel into the city was direct and easy. The area around the hotel was safe and there was an ample variety of restaurants within easy walking distance.
The hotel was extremely comfortable. The rooms were large and very well maintained. The hotel staff was quite polite and helpful. I never saw anything but smiles and was always spoken to with bright greetings.
I only ate at the hotel restaurant one time--breakfast buffet. This was reasonably priced (only slightly more than I would have paid at a nearby Dennys) and the food selection was very wide.
The hotel bar was very nice. The atmosphere was quiet and seating was plentiful and spacious. Again, the employees in the bar were extremely pleasant.
SkillsUSA has only one remaining annual visit in Kansas City before it moves in June 2015 to Louisville, KY. I hope that the North Carolina contingent will stay at the Crowne Plaza--Overland Park again next year.
My compliments to the management and staff.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lewis A

Dear Lewis A:

I want to thank you for sharing with us your most recent visit at the Crowne Plaza Hotel Kansas City-Overland Park. I was excited to hear how our staff and services were top notch during your visit in Kansas City. We have always enjoyed working with Skills USA and our guests from North Carolina. We are looking forward to your return visit in 2014 and you will surely be missed in the coming years.

All the Best!!!

Jerry Albert, GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Lenexa
Hyatt Place Kansas City/Lenexa City Center
Quality Inn & Suites Lenexa Kansas City
La Quinta Inn Kansas City Lenexa
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Overland Park West
WoodSpring Suites Kansas City Lenexa
Hampton Inn & Suites Merriam

Been to The Clarion Hotel Kansas City - Overland Park? Share your experiences!