“The Habachi chef was great!”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Shogun Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #49 of 109 Restaurants in Lenexa
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Very good service and the steak and chicken cooked on the grill was great. Good atmosphere and the prices were not bad for the amount of food you receive. you will leave here full.

1  Thank bigred1972

Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

Great place for anyone wanting hibachi style food without dealing with an over crowded restaurant. Very tasty sushi and a staff that loves interacting with everyone. A hidden treasure!

Reviewed April 15, 2012

I went with my daughter having a buy one get one free dinner coupon. The food was tolerable at best- the steak was paper thin, so my medium turned out well done, the scallops were sliced up and horribly overcooked, and all the food had an oily slime on it. I presented my valid coupon after dinner and the management wouldn't accept it. She was an older cranky asian woman who threw the coupon at my 12 year old daughter, hitting her on the face. There were very few people in the place on a friday night, so one would think customer service would be decent! This was a horrible experience. Do not support this restaurant and nasty staff- there are too many deserving restauants out there!

2  Thank Lynn M
Reviewed February 9, 2012

When I lived in the Kansas City area, this was always my favorite go-to restaurant. Whether my friends and I were looking for some quality food or my family was trying to figure out dinner, Shogun was always a favorite choice. The staff is friendly and personable, the food is amazing, and the atmosphere is warm and inviting.

I moved to Washington, DC about two years ago but I stopped by to visit some friends and family this week and we all decided unanimously that my trip warranted a visit to Shogun's. As soon as I walked in, the owner(?) welcomed me and asked me how I'd been, since he hadn't seen me in a while. I was surprised and flattered that he remembered me.

The first two courses are very simple: A hot broth soup to warm you up and a basic salad with a tangy homemade ginger dressing unlike any you can find elsewhere. We also always get an order of "Shogun Rolls" to slit between us. They are basically salmon, fresh avocado, and cream cheese wrapped together wonton and then fried and served with their "yum yum" sauce, which is at first glance just a variation on the pink/white/orange sauce that every teppanyaki place serves, but which is actually the most ambrosial condiment ever invented.

For the actual main course, we had a friendly, entertaining chef. His routine wasn't original or particularly funny, but he had the charisma to pull it off. If you want to skip the routine with the smart alec comments that come with it, sit at a regular table instead of at the grill. My mom and I did that several times in the past when we just wanted a quiet lunch without a lot of socializing, and the food quality was still superb. The meal consists of heaping portions of fried rice (or white rice if you prefer), veggies, garlic noodles, and shrimp, as well as whatever entree choices you selected. I always choose the steak and salmon and it has never disappointed. The steak is always tender and the salmon is juicy and perfectly cooked. Last night, I also stole some scallops from my family's plates and I swear they just melted in my mouth. The portions are so huge that I've never come close to finishing everything. The leftovers (coated liberally in yum yum sauce) are at least a meal in themselves, sometimes two.

All in all, I highly recommend Shogun. If you're in the Overland Park area, definitely make a stop there.

1  Thank Beth C
Reviewed January 15, 2012

My husband and I love Shogun! It is perfect for date night, and we also love going with our families!
The restaurant is always clean, the employees are very nice and welcoming, and the food is outstanding! We have been to several other Japanese steakhouses, and they are all much more expensive, and not near as tasty! We have never had one complaint, and we have been going for over two years now. This is by far our favorite restaurant, and we highly recommend it to everyone we know! You will not be disappointed!