“Hands Down My Favorite Restaurant In The KC Area”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Shogun Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #51 of 108 Restaurants in Lenexa
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed February 9, 2012

When I lived in the Kansas City area, this was always my favorite go-to restaurant. Whether my friends and I were looking for some quality food or my family was trying to figure out dinner, Shogun was always a favorite choice. The staff is friendly and personable, the food is amazing, and the atmosphere is warm and inviting.

I moved to Washington, DC about two years ago but I stopped by to visit some friends and family this week and we all decided unanimously that my trip warranted a visit to Shogun's. As soon as I walked in, the owner(?) welcomed me and asked me how I'd been, since he hadn't seen me in a while. I was surprised and flattered that he remembered me.

The first two courses are very simple: A hot broth soup to warm you up and a basic salad with a tangy homemade ginger dressing unlike any you can find elsewhere. We also always get an order of "Shogun Rolls" to slit between us. They are basically salmon, fresh avocado, and cream cheese wrapped together wonton and then fried and served with their "yum yum" sauce, which is at first glance just a variation on the pink/white/orange sauce that every teppanyaki place serves, but which is actually the most ambrosial condiment ever invented.

For the actual main course, we had a friendly, entertaining chef. His routine wasn't original or particularly funny, but he had the charisma to pull it off. If you want to skip the routine with the smart alec comments that come with it, sit at a regular table instead of at the grill. My mom and I did that several times in the past when we just wanted a quiet lunch without a lot of socializing, and the food quality was still superb. The meal consists of heaping portions of fried rice (or white rice if you prefer), veggies, garlic noodles, and shrimp, as well as whatever entree choices you selected. I always choose the steak and salmon and it has never disappointed. The steak is always tender and the salmon is juicy and perfectly cooked. Last night, I also stole some scallops from my family's plates and I swear they just melted in my mouth. The portions are so huge that I've never come close to finishing everything. The leftovers (coated liberally in yum yum sauce) are at least a meal in themselves, sometimes two.

All in all, I highly recommend Shogun. If you're in the Overland Park area, definitely make a stop there.

1  Thank Beth C

Reviewed January 15, 2012

My husband and I love Shogun! It is perfect for date night, and we also love going with our families!
The restaurant is always clean, the employees are very nice and welcoming, and the food is outstanding! We have been to several other Japanese steakhouses, and they are all much more expensive, and not near as tasty! We have never had one complaint, and we have been going for over two years now. This is by far our favorite restaurant, and we highly recommend it to everyone we know! You will not be disappointed!

Reviewed September 23, 2011

We ate at the sushi bar rather than doing the steakhouse dining area or the sit-down dining room. The sushi was fresh, superbly prepared by the owner (Andrew), while he carried on a conversation with us. His wife is the hostess. The dining room has a full Japanese menu in addition to the Sushi menu. The steakhouse portion of the restaurant is typical and entertaining, based on the squeels of laughter and clapping.

To my knowledge they do not have a full bar; although, you can get beer, saki, and wine (glass or bottle). I have never ordered hard liquor there to know. They serve lunch Monday through Saturday, and have "happy hour" sushi from 4:30pm until 6:30pm with half priced sushi.

Our favorite sushi place. Reasonably priced and quite enjoyable. In looking at their website, their Parkville location is no longer open.

Reviewed September 13, 2011

I love this place, the sushi is super fresh and the roles are excellent. They have some creative rolls that are really tasty and the best crab rangoon I've ever had. It's my new favorite place to eat.

Reviewed June 18, 2011

my family and i love japanese sushi and japanese steak and they are on the entertainment book so that is the first time we try this place. when we walk in to the restaurant it seem so plan and the restaurant is empty has not alot of customer, (we arrive on 6:30 pm.) after we got the table every thing is so dirty, the table is oily and most of the plate on the table are have cracks and when you sit on the chair it feels like is going to break. so we ask the server change the clean plate for us but the second plate we got are not much different. I am paying about $20 per person but i dont think is worth it for this kind of restaurant and food.. We will never want to eat in this kind of restaurant.