“Cursed Location?”

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: NOW OPEN! More than just a restaurant, Drunken Fish has quickly become one of Kansas City's favorite places to see and be seen. Thoughtfully designed, Drunken Fish boasts a trendy and sophisticated decor with an unmatched ambiance. Voted Best New Restaurant and Best Sushi in KC Magazine, Drunken Fish has a selection of sensational sushi and Japanese cuisine that will satisfy every appetite, while the drink menu boasts a list of unique cocktails. With incredible ambiance and exceptional service, Drunken Fish is the ultimate Leawood dining experience.
Reviewed July 5, 2014

Have tried this place twice for lunch since it is just down the street. Was optimistic after the last disaster inhabited this space. Maybe I had unrealistic expectations. First lunch there was about two months ago. It was completely empty at 1130a. One other table showed up a little later but that was about it. This was a red flag for me. I was invited there and had been wanting to try it.
Service seemed random considering there was no rush... no flow to it. I realize this is picky but you'd think they could have this part dialed in with no one there. Fountain machine was on the fritz. Iced tea tasted like bad fountain tea. Maybe it is brewed fresh but if it was, it tasted old.
I ordered a simple chicken bowl. It was mostly rice, very few vegetables... and they were small. Chicken was scarce for a chicken dish and completely overcooked and dried out.
2nd visit was similar situation. It was a business lunch last week. I love sushi and there are many options around here. I was hoping for a contender. This fell short as a mediocre alternative for the quality but for the price... I would skip. Spicy tuna rolls should be a slam dunk. Consistency of the tuna between the meager 6 rolls I had, was varied. That make me wonder a little about how fresh their fish is. I want to say they are still working out the kinks but it should be dialed in by now. I have not been for dinner yet but if I do go, my expectations are much lower now. With an outdoor seating option and great location something is off for this place to be empty for lunch. Give it a shot. I don't want to give up on it yet... but one more try is it for me. Good luck!

Reviewed July 1, 2014

Grew up in Hawaii where sushi is common fare and well prepared. At DF the rice was gooey, the sushi fish, salmon roe was not fresh and the pieces were small. I would not be going back.

1  Thank Steven T
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This location could not be better in the warm months. That enormous patio right by the fountain in this upscale area was the best decision ownership made.

The struggle I had with my first trip to this location was the lack of ability to make a good cocktail! The server tried repeatedly to accommodate me but whoever was making it I'm guessing was not a cocktail drinker! My girlfriends agreed the last one tasted like soap!

The good was good though (not as good as Ra but service is better here) and the server shared with us that they would try to fix the issue. So, I would go back, esp. on this patio!

Reviewed June 1, 2014

A good selection on the menu, particularly the sashimi, which is what I had. I shared several different sashimi dishes and all were good. Although I didn't try the sushi, some in our group had it and enjoyed it. Several previous reviewers complained about the service but our server was knowledgeable and attentive. Drinks and food arrived in timely fashion, even though we had a group of 9.

Reviewed May 28, 2014

Great food, great patio, excellent service! The drunken tofu was great! Really great atmosphere. I went by myself and had a great time relaxing on the patio and never had to wait for anything.