“Best BBQ in Kansas City”

Joe's Kansas City Bar-B-Que
Ranked #1 of 101 Restaurants in Leawood
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Good for: Families with children, Large groups, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Wheelchair Accessible
Phoenix, Arizona
“Best BBQ in Kansas City”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

Oklahoma Joe's is becoming the measure of great BBQ and sides. The measure is a great smoky flavor with savory exterior and soft chewable meats without dried and hard spots. OK Joe's does this with all their selections from ribs, beef, pulled pork and burnt ends and none failed to meet the standard. The sauce is a little sweet and savory and does not overwhelm the main stay, the meat. The creamy potato salad, cole slaw, and cowboy beans taste more like great home made sides than restaurant fare. Drinks are refillable and service is excellent. We highly recommend Oklahoma Joe's wherever you find them. This is a wonderful find and a treat.

Visited July 2014

• Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Great food and prices”
Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

This is fantastic BBQ and the prices are fair. I tried the ribs and chicken combo with red beans and rice. All great. Portions are big.

Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Brisket!!”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Got dinner here on a Wednesday night and the wait was not too long - about 30 minutes. At least you're indoors, there's beer to buy while you're in line and other people's dinner to peruse as you pass by. The brisket was divine. Smoked ends platter was also offered that night and it got rave reviews from our table. The sides were a little disappointing. The baked beans were spicy, not sweet, which is just a preference of mine. The spicy coleslaw was nothing special and the french fries were drenched in seasoned salt. But the brisket was smoked to perfection, moist and delicious. Get it and savor it.

Olathe, Kansas
“Good BBQ but not my favorite”
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Look, there are a several very good BBQ placed in the greater KC area and in my opinion, each has its merits. Trying to pick one with the best of everything is simply impossible. My wife and I have a local favorite and considering we don't indulge in BBQ that often we find it hard to deviate from there. However, a friend from out of town was in for the week on business and he had already eaten at a few other places so we decided to try OK Joe's in Leawood.

I'll start off by saying the ribs we really good. Smokey without being over-bearing, rub came through nicely and they had enough texture without being tough. I simly prefer my ribs a little wetter and these came with no or very little sauce...I honestly couldn't tell.

My wife had the Z-Man and loved it. I think OK Joe's does an excellent job with their sandwiches (not just meat and sauce but other stuff to add flavor and texture...Z-Man has smoked cheese and onion rings along with the brisket) that elevates them from many other BBQ spots. But to me the mark of any BBQ place is their ribs and as I've said these just aren't my thing.

We also sampled the burnt ends, which were also nicely smoked but a little fatty...yeah, yeah I know they're supposed to be, but a few times I just got a mouth full of fat.

Their sauce was substandard in my opinon. Can't put my finger on exactly what was wrong, I just didn't like it. Sides aren't great either, I've had better beans and many other establishments (although the fries are the exception to this comment).

We arrived on a Wednesday (one of the days burnt ends are available) around 5:20 and the line wasn't too long. We got a beer at the small counter near the front door and thought about getting in line but had to wait for our friend to arrive. 30 min later and the line was to the door and nearly out. We got another beer and started waiting. For as long as the line is the wait really isn't too bad but still frustrating...the "wait in line beer" helps a great deal and is border line genious on their part. By the time we left around 6:30 or so the line was 15 or so deep outside the door...too long to wait for any BBQ in my opinion (maybe that's simly because I live here and can get it anytime).

Like many I wish we had the option for 1/2 star ratings on Trip Advisor and I obviously have a lot of negative things to say, but OK Joe's does know what they're doing with their meat but as I've said before, it just isn't my favorite. Coupled with the wait and the hurried feeling in the dining room and I though about giving it three stars but can't do it...they deserve better.

As we were driving home my wife and I were discussing what we thought. She has seen the original (the one in the gas station) on TV with Anthony Bourdain and we both agreed that if the food we had just eaten had come out of a gas station at a slightly lower price point we'd both be blown away. But at a free standing restaurant with the price point in tact it was a good meal but won't be on the top of my all time favorite list.

Atlanta, Georgia
“Darn good bbq”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Some of the best pulled pork and ribs I've ever had. Did not think the brisket was up to the same level,as the ribs and pork. The fries are awesome as well. Great atmosphere and well worth the short wait in line.