“2 1/2 star Because of Service”

LongHorn Steakhouse
Ranked #52 of 101 Restaurants in Leawood
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children
Shawnee, Kansas
“2 1/2 star Because of Service”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Met a friend last night for an early dinner. I arrived a few minutes before 5:00 and told the man greeting people that I was waiting for one other person. He asked if I'd like to be seated at a table and I said no, I'd sit by the front door and wait for "her." At 5:15 when she hadn't arrived, I called her and to my surprise she said she was already there and seated AND she had given him her name and my name, so when I got there he could take me to her table. I then told him that she was already there and had told him to expect me and gave him my name, he said, "My bad." I couldn't believe that he didn't tell me that one other woman was already there waiting for someone even if he couldn't remember her or my name. We both waited over 15 minutes unnecessarily and it didn't seem to faze him that he made a mistake.

After I sat down, we waited at least 10 minutes and no waiter came by. My friend finally told the waiter that we'd like to order as he passed by. He had gone by our table numerous times and never stopped by and said, "I'll be with you shortly." We then had to wait a few minutes until he finally did come take our order. Very Poor Service!

We both ordered salads and they were ok, nothing special. I won't suggest to anyone that we meet here.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank CharlieKansasCity

Independence
“extremely delicious”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I was in Johnson County on business with a friend and we randomly chose Longhorn Steakhouse. It was an experience we will never forget. My friend is extremely hard to please, as she has owned a restaurant, bakery, and catering business. She expects high quality results from high quality work. At Longhorn, she received both. Every bite was extremely delicious. It was such a good experience that she looked up another Longhorn Steakhouse in Independence, MO and was equally pleased there as well. Longhorn Steakhouse now has two new loyal customers.

Visited July 2012
Springfield - Delaware County, Pennsylvania
“A major disaster”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

On a trip to visit family we were taken to a "steak house" that they just love. Kansas City has always been a cattle town, so this should have been pretty good. It turned out differently.
A pary of four and we ordered chopped steak, a salmon dish, a filet mignon, and I had a flat iron steak.
The first hint of trouble was the baked potatoes, two, which were hard like gravel; i.e. they broke up under the fork into hard lumps about 1/4 inch in size. Reporting this we were brought new baked potatoes. Same thing. Inedible. I opted to switch to mashed potato, which was a large spoonful of pasty potato with a lump of butter (maybe) in the middle of it. They were not hot and not good.
But the main dishes finally came. The salmon appeared glazed and okay. The filet, which I tasted, was mealy and tasteless, not like a normal filet. It was also about 1/4 thick, which isn't usual, I think. The chopped steak appeared okay, but I didn't taste it. My flat iron steak was rare, as I ordered it, and juicy, but had a strange off-taste that I couldn't identify. It was heavily peppered and/or paprikaed to the point of not being edible. I tried scraping the top of the steak to get rid of most of the seasoning, but the taste persisted. I summoned the waitress and she pointed out that the flat iron was the only steak they marinated, and that they had about a 50-50 acceptance of it. The manager showed up at this point and I asked what the marinade was. She said it was olive oil and garlic. Hmmm, and what might the acid component be? I was offered a replacement steak.
When my replacement came I cut right in. It wasn't peppery, but it was tough and chewy, like rubber. I tried cutting around what I think was a vein of fat, but the second and thrid pieces were just as bad. At this point my complaint was met with the statement that "flat iron steak isn't a very good cut." This order was taken off our bill and to make amends we were given a sampler plate of desserts, which were standard and decent according to the other diners. I just didn't have dinner, which wasn't all that bad a thing.
Beware the chains, I guess, and if you find one that has a kitchen that can make it's "signature dishes" stick to it.
P.S. Check my review of Upper West in Santa Monica, where I had flat iron steak later that week.

• Visited July 2012
Overland Park, Kansas
“Decent Steaks, Good Service, Great Drinks”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

This is one of my buddy's favorite places to eat, for both lunch and dinner. My middle son is a big fan as well, so we are in here at least every other month or so. They have lots of different drink choices, especially for the ladies. My wife had a white peach Sangria. She also loves the different Margaritas. I am more easy to please with either a cold beer or a Scotch rocks.

Kansas City is a steak town. These steaks are a good value for the money, compared to the very high end places in town (Plaza 3, Hereford House, etc.)

We have always had good service when we come here. The staff is friendly.

• Visited July 2012
“Next Best Thing To Texas”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

If your looking for a good steak this is the place, you'll love there homemade bread and did I mention there ice tea.

Been to LongHorn Steakhouse? Share your experiences!