“Latino Gem”

Description: Newly opened restaurant by Aaron Sanchez
Kansas City, Missouri
“Latino Gem”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Mestizo Leawood offers many dishes not otherwise available around here. Don't call it Texmex, that's doesn't give it the justice it deserves. The appetizers, raw seafood choices and classic latino entrees are all excellent. We went for lunch and shared everything. My wife and I will be back. They have live bands and DJ's on various nights up in the Rooftop for the late night entertainment scene. It is located in the new trendy Park Place district.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank Gregory C

Kansas City, Missouri
“claiming to be different is not enough”
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Most Mexican restaurants in the Kansas City area are pretty similar. Mestizo claims to be different and the descriptions in their menu are definitively so, although not much better than the real fare. A group of four had different items and none was really impressed as it being beyond ordinary even when non average Mexican plates were selected. For instance the sweetbreads although firm enough were too thick and definitively not crispy as claimed, furthermore, they come swimming in a somewhat spicy sea of a red sauce that distracted from the subtlety of the product. The lamb enchiladas were stringy and dry and the chicken mole poblano was cooked with the skin on to which an small amount of mole sauce was applied, so you had to choose , cholesterol or some mole flavor. The fish tacos were just blah and not enough to share.
The service was very good and the hostess charming. Having just returned from Tulum and tasted some real upscale Mexican food, Mestizo was an overpriced disappointment.

• Visited March 2014
Springfield, Missouri
“Tantalizing Texmex”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Very pleased with this restaurant and would go back in a heartbeat. First of all you have to understand my wife absolutely loves Mexican food so if we are travelling out of town we are pretty much guaranteed at least one Mexican outing. Needless to say I have had my fair share. Mestizo wasn't your typical Mexican or Texmex restaurant. It wasn't your usual dishes smothered in queso, granted not the worst thing ever unless you have cholesterol issues, but there was a twist to their dishes that almost made them contemporary gourmet. Atmosphere was great for singles, couples or families. We had our 14 month old with us and the servers didn't mind at all and if anything went out of their to make sure she was happy. My wife had a glass of wine and I had one of their signature drinks. Good wine selection and the drink was not watered down as you find most of the time. If you get the chance don't pass it up.

• Visited October 2013
Leawood, Kansas
“unique dishes, but no changes allowed”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

When we arrived our group changed from 5 people to 4 people to 5 people. The hostess was patient & accomodating.
The server that started with us disappeared & so another sever took over. Seemed a litte unorganized. Having said that, our server was very good, patient, expalined various items on the menu. When we asked if some dishes were hot/spicy, he said well yea, a little, but not too much. That usually means if you don't like it spicy don't do it. I asked if they could tone down the heat of a dish by request. He said no. The creator of the recipes wanted people to experience it the way he wants you to. I found that interesting. Any other restaurant I've been to usually can accomodate this type of request. I decided to order a dish that was supposed to be NOT hot. It was a little too spicy for my taste & I had a hard time being able to eat it. It was tasty but just too hot for my taste. We were with a group of 5 people so a couple others also tasted it & said the same thing....kinda spicy.
After the meal the server brought us some churros for dessert. He said they werr complimentary because one of our party was having a birthday next week. Nice touch.

• Visited February 2014
Chicago, Illinois
“Excellent”
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I grew up in Chicago, which has about the greatest Mexican restaurants in the country and grew up with authentic Mexican food, so don't pay any attention to the one person who gave this a bad review. I have been to all of Rick Bayless restaurants, which have been voted the best Mexican in the country and was picked to cook for the president at the White house.
This restaurant had a great twist to all my favorites. They had queso fundido made with huitacoche and that is very hard to find, my husband just loves that great to find it on the menu. Big fan of ceviche, this one was very different, but great. All our entres were excellent. highly recommend and the service was fantastic. Will definitely go back.

Visited January 2014