“Food lets it down”

Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Ash
Description: Newly opened restaurant by Aaron Sanchez
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

More upscale Mexican restaurant which encourages sharing the food.
My friend and I shared the mexican style pasta, roasted tomato, poblano, cotija cheese and as an extra requested for grilled chicken. Its not what i expected very bland no flavour an even extra salt, pepper and chilli did not make any difference. The portion however not quite for sharing so if your hungry its not an option. Drinks are also rather pricey.
Service was good and sat outside atmosphere was great.

There are newer reviews for Mestizo

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We enjoyed our dinner here. We ate outside, which was lovely. Our server was quick & attentive. Chips & salsa were tasty & refilled often. I ordered the chile rellanos, which they happened to be out of. However, they did not charge for my meal & told me to pick whatever I wanted. I ended up getting braised lamb enchiladas which were tasty. My husband had the pork belly tacos & he enjoyed them. We both loved the rice. Very different than what you get at typical Mexican places. The prices were reasonable for the area. It was a great experience!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

Happy Hour was great, but food was average. Drink prices were really, really good. I have only been once so could give it another try. Ambiance is good and nice location

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Not your usual tex-mex. This is upscale, contemporary Mexican cuisine with unsual and outstanding flavors. I had been to Mestizo a few months ago for drinks, which did not impress me. I finally went for dinner, and wow... fantastic food. Very good service too, but the food blew me away. Shaved Brussel Sprouts salad tasted better than I could imagine and provided a better choice from health standpoint. Never had anything like it anywhere. I loved the Pepita encrusted scallops. Crispy, crunchy on outside, tender and full-taste of scallops. They rested on a corn relish that tasted great. The chips were ordinary, but I've found my new favorite salsa. The mild had great flavor, tomatoes, some chunkiness, even though lacking in heat. The hot sauce, a brownish-yellow color and thick consistency provided excellent heat and tremendous flavor. Often hot sauces are hot just to be hot. This hot sauce didn't burn/hurt, but provided good heat and outstanding lime/cilantro flavor. I also tried the mahi tacos. Very good choice as well, though more pedestrian than the other items. You have to try this one. I would say this is a bit on the expensive side, but not outrageous.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I visited Mestizo with friends on Friday 7/5/13. The food was ok....and the service was below average. This was my first visit here so not sure if we just got a poor waiter or if this is standard for this place. We asked for numerous suggestions from the waiter and he was unable to help us out with suggestions. He was also very slow and unattentive. I doubt I'll return.