“great for groups”

La Bodega - Leawood
Reserve with OpenTable
La Bodega - Leawood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #12 of 100 Restaurants in Leawood
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Roe Ave
Description: Tapas -- In the beginning. Tapas is a daily event in the life of the Spanish culture. Mainly a Northern Spain, Basque regional tradition, it has grown to signify a way of eating and socializing. It is said that tapas originated centuries ago. In Spanish, the word tapa or the verb tapar means "to cover." Tapas represents the Spanish custom of placing a piece of bread over the glass of wine. It is a custom that dates back past the 1500's. Traditionally, the exact food served is less important than the social occasion. It signifies leisure, camaraderie and good humor. In Spain, Tapas are almost always accompanied by wine. The wine is the medium that holds the conversation with friends and the food together. You make time to enjoy the moment in an unhurried way. The threefold purpose of snacking on tapas is to dull any hunger pangs that have built up since the previous intake of comestibles, to whet the appetite for the next, and to stimulate sociability, at which the Spanish excel.
Reviewed October 13, 2013

La Bodega handled our large party like pros. We'd been to the original location on SW Boulevard several times but this was our first trip to the Leawood location. Cool place, live music, one of south JoCo's few nice outdoor areas from what we heard, too. We opted to skip the tapas and go for the seafood paella, which was great but definitely portioned for two. A tip if you go as a couple, try a small plate or two, then split a paella. You'll likely still have leftovers for at least one lunch, but it's a great way to get some of the fun tapas experience and still leave satisfied. Great wait staff, no drama over splitting checks, overall a wonderful experience. We'll be back!

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We visited La Bodega on the afternoon of the 4th for Happy Hour. Excellent food, service and red wine sangria.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I heard my co-workers talk about this place several times so I had to try it out. There is a large menu of tapas as well as alcoholic beverages. My husband and I chose 4 dishes and devoured them all. I wish we would have gone during happy hour so we could save 50%! We'll do that next time. This would be a fund place to go with a bunch of friends to hang out with for a few hours while you drink, nibble, and gab.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

This was our first experience at La Bodega out south. We have eaten at the other one on SW Boulevard before, and, if you go there, don't park underneath the nearby overpass. The pigeons that roost there will make you pay BIG TIME! Anyway, back to the newer one in Leawood. I really enjoyed their tapas. We were with another couple and each person order 1-2 small plates and then shared. There is a large selection so you can pass them around and sample each one. I liked them all - shrimp, potatoes, mushrooms, steak, meatballs. We also had the chocolate tort for dessert. The best time to go is during an extended Happy Hour that lasts from 2:00 - 6:00 PM. Half price. I highly recommend this restaurant for a fun get-together with friends. Wine and tapas for good times.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

For lunch on the patio, I had the La Bodega version of the Torta Cubano. The flavor and ingredients were first rate, although I had a minor issue with the use of a hoagie style bun instead of grilled slices of Cuban bread. The torta was accompanied with a side of Papas Fritas with a delicious roasted garlic aioli dressing. For my beverage I selected an inexpensive Chardonnay that was just fine with the tasty crusty bread served before the meal. Although I was the only guest on the side patio for most of my meal, my server, Fanny, was attentive, efficient and cheerful.