“great night out”

Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 119th & Roe
Description: WestChase Grille specializes in serving upscale comfort food. The décor is warm, elegant and inviting, with live music five nights a week (Wed - Sun). Chef/ Owner, John Westerhaus, trained at Le Cordon Bleu in Paris, graduating with honors in both their cuisine and pastry programs. Located at 119th and Roe Avenue in Hawthorne Plaza, WestChase Grille is open for dinner seven nights a week from 5pm to close and serves lunch Monday through Friday from 11am to 3pm. The lunch menu offers great salads, homemade soups, a variety of hot and cold sandwiches, as well as lunch size portion entrées. The dinner menu has something for everyone including: Certified Angus™ Beef steaks, highly acclaimed seafood, chicken, pasta and nightly specials that showcase items such as: rack of lamb, veal and duck. WestChase Grille’s wine list has won the Wine Spectator “Award of Excellence” three years in a row. Additionally, there is a full bar serving great martinis, house cocktails, bottle and draft beer. Guests may bring in their own wine and enjoy it with a nominal corkage fee.
kansas city
“great night out”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

unusal food, jazz in resturant, moderately expensive. grits and shrimp superb. iunusual drinks. not a chain

Visited December 2012
1 Thank urczar

lees Summit MO
“disappointed”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

WestChase Grille had been on my list of restaurants to try. I was very pleased with the decor and atmosphere of this restaurant. The live music was a bonus. I was not happy when we were told that the Sun - Thurs Prix Fixe menu mentioned on their website was no longer offered. I suggest they update their menu options as this incorrect information is not a professional way to operate a business or keep customers. We decided to stay and ordered from the regular menu. The calamari with sweet sour sauce was very good. I ordered the prime rib and was beyond disappointed with this tasteless piece of beef. The sides were smashed potatoes and cream spinach and were not exciting either. This meal seemed to be "leftovers" thrown on a plate and reheated. I doubt I will return.

John W, Owner at WestChase Grille, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
We’re sorry to hear that your first dining experience with us was disappointing. We can assure you that our dishes are never reheated nor do we serve leftovers. However, it is obvious that something was amiss with your dishes & your concerns will be shared with our kitchen staff. Please accept our apologies for this & we hope that you reconsider your stance to give us another chance to win you over. Sincerely, John.
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Very Nice!”
Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

Went for lunch after shopping at Town Center across the street...not crowded but we had a reservation and we had a lovely table next to the window...our waiter did not say much but was very efficient. We started with wine and shared the lobster spring rolls and warm baked Brie...both very good!...we finished with small warm apple spinach salads...in all it was lovely and we will probably go back!

1 Thank Sarah4501
John W, Owner at WestChase Grille, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Sarah, It is so great to hear that you enjoyed your dining experiences with us! We appreciate your compliments of our food! Hope you come back to visit soon. Sincerely, John.
Shawnee, KS
“Rude, rude, rude General Manager”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

I took my friend to this restaurant a week ago Monday evening to get her out for an enjoyable dinner after the death of her young husband. We ordered from the "daily special" menu, our biggest mistake. We ordered shrimp with grits. I had been concerned about the grits as I had never eaten them before, but my friend persuaded me to order them. We had an appetizer of callimari which were just okay. Then the main course came, the shrimp was bad. I brought this to the attention of the waiter who sent over a very large man in a chef's jacket who never identified himself. He wanted to know specifically what was wrong with the shrimp and I said it was bad. He then admonished me and told me that my description "the shrimp was bad" did not help him. My friend told him it was tough and tasted as thought it might have past it's shelf life. He then took the dishes back to the kitchen, ate them and came back to tell us the shrimp was not bad, past it's shelf life and that he thought they were very good. At this point, we were afraid to order anything from the menu of substance so we ordered soup, which was delicious. Homemade tomato soup and their signature French Onion. And I'd like to add the the grits were incredible. They then brought the desert, key lime pie which was good; however, the filing had started separating from the pie shell which is an indication of it not being the freshest. I would like restaurants to understand that the customer who is paying for the food should be treated as a guest and to condescended to. I will never go back to this restaurant. Oh, they did give us the desert for free for our trouble.

Take your health into your own hands when ordering off their daily menu. It was a nice, cozy atmosphere.

John W, Owner at WestChase Grille, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
First off, I would like to thank you for posting a review & for the nice words about our grits. More importantly though, I am truly sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable or reprove you in any way. At WestChase Grille, we only use the freshest produce & as a chef, I am very concerned when customers are wary of a dish that we have prepared for them. I was a little confused when you informed me that the shrimp was “bad” simply because it looked like none of them had been tasted. I took them back & ate them with another chef to make sure that they were in fact still fresh. Again, I’d like to apologize to you & your friend if I seemed upset or was condescending. This certainly was not my intent. I hope that you accept this apology & give my restaurant another chance sometime. Sincerely, John.
Kansas City, Missouri
“Cozy "supper club" atmosphere and good food”
Reviewed December 10, 2012

At my kids suggestion my husband took me to the West Chase Grill for my birthday. The atmosphere was very inviting and welcoming. We both had filets and they were very good and cooked to perfection. I splurged and had creme brûlée for desert which was also very good? Not only was the food great they have live entertainment. J Love a jazzy blues singer was there that night and had a 3 piece band accompanying her. She was wonderful and apparently my daughters called the restaurant as she sang a song in honor of my birthday. It was the perfect place to celebrate my birthday and I highly recommend this restaurant. They vary the entertainment so can't wait to go back. If you want a cozy supper club with great food this is it!

John W, Owner at WestChase Grille, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
We are extremely pleased to hear that you celebrated your birthday with us and you enjoyed yourself! Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. We will make sure to pass your sentiments along to our entire staff! Come back & visit us soon! Sincerely, John.