“Girls Trip to KC results in Excellent Stay in Trendy Hotel”

Aloft Leawood - Overland Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Leawood
Springfield, Missouri
“Girls Trip to KC results in Excellent Stay in Trendy Hotel”
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Aloft hotels are trendy. If you aren't trendy, or don't appreciate trendy, don't stay here. There is a sushi bar downstairs, an internet center on the second floor, and Town Center is right there - so there is some GREAT shopping oportunities - as well as eating opportunities - right in the neighborhood.

I stayed here two nights in October with some girlfriends. We left the kids at home with the husbands and came up to relax and shop. The beds are platform, but were still comfy. The rooms are small but the high ceilings make them feel better. I stayed in a room with 2 beds and one other person - plenty of bathroom space and closet space, and space in general.

I liked this hotel a lot! I can see where it could be noisy, but we were on the 4th floor and slept like babies! Fun for friends, maybe not for small kids.

I DID notice they LOVE pets - the person next to us had a dog - I never heard the dog, but I did see the bowl, bed, and goodies left outside in anticipation of the dog's arrival. FUN!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank EyeTravel4Fun

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
Chicago
Reviewed June 1, 2010

Was at the Aloft for 3 nights during Memorial Day weekend for a wedding. We got a great rate on hotels.com for about $70/night including taxes. We have 2 young children and were placed in a king sized bed corner room. The room was TINY. Then another wedding guest said their room was much larger so we asked the front desk if we could move to a room with 2 queen beds and they moved us immediately and were very friendly and helpful. The second room was a million times bigger and more comfortable. I'd highly recommend going with the two queens over the king room if you are traveling with more than one person. I'll summarize the pro's and con's in my opinion -
Pro's - Nice Kohler glass shower, Bliss bath products, tiny fridge, safe, flat screen tv, comfortable beds and pillows, clean cribs for the kids, carpet that I didn't mind my children crawling on, free parking, great location, sushi bar with great happy hour food specials, nice clean indoor pool.
Con's (which some of these contradict the pro's a bit) - No tub (which only matters to us when we needed to bath a kid), pool supposedly was a bit cold and didn't have a shallow end so my 8 year old niece couldn't stand anywhere but she had fun anyway. Air conditioning was loud but didn't impact our sleeping. The temperature was kind of hard to control but the room was nice and cool for a super hot weekend. The lights were strange - we had a hard time understanding the light switches and how you could turn off the light next to the bed without going to the switch by the door. The phone kept flashing like there was a message but for the life of me I never figured out how to retrieve it. There are NO drawers at all to unpack. There's some hangers but no proper closet. It's definitely not your typical hotel room. And finally there was no seperation between the sleeping area and the sink so if you had to use the bathroom you had to turn on a light which then lit up the whole room. So not the best if you have sleeping kids that are sensitive to light.
With all that being said we had a great time at the hotel. When we were checking out and loading all our luggage on the carts (I don't think they have bellboys to help with luggage - at least not that we saw) my husband commented that the hotel didn't have a ton of bells and whistles but the price was very reasonable and he would rather have a nice comfortable room than people holding all the doors for us. Most of the con's I listed are just the design on the hotel and aren't necessarily bad - just different. We also enjoyed the location - tons of restaurants and stores/mall in the immediate area. We ate every breakfast at a little place across the street called Ingredient. It was nice. The Aloft also has a bar in the lobby that runs some good drink specials. And the Ra sushi restaurant is the place to be seen. We were on the 3rd floor and didn't have problems with the noise level. My sister was in the room next to us and she said she couldn't hear my screaming children in the middle of the night. Overall it was a great weekend and would definitely stay there again.

Oh - one last thing - we saw a handful of dogs checking into the hotel. If you have allergies I'd look into it. I didn't see or smell any indication that dogs were around other than them being brought in by their owners but just thought I'd mention it.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank alertkm
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed April 4, 2010

I recently traveled to the Kansas City area with my parents and sister. My parents had a king-bed accessible room, and my sister and I shared a room with double queen-beds. Our first choice in the area was a Hyatt Place, but after seeing the aloft Leawood come up in search results, we decided to try something new.

Overall the hotel is very nice. It's in a new development in the Leawood/Overland Park area called Park Place, adjacent to Town Center Plaza and its shops & restaurants. The decor and vibe of the hotel is very hip and trendy, yet laid back. The hotel plays on the theme of "a" words like aloft, aloha, awake, etc. thoughout. At the same time, there were some rough edges that need to be worked out.

Arriving at the hotel, guests enter the ground floor lobby and are presented with a pair of elevators and a stairway... that's it. No staff, no desk, no signs. We got on one of the elevators and found nothing inside to tell us where to check in either; the floors were simply labeled G, 2 - 6. (We later found that the other elevator had floor 2 labeled as the "Aloha Lobby.") Some signage in the lobby and elevators directing guests to the second floor for check-in would have been helpful.

After a swift check-in at the "Aloha Desk," we headed to our rooms on the 6th floor. Our rooms were on the west side of the building and looked onto the nicely landscaped Sprint/Nextel campus across the street. The rooms themselves have a "loft" feel with high ceilings, lots of light, and modern furnishings. The rooms had a large bathroom vanity with above-the-counter sink basin; plenty of room to spread things out. Opposite the vanity was a combination "closet" space, in-room safe, coffee maker with individual coffee packets, and a magazine rack. The glass shower stall and toilet are behind a sliding mirrored door. (The mirror helped create the illusion of more space, and the sliding door was a great way to divide the room without taking up space for a hinged door.) Inside the shower, a frosted glass window allowed light from the sleeping area to flow into the shower and vice-versa.

The sleeping area had the beds, a wall-mounted flat-panel LCD TV, desk area and office chair, bench for seating, and two tall windows with shades. The room has two cordless phones, one at the desk and one on the nightstand between the beds. The desk also has a work lamp and a box with 4 electrical outlets and an input panel for the TV, including HDMI, VGA, and Composite video inputs. The room’s alarm clock is also on the nightstand, but it’s an old-school, analog, Big-Ben, loud bell type and we had some trouble with it; maybe ours was on the fritz, but I relied on my cell phone alarm for waking up. Our group was split on the comfort of the beds; two of us thought they were fine, two found them too firm.

The hotel’s common areas are well furnished as well. The fitness center is a good sized room, outfitted with top-of-the-line Life Fitness equipment and was usually busy in the morning and evening. The swimming pool, adjacent to the fitness center, is also a good size, 5’6” at its deepest (I think), elegantly built as an infinity edge pool where the water flows up to and over the edge. The rest of the hotel’s common areas are located on the second floor lobby. These include a pool table, bar-height table with electrical outlets, small living-room like seating area, three computers and a printer for guest use, 24x7 snack/convenience bar, large seating area, “W XYZ” bar, and a large covered deck with ample seating. Free wireless internet was available in the guest rooms and common areas, and the speed was very good for a hotel. Parts of the second floor lobby are two stories, extending to the 3rd floor, keeping the space open and continuing the loft feel. The hotel sometimes has live music in the lobby, and after seeing the layout, I can see what other reviewers mean about sound from the lobby carrying to the 3rd floor rooms.

Free parking for the hotel is available in the Park Place parking garage. The garage is adjacent to the hotel, but not directly connected to it, so guests do have to walk outside to get from the garage to the hotel. It’s not a long walk in nice weather, but it might be different on a cold winter day. (The hotel staff told us there was a closer entrance on the north side of the building accessible with a guestroom key card; in reality it was the discharge for the emergency exit stairs, so upon entering, guests had at least one flight of stairs to climb.) The parking garage is very convenient, with traffic flow into Park Place and onto Nall Avenue. The garage is well-light and was never full during our stay.

Now for the “hiccups” we experienced. When we initially made our reservations, we called the W Hotels reservation center and were told rooms were not available. We immediately called the hotel directly and were able to make reservations for the same type of rooms the reservation center told us were sold out. We also found that the rooms lacked some typical things you might expect – like an ice bucket. Guests could get ice from the lobby in a plastic bag, but there was nothing to keep it cold and the bag quickly became unwieldy as the ice began to melt. One day upon returning to our rooms, we found the coffee packets had not been replaced. The staff at the desk told us they were out of coffee for the rooms. They offered a single voucher for a free cup of coffee from the coffee bar in the lobby; I think they should have either left these vouchers in the room when housekeeping discovered there were no coffee packets, or coffee could have been moved from other vacant rooms. Basically, it just seemed like there were some rough edges to be worked out.

All in all, our stay was good. We appreciated the sleek, modern décor and presentation of the hotel. The location was great, the staff was friendly. I think aloft definitely hits the target audience of young, urban professionals. For stays of a few days, I would definitely consider an aloft hotel (including this one) again. For stays of a week or longer, I would probably consider going back to another brand, like Hyatt Place, for more comfortable rooms.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank schumatt
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed March 30, 2010

We stayed here as a group with our son's sports team. The place is trendy and has some interesting design elements. The rooms are decorated nicely, and the beds are comfortable. They do lack a "closet" and dressers but that was ok for us only spending 1 night. We didn't have any problems with noise but I could see where it could be problematic if you were on the 2nd or 3rd floors. It is kind of loud and there's a lot of hard surfaces that make the sound bounce around even more.

The price was good (~$80). They had a common area with a pool table and 3 computers for use. This area was a wonderful place for the team to gather and to keep the kids busy and contained. They also have a nice pool and fitness area. There's a small bar upstairs and a sushi bar downstairs, we didn't go to the sushi bar.

There's shopping and restaurants nearby. Some right outside the front door or across the street and a large mall across the parking lot.

The price of the breakfast items add up quickly.

• Stayed March 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed March 7, 2010

Excellent, first-class hotel and a great value. Excellent trendy Sushi Bar called "RA" in the hotel. Nice Balcony overlooking trendy, new area of Leawood. Only recommendation is that if you need some sleep, you stay on the 4th or 5th floor. We were on the 3rd floor which is open to the lobby (which is on the 2nd floor) and the music is loud until 11:30 on some nights.

Other than that, the staff is fantastic and the room was different and fun.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BillyBud200
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 5, 2010

I have stayed at many alofts as I say in my other reviews, I think this is my 12th one. Like the aloft in Milwaukee this one has a hoping social scene with locals and guests in the xyz bar and a DJ mixing beats in the second floor lobby. The design is definitely impressive, not the cheap construction of the aloft near Stapleton or in Chesapeake, VA.

The "talent" at the desk was attractive and friendly, usually not the case with aloft talent. She told me that the music would go to midnight and to let her know if it would be an issue. Well they must know it is an issue because I was placed on the 3rd floor and because of the fact that the third floor is open to the 2nd floor lobby, the noise reverberates in the guest corridors and is quite loud in the rooms. They should shut the fire doors in this case. I think the DJ is a cool thing but people are here to sleep.

The bed is hard and uncomfortable like at every other aloft. I like the room layout though and how they dispense the soap and shampoo. I like alofts but each seems to have this little quirk that misses perfection. On this one it was the loud music and a bucket truck right outside my window at 9AM as I got out of the shower. I guess they were fixing something but they should really wait until later in the day before doing this kind of work.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
kanas city, mo
Reviewed February 15, 2010

Long time fan of the "W" hotel but first stay in an ALOFT property. Took the trip to the burbs and for a little night out last weekend so we could try RA Sushi (attached tot the hotel)

Overall nice property. The rate was great about 70.00 and certainly worth that. Very new, clean etc. I mean where else can you expect to have glass enclosed Kohler shower for 70.00 a night?

Although I am a Platinum SPG member I had a standard room on the 6th floor and felt it was much more than adequate for a few nights stay. The room while small was VERY well designed and made use of space quite well. It is quite tech friendly, the tv has a stand along box that you can plug in all your electronic devices to, we used it to watch a DVD on our laptop)

The lobby, fitness room and pool area were all top notch, especially for the price.

Only consistent negative I agree with is the noise from room to room and room to hallway is pretty noticeably and I could see how that could be an issue, although it was not for me.

Over all very impressed. I think the negative reviews are from folks not evaluating the hotel for what is, rather than what they think it should be.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leawood
Sheraton Overland Park Hotel at the Convention Center
Hyatt Place Overland Park/Convention Center
Hyatt Place Kansas City/Overland Park/Metcalf
Hilton Garden Inn Overland Park
Hilton Garden Inn Overland Park
#5 of 37 in Overland Park
Embassy Suites by Hilton Kansas City-Overland Park
Holiday Inn Overland Park-Conv Ctr

Been to Aloft Leawood - Overland Park? Share your experiences!