“Slippery”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Leawood
Angleton, Texas
“Slippery”
Reviewed June 23, 2014

The hotel billed me for a $140.00 "early check-out fee". I travel quite a bit and this is a new one to me. When I called the hotel the front desk attendant and manager were both unhelpful. The charge wasn't on my final bill at check-out, but was instead charged to my card three days later.

The quality of the room for the price was below average. The mattresses were uncomfortable and the rooms were furnished with cheap dorm-room type furnishings.

I couldn't use the electric plug at the night table to charge my phone because it wasn't properly secured into the wall. The plug would come out of the wall each time I went to unplug my phone. I had to quit using it because of the safety risk and instead used the outlet in the bathroom which was inconvenient.

Disappointing experience. Needless to say I will not be staying at another aloft hotel anytime soon.

Room Tip: My advice is to stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Jerry C
Kylie O, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Leawood - Overland Park, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Thank you for providing us with your feedback and allowing us the opportunity to improve. We sincerely apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. If you could please reach out to our hotel directly at lynne.fleenor@aloftleawood.com and let us know the room number, so we can discuss the additional charges. Thank you again for leaving us a review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Norman, Oklahoma
Reviewed June 14, 2014

After reading some of the reviews, I was a little worried about whether or not this hotel would be a good choice for my family of four (2 adults & 2 kids under age 10). Between complaints about noise, sketchy parking & having to walk a long way from the car park to the hotel, I was a bit concerned. However, I needed a room in short notice (less than 24 hours) and this hotel was one of the few that had availability in the area for less than $200/night, so I booked it.

I am pleased to say that my concerns were entirely unfounded. This hotel is in an absolutely lovely, outdoor shopping & dining complex that is not in the least bit sketchy or scary. On the contrary, once we got here and settled in, all four of us went exploring a bit and had a great time checking out the shops & restaurants. It simply could not be more well-located. I'm not sure where the people who were concerned about the area are from, but there is absolutely NOTHING to worry about in that regard.

As for the parking, first and foremost, it is FREE, covered parking in a safe & well-lit parking garage. As for the "great distance" that several of the other reviews mentioned, I timed it and it took me exactly 6 minutes from car to room--hardly an outrageous distance. Again, I'm not sure what the other posters were expecting, but this is not a drive-up-to-the-door "motel." This is a hotel in an urban-ish area and the parking is just fine.

Finally, as I mentioned, we are a family of four. Our children are age 5 & 8. We felt 100% comfortable here. We saw people of all ages & types (young couples, older couples, other families, etc. We even saw a couple with a dog!). It was neither loud or nightclub-ish. Yes, there is a bar adjacent to the bottom floor, but we never heard it or was otherwise disturbed by it. Maybe we were insulated by being on the third floor, but if you're concerned abt noise, you could always ask for a higher floor upon making your reservation and/or at check in.

All in all, we were thrilled with our stay here. It is a very typical Aloft hotel. The room is smallish and the style is contemporary. The room came with every expected amenity (coffee maker, iron/ironing board, mini-fridge, hair dryer, etc.). The only real thing it lacks is any kind of free breakfast, but I don't know of any Alofts that offer breakfast, so that's to be expected.

If you are looking for a safe, comfortable place to stay with a friendly and helpful staff (we originally made our reservation online and I accidentally made it for the wrong date. However, one quick and easy phone call later, they switched me to the correct night without any fuss whatsoever.) in a wonderful and fun area, look no further than this Aloft.

Room Tip: If you're concerned about noise, ask for a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Didi8367
Eloy, Arizona
Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

We have traveled the world, and never been to a hotel where they play loud music after 10pm, was like being inside a boom box, and when we complained the manager on duty told us that he would throw us out, he could not do anything about the music and would play till 1 pm. I can be wrong, but in my understanding a hotel is a place you come basically to sleep and rest. Here, they are more interested in promoting events in their open areas, since they don't have any meeting rooms like regular hotels. Right now, 5 pm we are listening to some religious/music. Air condition is also really loud. Parking is also awful, and if you haven't researched that on their website before your stay you are here for a big surprise, specially during busy check in time. With want peace, don't ever come and stay here.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Cristina C
Kylie O, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Leawood - Overland Park, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear Guest,

We are sorry to hear that you had an unfortunate experience with our staff recently. Please rest assured your comments have been addressed with our team and properly handled to better improve our guest’s experiences in the future. We apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay, but thank you for providing us with your feedback and giving us the chance to improve our hotel and services. Take care.

Travelers are raving about these Leawood hotels

Omaha
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

We are extremely happy with our stay. The parking that many others have mentioned was not a big deal. It took approximately two minutes to leave the parking garage and walk to the hotel entrance.

We liked the atmosphere in the hotel as well as the area. It's well maintained and fun. The staff are very friendly, the room was clean and comfortable. Yes, the king bed room was not enormous, but the layout was perfect and made it feel a lot more spacious.

I loved the lobby area - we didn't check out XYZ, but we did grab a few snacks from the refuel station. It was a little pricey but you're paying for convenience and there was a good variety. We enjoyed a game of scrabble and thought the game area was inviting and very family friendly.

We are planning a family trip back to KC in September and may end up back at the Aloft again because we were so pleased with our stay.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Kylie O, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Leawood - Overland Park, responded to this review, June 26, 2014
Dear pinksesh,

Believe me, we enjoyed having you just as much as you enjoyed your stay. We are so happy that you had a wonderful stay. We hope to see you again in September. Take care.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 6, 2014

Ok, so I'm an avid aloft guest. When I travel alone, I always choose aloft. Aloft in Leawood is inconvenient and the parking is awful! Honestly I didn't even trust my car to be left so far away. The hotel itself was clean and reliable but the parking was a problem. This was also one of the smaller versions I've stayed in. The views aren't good and I don't even know that they have a pool. The floor in the elevator was broken. I can honestly say this is my least favorite aloft hotel. Although staff was friendly, it needs some upgrades and the parking situation needs to be addressed. Although it only has 3 stars, it is affordable and nicer than most of the chain hotels. Just don't expect the usual aloft experience. Hopefully they will be improving it soon!

Room Tip: I clearly didn't get the good room on this one so no tips from me. Sorry!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CloudTenReviews
St Augustine Florida
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We were having a family gathering and needed 4 bedrooms so I went to the Aloft to checkout there rooms... The staff were very helpful and rooms were in excellent condition (very clean). We had our elderly parents stay there and all the staff were very patient especially Dana &Kristin. We would definitely not hesitate to use the Aloft next time.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Nixa, Missouri
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Very inconvenient access to hotel from parking garage. Valet personnel was no where to be found when we arrived. Bed was comfortable enough, but platform under mattress protruded and now have bruises on my leg from bumping into. Air conditioning unit was very loud and disrupted sleep all night. Internet connection was horrible. Next morning in lobby, coffee was ice cold. Front desk personnel was friendly and efficient in checking in/out. Convenience to shops and restaurants is a plus, but would rather drive a short distance and stay at a different hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Kylie O, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Leawood - Overland Park, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear Hootentown,

We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay, but appreciate the time you took to share your comments with us. These issues have been addressed and adjusted for a better guest experience. We are pleased to offer many free amenities to our guests, however, valet services are not one of them. We hope that you will give us another try in the future so we have an opportunity to make it up to you.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leawood
Sheraton Overland Park Hotel at the Convention Center
Hyatt Place Overland Park/Convention Center
Hyatt Place Kansas City/Overland Park/Metcalf
Hilton Garden Inn Overland Park
Hilton Garden Inn Overland Park
#5 of 37 in Overland Park
Embassy Suites by Hilton Kansas City-Overland Park
Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City/Overland Park

Been to Aloft Leawood - Overland Park? Share your experiences!