“Room is as promised however....”

Aloft Leawood - Overland Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Leawood
Kansas City, Missouri
“Room is as promised however....”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The check in process is confusing. The parking is a block away in a free, well maintained nicely lit garage but it's a block away. Since the hotel is near some popular restaurants and the property allows guests to park in the 3 spots some hotels might save for check ins and loading only. I finally, after circling the drive, just parked in the middle of the crowded entry and hoped I pulled close enough to the curb so everyone had enough room to pass by while I went up the second floor front desk then returned to the car to get the luggage and go up to the room and then returned to the car to park it on the third level of the garage (reserved for guests of the hotel) a block away. This wouldn't be so fun in a Kansas City winter but lucky for me it's fall! The room was clean and well maintained. If anyone from the hotel reads this I can think of a few options: get a valet that directs guests and keeps those parking spaces free so checkins can quickly load and unload or start a bell desk so someone is attending to the situation for those of us who've never stayed with you before. You could also call every guest after they reserve a room and explain that the parking is block away but I suspect that may lead to some cancellations :). The hotel desk is understaffed. I checked in on a Friday night at around 9pm, only one person at the front desk to cover the phone and do check in. She was very friendly and efficient but no one can do it all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank adwww

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I have stayed at this location several times and have enjoyed my stay every time. The location is convenient, the price is reasonable, and the hotel is modern. The location of this hotel is excellent. There are many things to do, places to eat, and a theater close. I will defiantly use this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Andrea N, Starwood Hotels & Resorts at Aloft Leawood - Overland Park, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Thank you for sharing your comments about your recent stay. We are pleased to learn our convenient location and modern hotel fit your needs your well. We look forward to welcoming you back for another exceptional stay soon. Have a great day!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I really enjoy staying at an aloft property and this place is what I would expect from the SPG brand. Service was good and location was convenient. The only negative is the parking situation was a bit confusing. There are two garages and both require some walking.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Your review is greatly appreciated, thank you so much for sharing. At Aloft Leawood-Overland Park we pride ourselves on exceptional service and our guests’ comfort and satisfaction are our number one priority. It pleases us to hear your enjoyed our convenient location as well and we hope to see you again the next time you are in the area. Take care!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 5, 2013

I was in town for work, and got put up at the Aloft Leawood. This was my 2nd time at this property, as I'd stayed here two years ago for a similar reason. My first reaction is that the place hasn't been particularly well maintained. It looked like everything that had broke in 2 years received the 'duct tape fix'. That aside though, the rooms were comfy, the lobby was nice, the beds were great etc. The one thing that throws me about this particular Aloft is that they don't embrace the Bliss products. I came with no shampoo or conditioner, but with the assumption that the hotel would have the bliss products. They had soap, and everything else in shower-mounted dispensers labled to be Bliss, but I wasn't buying that. The smell was wrong, and the products left my hair feeling like straw!

Took a look around at the amenities- the pool was pretty humid and overflowing, but seemed clean and worth while of a swim if thats you're thing. I went to the gym and did the elliptical machine for a while, and that was a pretty fine experience. No issues there. They had water, towels, and ear buds available if you forgot yours from home. The equipment was in good shape too. Breakfast was the strangest moment of my trip though. They had meat-based breakfast sandwiches out, but as a vegetarian, i requested a sandwich with egg and cheese only. The guy must not have heard me, because 10 minutes later he handed me a plate with eggs and a slide of cheese? I gave it back to him and requested it be placed on an english muffin... but waiting for the muffin to toast up nearly made me late for my meeting. Very strange exchange.

All in all- this hotel is fine. It's not as awesome as it was when i was here 2 years ago. It needs some updates... but I'll likely stay here again next time i come to town...

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CohenLaurenA
Great Neck, New York
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We went for a family reunion to the Kansas City area and stayed at the Aloft because of the location. We were so pleasantly surprised when we arrived at the hotel. It was a youthful quiet, but quiet hotel. I am the type that likes to be left alone except if I need something and that's what this was. The rooms were nice and modern, not fancy but they had all the comforts you need. A few more cable channels would have been good. We had a problem with the safe and the hotel responded quickly. The gym and pool were very nice, kept clean and always available. The location was wonderful. It is in a new section of Leawood with a little sitting park,shops and restaurants. It was lovely to be able to walk across the street with a book, buy a gelato and sit on Adirondack chairs and read. I definitely recommend this hotel if you are going to be in the Leawood/Overland Park area of Kansas City.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank israeltraveler215
Ozark, Missouri
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We got a fabulous deal on this hotel online. It was a good experience overall. I would not recommend this hotel for anyone who is older or has mobility issues, as you have to park in a garage and walk to the hotel. The distance is short so it was no big deal for us, but for some it could be an issue. The location absolutely cannot be beat. You can walk to multiple restaurants, bars, and shops. Since breakfast isn't included, I would highly suggest going to Ingredient across the street. Their food was tasty and priced well. We had no issues with the room space or cleanliness. If we got the same price, we would stay here again. The biggest issue for us was the noise. We were on the third floor near the elevators and could hear everything going on in the lobby below. A few more amenities, like breakfast and better parking would have been nice.
Pros: Clean room, fantastic location.
Cons: Noisy (we could hear music from the lobby/bar all night), no free breakfast

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor to avoid lobby noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank austin_autumn
Aledo, Illinois
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I am a huge fan of Starwood hotels, so I admittedly had pretty high expectations for the hotel. As people said, it requires a small walk to get to the parking garage which is only a problem if there is poor weather. I had no problem with this. The area when you walk in smells lovely and looks nice and trendy. My welcome at the front desk was at first odd because I had to wait 15 minutes, but then a cheerful lady checked me in. I was outraged that they put a $100 hold on your credit card, Why $100? Why not $50? There's not even pay TV in the room nor a mini bar. I don't get it.

I was in room 303 which had a very stale smell which smelled like an unclean person. I refreshed it with my body spray, but that didn't leave me too impressed. The bathroom area is gorgeous with the 2 sinks and the lovely shower. However, I find it terribly CHEAP (not green, CHEAP) that you aren't given little bottles of shampoo and body wash like other Starwood hotels. I felt like I was at the gym with their soap dispensers and the shampoo would not wash out of my hair easily. The water pressure was simply awful, which is a shame because the bathroom was the best part of the room.

The room itself was fine, the decor tried to be modern but it felt sort of forced and like a dorm room *as someone else pointed out*. There was no welcome book with welcome information in my room, which is normally found in most 3-star hotels. The coffee in the room tasted awful. I normally love my Starwood experiences, but this one didn't impress me.

THE AIR CONDITIONING IS SERIOUSLY LOUD. I am a fan of a little white noise, but the air conditioning unit was ridiculously loud and you wouldn't want to turn it off, as my side if the building faced the sun in the afternoon. If you're a light sleeper, you won't enjoy this.

My room was refreshed and was pretty clean (if you discount the strange smell at the beginning). The hotel was in a lovely area that you don't even have to leave. There are good restaurants and a cinema within walking distance.

Would I stay here again? I'd probably stay down the street at the Sheraton before I'd stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank nogentais1986
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leawood
Sheraton Overland Park Hotel at the Convention Center
Hyatt Place Overland Park/Convention Center
Hilton Garden Inn Overland Park
Hilton Garden Inn Overland Park
#4 of 37 in Overland Park
Homewood Suites by Hilton Kansas City/Overland Park
Marriott Kansas City Overland Park
Hyatt Place Kansas City/Overland Park/Metcalf

Been to Aloft Leawood - Overland Park? Share your experiences!