“On the surface, it's nice...”

Aloft Leawood - Overland Park
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Leawood
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here for two nights over Labor Day weekend. The positives: 1) Excellent location in a lovely promenade-type of setting with lots of shops and restaurants; 2) Sleek & sophisticated decor with a funky vibe; 3) FREE Internet; 4) Very nice indoor pool and well-equipped gym. The negatives: 1) NOISY. This hotel may look nice, but the walls are the thinnest ones I've ever come across. And if you stay above the patio area like we did, you are screwed if there's a party going on. For our second night, we were "treated" to horrible 80s and 90s dance music until about midnight; 2) Housekeeping was inept. Our room was not serviced during our stay. Two housekeepers were standing right outside of our room, and we TOLD them we were leaving for the day. When we came back, absolutely nothing was done; 3) The parking deck is a bit difficult to find at first and not clearly marked; 4) Rooms are slightly small, but I guess they don't need to be large - it is a minimalist style, after all. I realize nothing is perfect, but the Aloft fell short of my expectations. I would definitely steer clear of this hotel for both family and couples travel. I suppose it could be acceptable for business travel during weekdays and for the 20-somethings who like to party. I'm a 30-something, and I do enjoy a party every once in a while, but I also like my sleep!

Room Tip: If you get a room close to the patio, ask the front desk if you can be moved to a different room - i...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mdgrl79

Reviewed September 3, 2012

My wife and grandsons stayed at the aloft Leawood from August 31 through Sept 3rd. Things were OK (not a great hotel for kids) until the night of September 3rd when a "Linen Party" was held on the outdoor balcony with thunderous thumping music going until all hours of the night. Sounded like it was right next door - which it was. On calling reception, we were told that all guest were notified on arrival of the party (we were not).

I have to say this was the most miserable night I've stayed in hotel ever. The hotel needs to decide if it was to make its revenue from hosting loud parties or providing a restful night sleep to its guests.

The room was consistently short of towels. The cook slept in one morning so no coffee was available. Just a very badly managed place.

Stay away - far, far away.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the second foor. You'll need to bug the staff for towels, drinking glasses, et...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank doug0077
AloftLeawoodGM, General Manager at Aloft Leawood - Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Hi Doug0077,
I am sorry to hear that your stay wasn't more enjoyable. We did host a fundraiser that night and the party did go until midnight, I am sorry if the party kept you awake. I appreciate your feedback.

Jennifer Wilt, General Manager

Reviewed September 2, 2012

Hotel rooms are very minimalist and modern. They make great use of the small space. Great design. Walls are thin, though. And you can hear people in the hallway. We had the misfortune of staying in room 320 next to the elevator and right below the 2nd floor lobby. If you stay here, ask for a room on the 4th floor or higher. We only stayed for one night so it wasn't too bad. Had I known how noisy it would be and if we were staying longer, I would have definitely asked for a different room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th floor or higher.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2012

My family of four stayed here while at a wedding in town. This was THE funkiest hotel I've stayed in -- which is partly why we chose it. The teenagers loved it because it has novelty throughout. From the liquid-art elevator floor to the infinity pool and in-room technology hookups, they were wowed. My husband and I found it a fun departure from the usual, but I wouldn't make this a regular stop, nor choose it for business travel. It was too edgy and not relaxing. Pros: Clean, great location, very good food selections, quiet, fashionable. Cons: parking is far away and confusing to find, fragrance machines throughout common areas are overwhelming, bathroom design doesn't work for multiple people in a room (sink area is open to the room, so light and noise disturb anyone trying to sleep while another is using it), beds are stiff, heavy down/fill blankets are too hot, loud, high-energy music in the elevators is grating--especially early in the morning, the urban concrete/vibrant color decor is just not relaxing. It all comes down to personal style preference. This was ok for a weekend wedding, but long term, it's not my style.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
AloftLeawoodGM, General Manager at Aloft Leawood - Overland Park, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Hi Karin T,
Thanks for your review. We are the tWist in travel, very different from your cookie cutter hotel. I'm glad that your teenagers enjoyed the concept. Business travelers actually enjoy our property. We have everything that they need; complimentary business center, wireless printing, fastest internet connection in the area - and it's complimentary! If your in the area on business give us a whirl, I am sure you will find us functional and vibrant.

Cheers,
Jennifer Wilt, General Manager

Reviewed August 18, 2012

Comfortable hotel at a great location. Plenty of shops and nice restaurants in the area, the RA Sushi underneath the hotel is also a pretty good bar. Liked the trendy layout and the public areas especially the outside seating area on top of the entrance, the free to use pool table near reception a nice touch. Room was spacious and the shower simply amazing. Good free wifi throughout the Hotel.

Breakfast wasn't that impressive though and didn't use it as there were plenty of nearby places to go instead. Staff also didn't feel very professional or helpfull but this could be as I had a late night check-in at the start of the week and a very early check-out at the end (i.e. night staff)... not a good excuse but I'll give them the benefit of doubt. Would stay again when in Leawood/Overland Park.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 6, 2012

I stayed here because I was in a wedding and this is where the bride wanted the wedding party to stay....otherwise I probably would have never have stayed here. This hotel is in an excellent location as it is close to many restaurants and shops which is convenient. It definitely has a modern design to it. The hotel staff was very helpful and I never encountered anyone that didn't have a positive attitude. However, there are some things that just didn't sit right with me. The price for the room was just too much for what you got in my opinion. The bed was incredibly comfortable which was nice, but the air conditioner was loud and located right next to our bed (we got what I'm assuming is the basic king room). If you are bringing a lot of clothes that need to be hung up beware...the closet area is cramped. The room itself was a little on the small side and the walls were paper thin. In the morning I'm not sure if it was the room next to us or people in the hallway but I could hear their entire conversation. My biggest problem was with the shower. While I did like the shower itself, I'm not sure you could really call it a shower with that low of water pressure. I'm aware this is to conserve water but my goodness that was a joke. I did not purchase any food from re:fuel or visit the w xyz bar so I can not comment on that. I did like the outdoor patio that was located directly off the lobby. It had comfortable furnishings and was a nice place to hang out and relax. The hotel grounds were clean. They also don't charge you for the bottled water in your room which was a pleasant surprise as many hotels charge entirely way too much for bottled water.

All in all I would not stay at this hotel again. I just think they charge a little too much for what you get. Not really the best value for the money, but I did think it was a clean, comfortable, safe hotel. The staff was beyond friendly and helpful. I'm sure other people love it but it just wasn't for me.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This hotel is very nice. It is new and modern and is in a Great location! It is very close to good shopping and great food! The hotel is a very short distance off of 435 and therefore gives you very easy access to the city! There is a lounge in the hotel as well as a good sushi bar. There are also two very good restaurants just across the street. There is a large parking garage that is free to hotel guests!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dhackler30
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leawood
Sheraton Overland Park Hotel at the Convention Center
Hyatt Place Overland Park/Convention Center
Hilton Garden Inn Overland Park
Hilton Garden Inn Overland Park
#5 of 37 in Overland Park
Drury Inn & Suites Kansas City Overland Park
Hyatt Place Kansas City/Overland Park/Metcalf
Hampton Inn Kansas City/Overland Park

Been to Aloft Leawood - Overland Park? Share your experiences!