Aloft Leawood - Overland Park
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Fitness center
View Hotel
All reviewswithin walking distancecalifornia pizza kitchenparking situationrooms are smallrestaurants and shopsmovie theatersushi barkansas citynice showeroverland parklobby areabusiness travelerindoor poolcomfortable roomcoffee makerkc areaair conditioner
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Lots of good restaurants in walking distance, though the 801 Chophouse isn't one of them. I should have listened the front desk girl and gone to the Mexican place. Standard Aloft, but a great location. Parking is tough though, and not well marked at all. You cannot park at the hotel, but there is a close parking structure with free parking. They used to have valet parking and they really need it. Overall though, I liked the hotel. A saltwater pool in Kansas City? Unique! The rooms aren't though. They told me they upgraded me, but it looked like every other Aloft I have ever been in.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I completely agree with a previous review so I used the same title for my review.

This place is right smack dab in the middle of everything you'd ever need in terms of restaurants, bars, shopping, etc. But it reminded me of a college dorm room. Completely agree and think the rooms are designed by IKEA.

Air conditioner was incredibly loud and because the room is so small, that's a big problem. A much bigger problem in my opinion is the shower.........almost ZERO water pressure!!! I'm sure this is a byproduct of this chain being "green" but let me tell you, the shower is almost worthless (and everyone else I knew staying here during the meeting I attended said the same thing). I literally would dissuade anyone from staying here just because of how worthless the showers are. Not kidding one bit.

Breakfast area is really strange and noisy. Expensive for what you get, too.

I'm sure that I am not in the "desired or intended demographic" for ALoft as it is certainly geared towards a much younger set. The lobby/eating/business area is unique but not my cup of tea. I'm sure young people think it's hip & cool.

Take all of this information into account before booking Aloft.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank PATHRCO7
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Hi PATHRCO7,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. We do have an eco friendly shower head but you should still have good pressure, I will look into it and make sure the pressure is where it should be. I appreciate your feedback.

Cheers,
Jennifer Wilt, General Manager

Reviewed June 6, 2012

The rooms were cool looking. But when you're there for a romantic getaway, hearing your neighbors being intimate is the last thing you want. The showers were big enough for a football team. Loved the amenities and the staff was good.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Melissa G
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Enjoyed the convenience, comfort and cleanliness. AMC theatre was located across the street, along with shopping and several restaurants. Parking was the biggest issue, free but carrying luggage could be an issue in bad weather. Bottom line, we will definitely stay again, loved the area.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Periodictraveler_7
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Hi PeriodicTraveler_7,
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed the area and all if has to offer. We will look forward to your next visit!

Jennifer Wilt, General Manager

Reviewed May 18, 2012

I've been staying at the Aloft Leawood twice a week for the past several weeks. I also spent quite a few nights there last year so I think I have a pretty good handle on the place.

The location is GREAT! Park Place has lots of good restaurants (sushi, steak, pizza, brewery to name a few) and plenty of small shops. Town Center Mall is across the street with bigger stores and an AMC movie theatre. There's a parking deck next to the hotel so your car can be protected from the elements (Kansas can be prone to hail).

The hotel itself is different. Aloft is related to SPG's W chain and therefore tries to be hip and trendy. I prefer to think of it as Econo-W. There's just a cheap feeling to it and I don't think it's aging well. It looks like it was designed by Ikea.

The rooms are small with high concrete ceilings. The platform bed is comfortable and there's a large flat-screen TV. The rooms have free wi-fi and there's even a box on the built-in desktop next to the TV for connecting your computer or iPad to the TV. The bathroom has a large walk-in glass walled shower with over-sized shower head. Great! These are the good things.

On the downside, there's really no place to sit in the rooms. There's the desk chair and then a bench across from the bed that's right under the TV. About the only thing the bench is useful for is putting on your shoes or setting your suitcase. That leaves only the bed for sitting. The rooms have window heat/ac units so the fan motor can be a little loud. While the rooms are clean, the comforters on the beds are often lumpy for the filling clumping after washing.

They don't offer much in the way of food. For breakfast you can get cold packaged cereal, a few bakery goods, or their equivalent of an egg mcmuffin. I just skip the breakfast and take the extra SPG points I get.

As I said, the hotel isn't bad but I stay there for the location.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the front of the hotel. Rooms on the back side face Nall Ave. and can be noisier due to traffic. The lobby is on the second floor so I'd also avoid the third floor, which is over the bar.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business