“We like the restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of North Italia

North Italia
Reserve with OpenTable
North Italia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 101 Restaurants in Leawood
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Roe
Description: North, exemplifies a culinary tradition that blends sophisticated Italian cuisine with the comfort of traditional cooking techniques. The menu features dishes that are created from the freshest ingredients without the unnecessary adornments of cream or heavy sauces. Crispy thin crust pizza, wood roasted entrees, pasta specialties, and a variety of antipasti round out the menu. The world-class wine list features 30 selections by the glass, terzo (third of a bottle) or bottle. North also offers a variety of specialty cocktails.
Tel Aviv, Israel
“We like the restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2013

Its been a year since we visited this restaurant and we found it was the same good restaurant as before. I like the decor, the service was very good, we came a bit after the Sunday lunch rush so the atmosphere was more relaxed. The pastas were great and even though they do not have kids menu our two grandchildren got their plain pasta with grilled chicken without any hassle. It is a pleasure not to have to eat in one of those plain chain restaurants that you find in many shopping area, North is a refreshing change. One should take into consideration that the food a bit pricey.

• Visited January 2013

Kansas
“Good, but not as great as. Expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

This was my (too many to count) trip to NoRTH. Almost always an enjoyable evening. This time we took some friends for their first time. They were able to experience the excellent service, and "exciting" environment. It was New Years Eve, and so it was a price fixe menu. THE major misstep, and I was surprised (if not embarrassed for the staff), was how overcooked the scallops were. VERY tough and VERY dry, We had to convince our guests that this not the norm. Maybe we can convince them to return with us on a more normal night.

1 Thank DaddyYo
“Thumbs down on the homemade pasta”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Since moving to KC from the Northeast I've been looking for Italian restaurants that make homemade pasta. I've always loved the fresh taste of homemade pasta but I know it can be tricky for the inexperienced. I was told to come here to give it a try. Apparently only two or three pastas on the menu are homemade so I decided to try the fettuccine with shrimp dish. The sauce and shrimp tasted delicious with just a bit of spiciness, delicious, however, the fettuccine was terrible. I was very disappointed. I ate it anyway and pointed this out to "the person going around table to table" (I am assuming he was a manager). He tried to explain to me how homemade pasta should taste. Ha! I grew up on homemade pasta coming from Philly and from an Italian family! Homemade pasta should be almost creamy/buttery and tender, not chewy like a piece of gum): So go for the processed pasta dishes instead, unfortunately those taste better.

Overland Park, Kansas
“Pasta lovers will enjoy it - others should select carefully”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012

I live in the area and have eaten at North several times, most recently last night. The atmosphere is open with tables fairly close and a high ceiling creating a buzz of white noise drowning out your neighbors' conversations. In the winter, the outdoor seating area is closed but window seats have a nice view of the suburban street.

The dinner menu has several pastas (with and without meat), pizza, and entrees including beef spare ribs, a steak, two chicken dishes, etc. The key to this restaurant is knowing that the pastas and pizzas are better than the entrees. My prior experience with fish, steak, and chicken dishes has left me thinking there is nothing special about their preparation so I understand a recent review characterizing the food as average. My wife usually gets the pasta and until recently I was working my way through the entrees trying to find one that was really good (the spare rib came closest.) She loves the place and I found the food so-so until I realized the key is to avoid the entrees and stick to the pastas (or a cracker crust pizza if not super hungry.) Now my view of the restaurant has raised a notch.

Usually there are no food specials. The wine is pricy but on Wednesdays all wine - including by the glass or bottle - is half-price.

Last night my wife and I shared a caesar salad which has changed from a traditional caesar dressing on romaine lettuce and now is a mix of greens resembling a spring mix with a vinaigrette dressing with several home-made croutons (soft bread lightly grilled, but not crisp). The salad was a little bitter, especially for a caesar. My pappardelle pasta with small pieces of short rib in a slightly spicy and savory sauce was excellent. My wife had the chicken parmesan which she enjoyed (a departure from her usual pasta selection.) The service was slow, perhaps because of two large parties in the restaurant.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
novi
“Very Good Northern Italian”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2012

Visited on a slow Sunday evening when bottles of wine were half off. Decent wine selection.

Calimari is served with greens and was a decent appetizer. Specialties seemed to be 5 or 6 reasonably priced house made pasta dishes. My bolognese was a little too salty with noodles a little under cooked. My spinach dish never came and was deducted from the bill with apologies. However, the other 5 people I was with said their sauce was perfect and noodles cooked perfectly.

Good ambience and service was superb. Yes I will come back and try the other dishes.

• Visited December 2012